Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Oz!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Cupcake.

Hi All :)

WELCOME to Melbs to the new arrivals!! I hope you're settling in well. The apartment/job hunt can be stressful at times so hang in there!

There's something to do every weekend if you're stuck for ideas a good website is www.weekendnotes.com.au or http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au.

This weekend will be a cracker - 25 degrees+ and Ireland v's the Wallabies! C'mon Ireland!!

I still feel very homesick but a good way to overcome it is to do fun stuff so here is a list of some fun things to do to get started:

1. AFL Game
    2. South Melbourne Market
    3. Pub crawl on Chapel street
    4. Colonial tramcar restaurant
    5. Run a few laps of the tan
    6. The Great Ocean road
    7. A comedy gig (there's loads of them)
    8. Coffee on Degraves street
    9. Cruise on the Yarra
    10. BBQ and beer.

Enjoy!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Someone help me out here where in the cbd is showing the match tomorrow? Confirmed

Turf Bar - http://www.turfbar.com.au/whatson.html

Pj O'Briens - http://www.pjobriens.com.au/southbank/

Limerick Arms Hotel - http://www.limerickhotel.com.au/

All confirmed showing.:)

oh turf bar have not been there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mr Mister

A while since I've been on here - good to see everyone is settling in well...if not a little homesick. I've done a lot of stuff on Cupcakes list and would recommend them all - but being a northsider I'd have to plump for the Queen Victoria market!

Finding Melbourne to be a great city - I love the way all the inner suburbs have their own vibe about them. We got sorted with a great apartment in Fitzroy so delighted to have that out of the way. Starting the job hunt now and while I've only scratched the surface there seems to be plenty out there.

@lucylocket - the drinks fell through last time mainly because I thought I had an Australian phone and sim but turns out they werent working, so I left poor old Seanie K in the lurch. Cant do drinks this weekend as off to the MCG tonight and then off to a party for the match tomorrow. Will probably end up heading out for the Dublin game Sunday so could be a busy weekend ahead (of mainly sport!). Maybe in a couple of weeks time we could get something organised. Great stuff about the apartment too, South Yarra is great spot, just a little out of our price range!

• Advertisement

Mr. Mister - haha...Queen Vic has better bargains but as a south sider I'll stick with spacious south melb ;)

Is there any fun things you've done that you'd reccomend?

Zambia - The turf bar is good craic but a little warning it was packed to the rafters for the Ire v's US match so i'd imagine it'll be manic on saturday! Good atmosphere though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Cupcake. wrote: »

Zambia - The turf bar is good craic but a little warning it was packed to the rafters for the Ire v's US match so i'd imagine it'll be manic on saturday! Good atmosphere though :)

I was actually surprised as we got seats no problem in section we were in. Most of the Aussies left after their game so will probably be much busier tomorrow with both sets of supporters in. Will probably go in for SA v Fiji game anyway, to get settled for the main event :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Leaving Ireland tomorrow 3 weeks....wow can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Did you get in contact with any estate agents before you headed over or only did ya only start house hunting when you arrived?

I'd been browsing before I came over but didn't contact any agencies til I got here. Found our apartment on realestate.com.au
    Gumtree seems pretty good as well. We got lucky. The apartment is fully furnished.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Gossipgal

I'm 8 weeks GiftofGab, whereabouts are you headed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Just secured 457 sponsorship for a job in Australia. Should be heading out in around 4 weeks! Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

irishmover wrote: »
    Just secured 457 sponsorship for a job in Australia. Should be heading out in around 4 weeks! Can't wait.

congrats. well done - how dya manage that?! Poxy :P

congrats. well done - how dya manage that?! Poxy :P

Absolute pure luck to be honest ha!

Just got my degree and two weeks ago this company in Oz were advertising about 15-20 grad positions for British/Irish graduates of my degree discipline. So had an interview yesterday and got a phone call last night to say I'll be offered a contract which I got today. Seems like a great company, so yeh just very lucky. Working conditions will be tough from what I gather, but couldnt refuse the offer.

My degree isn't fantastic, I got a 2:2. It was the work experience I had during college that I think made it easier.

I guess just keep trying and if you want it bad enough you'll get it!

First time moving away from home for me, gonna be a big change! Thankfully lots of relatives are out in Oz so shouldn't be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Absolute pure luck to be honest ha!

Just got my degree and two weeks ago this company in Oz were advertising about 15-20 grad positions for British/Irish graduates of my degree discipline. So had an interview yesterday and got a phone call last night to say I'll be offered a contract which I got today. Seems like a great company, so yeh just very lucky. Working conditions will be tough from what I gather, but couldnt refuse the offer.

My degree isn't fantastic, I got a 2:2. It was the work experience I had during college that I think made it easier.

I guess just keep trying and if you want it bad enough you'll get it!

First time moving away from home for me, gonna be a big change! Thankfully lots of relatives are out in Oz so shouldn't be too bad.

Do you mind me asking what your degree is in?

Do you mind me asking what your degree is in?

Geomatics

Geomatics
    I am still no wiser. Of to google I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Zambia wrote: »
    I am still no wiser. Of to google I go.

land-surveyors-image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gazmc18

Have enjoyed reading this thread and seeing how everyone is getting on.

