Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emmigrate to The US

• 05-06-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

Was just wondering about emmigrating to the US. I have an uncle in New York and my girlfriend has family in Los Angeles.
    Anyway we realize that with the way the country is now (and the job situation as it is) that maybe we should travel.
    We both love the US and would love to try live there. She has a degree in E-Office and I have a Cert (2 Years of College) in I.T. and alot of accountancy experience (but no qualification). We know all about applying for the green card but fact that alot of places charge over €100 for few years and fact you aren't guaranteed is a bit of a put-off. Also we don't have the years to sit around and wait.

I know how hard it is and it probably is impossible but could some people maybe inform us of best options and necessary information i.e. how much money is needed entering the country etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

An uncle-nephew relationship isn't close enough to get a visa. What kind of family does your girlfriend have over there? You can only get a family visa for children, spouses, parents and siblings (and for siblings it takes many years on the waiting list).

I don't think either of you have enough of "highly skilled/ sought after" work experience for a H1B visa (work visa leading to a greencard). One option is always the diversity visa lottery.

There are a couple of easier visas to get, but they do not directly lead to greencards; one option is an F1 student visa if you wanted to study some more, but you need to study full-time, which is quite expensive in the USA, and can only work up to 20 hours on-campus. Another option if you recently (in the last year) graduated is the J1 internship visa, where you can work for a year.

For all of these visas you'd need top either both qualify separately, or be married to be able to bring your partner along. In terms of money, in some cases an employer sponsors you, in other cases you need a sponsor (friend, family member) or sufficient assets, so how much money you need depends. For a family visa the sponsor needs $18'400 if it is just you and them, or five times as much in assets. If you happen to have lots of money (around $500'000), you can also apply for an investors visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muffinman1

Yeah my girlfriends relations are just an Aunt and her family. Both our qualifications are over a year old and we probably don't have elite working skills.
    Was just trying I think in hope to see if there was a way without putting money in to paying for a green card lottery and the hances at getting that are slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You don't "pay" to enter the green card lottery. Applications are free. Anywhere you see on the internet charging are scams.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD COMMENT:
    Moved to United States.

Advertisement