Heading to Sydney in 4 weeks arriving on the 27th, getting fairly excited.
    Everyone on here seems to be in Melbourne! I am heading over with my partner if anyone is around Sydney area and fancies a pint give me a shout:)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elliott550

Hello folks. Of to Melbourne in a week, stressed outta my head! Going on my tod and very little ready. Some money I was hoping to come through hasn't so only gona to have about 2000e on me. Hopefully that'l be enough until I get a wage in!? Thinking of booking base hostel anyone any experience's of it?

Also wondering how rigorously Oz employers check Irish references? I was a poker player for 5 years and i'm debating if I should be putting that in my CV... I only really want some kind of sales/admin job.

Really enjoyed reading the thread, best of luck to everyone out there and on their way!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

Hey Elliot, Can't really help re amployers as I'm stilla lady of leisure ha, I've been in Base (didn't actually stay there was just on a session there) seems like a good hostel though, Anyone I spoke to that was staying there seemed to like it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

elliott550 wrote: »
    Hello folks. Of to Melbourne in a week, stressed outta my head! Going on my tod and very little ready. Some money I was hoping to come through hasn't so only gona to have about 2000e on me. Hopefully that'l be enough until I get a wage in!? Thinking of booking base hostel anyone any experience's of it?

Also wondering how rigorously Oz employers check Irish references? I was a poker player for 5 years and i'm debating if I should be putting that in my CV... I only really want some kind of sales/admin job.

Really enjoyed reading the thread, best of luck to everyone out there and on their way!

I stayed in Base when I 1st came to Melbourne last November. Great hostel if you want to party and have a good time etc. Make sure u check out a Thursday night in there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Geomatics

Are you working FIFO?

I graduated from Geomatics 4 years ago and have experience in mining and quarrying. The wages that are being offered in Oz are bordering on ridiculous 3/4 times what im on here. 457 visa being offered to me too.

Anybody on here moved from a nice safe life in Ireland to a FIFO job for a few years? Is it possible to make a new life on your time off? Most of the jobs ive inquired about are either 9/5 or 8/6.

Id love to do it but i need to find the balls..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Getting ready to head over on the 4th of october, Havent got the pre- move nerves yet, Heading to Sydney, Any idea what the best hostel would be for there

Sundy wrote: »
    Geomatics

Are you working FIFO?

I graduated from Geomatics 4 years ago and have experience in mining and quarrying. The wages that are being offered in Oz are bordering on ridiculous 3/4 times what im on here. 457 visa being offered to me too.

Anybody on here moved from a nice safe life in Ireland to a FIFO job for a few years? Is it possible to make a new life on your time off? Most of the jobs ive inquired about are either 9/5 or 8/6.

Id love to do it but i need to find the balls..

Yeh it's FIFO. Can I ask the name of the company you got offered by? Maybe you got offered from the same company as me? It's a exploration company I'll be working for. A new surveying department. I've got summer and work placement experience in Tara mines. Was hoping to get involved with a mining company out there but nothing materialized. Just delighted I got this job to be honest.

Contract offer is great. Waiting on the visa application to come through which should be next week then I'll be heading out. I reckon it'll be around the middle of October at the latest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ammo123

astonaidan wrote: »
    Getting ready to head over on the 4th of october, Havent got the pre- move nerves yet, Heading to Sydney, Any idea what the best hostel would be for there

Haven't stayed there myself but heard Wake Up in the centre, on Georges St. I stayed in Base in the centre-was average...but clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ammo123

elliott550 wrote: »

you should be grand with that amount of money, if your happy to take any admin position to start with you'll get work very quickly. They do like to check the references though so try and have them ready to get yourself going more quickly. I signed up with an agency I previously worked with in Dublin which meant they sorted my references between themselves and I was able to start immediately when some of my friends had to wait for references to come through.

I stayed in the Nunnery for about two months when I arrived...took my time house hunting, was really comfortable there and friendly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Never had a reference checked. Not an Irish one anyway. Work here isnt plentiful but it is there, Id say 2-3 weeks of bugging the crap out of Recruitment agents will get you in somewhere on a temp role.

Defo dont put Poker Player on your CV. Get a relation in a company, a friend or something to give a reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dwyerirish

Yeh it's FIFO. Can I ask the name of the company you got offered by? Maybe you got offered from the same company as me? It's a exploration company I'll be working for. A new surveying department. I've got summer and work placement experience in Tara mines. Was hoping to get involved with a mining company out there but nothing materialized. Just delighted I got this job to be honest.

Contract offer is great. Waiting on the visa application to come through which should be next week then I'll be heading out. I reckon it'll be around the middle of October at the latest.

Hey irishmover, im pretty sure from the details you have given on this thread that i got offered the same job as you.
    I too studied Geomatics, graduated 4 years ago.
    I had my interview in the Red Cow and the 457 visa application has been lodged.
    I've been unemployed for a month and cant wait to get stuck into this. :)
    You should Pm me.

dwyerirish wrote: »

Hey irishmover, im pretty sure from the details you have given on this thread that i got offered the same job as you.
    I too studied Geomatics, graduated 4 years ago.
    I had my interview in the Red Cow and the 457 visa application has been lodged.
    I've been unemployed for a month and cant wait to get stuck into this. :)
    You should Pm me.

Sent you a pm mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

I'd been browsing before I came over but didn't contact any agencies til I got here. Found our apartment on realestate.com.au
    Gumtree seems pretty good as well. We got lucky. The apartment is fully furnished.

Yeh I think i'll be looking for a furnished one as well. Having to kit out our apartment is the last thing me and the gf will want to be doing if we manage to find a nice place..

Advertisement