Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late night bus to Galway from Dublin Airport

• 05-06-2011 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know if there is any bus to Galway from Dublin after 1 am? I've checked Go Bus, City Link and Bus Eireann, the last one seems to be City Link at 00.45. :/ Is there any other bus company? This is crazy, there is so many flights arriving to Dublin at night. What those people should do -sleep at the airport? Three main bus services and none at night! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Surely you only have to wait about three or four hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I think they're the only three that do them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Ficheall wrote: »
    Surely you only have to wait about three or four hours?

If your plane is in Dublin at 00, its 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I have this exact same issue coming back from Malta in two weeks at 23:45, we're gonna have to drive and park as the OH won't hang around till 5. It's annoying alright, surely they could sacrifice one bus during the day and run it around 2 or 3 as this is not the first time this has happened me.

Exactly, its crazy, sooo many buses during the day and non in the night time! I dont get it. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

softmee wrote: »
    Exactly, its crazy, sooo many buses during the day and non in the night time! I dont get it. :mad:

What don't you get?
    Get in touch with all three bus companies and ask them if it is profitable to run another nightly bus service from Dublin to a provincial destination. Let us know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are "only" the three companies, at least doing services at night.

They've done lots of experiments with the times, and have had early morning departures from Dublin in the past. However I guess the demand just isn't there, because those services got canned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Your post should be about the lack of late night flights into Galway from your chosen point of departure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Sorry about all the questions but What day are you arriving back to DUB, What time, airlien and Terminal.

If I have these I should be able to tell you how long it would take to get from plane to coach park.
    I have this exact same issue coming back from Malta in two weeks at 23:45,

If you arrive at 23:45 you will make the 00:45 bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The bus companies operate out of profit so unfortunately this means that if not enough people travel at a certain time then you're screwed.
    It's worse from Shannon.

Mind if you come in on a late flight it's usually a breeze through customs etc so you have time to take the last bus.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Sorry about all the questions but What day are you arriving back to DUB, What time, airlien and Terminal.

If I have these I should be able to tell you how long it would take to get from plane to coach park.

I think the last one is City Link at 00:15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Does Nestor Link still do that route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Does Nestor Link still do that route?

They turned into GoBus a while ago ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

JustMary wrote: »
    They turned into GoBus a while ago ....

Ah I didn't realise that. I've used Gobus before and just assumed they were a different company. I'm a bit thick really.

There is about 10 or more planes landing in Dublin beetween 00:00 and 5am - about 1000 people - no bus. I know most of them is not heading to Galway probably, but still! Its annoying. I've send email to Gobus and City Link and Gobus answer was -there was a bus at 1,but they didnt get enough people on it, so this service is no longer provided. I think they should bring it back at least during the summer holidays and not at 1am, but later -like 2.30, so people ariving at around 00:00 could wait this 2 hours and people arriving later could still catch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yeah they had one later one that came from the airport directly to Galway (didn't do city pick up) and it didn't get enough business. Perhaps a 245 from the airport that did a city p/u at 3.15? Good for people at a lateish gig. Grab some chips and bus home. Might dothe biz if it combined city and airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I think they should bring it back at least during the summer holidays and not at 1am, but later -like 2.30, so people ariving at around 00:00 could wait this 2 hours and people arriving later could still catch it.
    To make it economical I think it needs to be reasonably full in both directions or jammers in one direction. Would there really be demand for a service from Galway to Dublin Airport arriving at 2:00 in excess of the demand already there for the service arriving at 4:15? Or would a 2:30 bus departing Dublin Airport be so full that it would be worthwhile sending a bus empty from Galway to meet that demand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    As long as the baggage handlers and gardai at immigration are working smoothly and you don't get pulled for a random customs search.

To make it economical I think it needs to be reasonably full in both directions or jammers in one direction. Would there really be demand for a service from Galway to Dublin Airport arriving at 2:00 in excess of the demand already there for the service arriving at 4:15? Or would a 2:30 bus departing Dublin Airport be so full that it would be worthwhile sending a bus empty from Galway to meet that demand?

Most of the people would rather pay twice as for day ticket, just not to waste so much time and spend night on uncomfortable plastic airpost chair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

Why do you expect the bus company to run at a loss just to facilitate a few people. Running a business is hard enough these days and they need to do whatever they can to make money.
    If there is a bus at 00.45 and one at 5 then thats only a 4 hour wait seriously that is no big deal at all

• Advertisement

Why do you expect the bus company to run at a loss just to facilitate a few people. Running a business is hard enough these days and they need to do whatever they can to make money.
    If there is a bus at 00.45 and one at 5 then thats only a 4 hour wait seriously that is no big deal at all

As i mentioned before, there is no bus at 00:45 and I doubt every bus during the day is full if there is more then one every hour (if you count all city link, gobus, bus eirann). To make money on night bus they should just make ticets more expensive for this service and run it later, thats it.

(I was on bus from Dublin few times during the day and there was only me and maybe 5 more people)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

The last bus is at 00:15, you obviously haven't spent anytime hanging around airports if you think a 5 hour wait at nighttime when you should be sleeping after arriving home from a holiday is nothing.

Hanging around airports is soul destroying, only a Muppet would think otherwise

The last bus is at 00:15, you obviously haven't spent anytime hanging around airports if you think a 5 hour wait at nighttime when you should be sleeping after arriving home from a holiday is nothing.

Hanging around airports is soul destroying, only a Muppet would think otherwise

Actually I have spent loads of time hanging around airports I travel regularly, I have spent as much as 12 hours waiting in airports. Its a bit of inconvenince but soul destroying is an unbelievable over reaction.

Its obviously not viable to run buses through the night and I can also see why it would be a lot of effort to get a bus driver to do one trip at 2 in the morning and then have them wait around again

Actually I have spent loads of time hanging around airports I travel regularly, I have spent as much as 12 hours waiting in airports. Its a bit of inconvenince but soul destroying is an unbelievable over reaction.

Its obviously not viable to run buses through the night and I can also see why it would be a lot of effort to get a bus driver to do one trip at 2 in the morning and then have them wait around again

This time its not me who is going to travel, but somebody who is not young and healthy, so I cant let this person wait that long and as i have only provisional license i cant go there myself unfortunately.

"it would be a lot of effort to get a bus driver to do one trip at 2 in the morning"

-are you serious? There are night buses in every country in Europe, just here they think everyone can just use a car and thats why traffic is so bad . I am sure there is plenty unemployed bus drivers who wouldnt mind!

Well if its such a big deal about waiting around why cant they go to a hotel for the night and get the bus in the morning?
    The last bus to cork leaves at 18.15 now thats something to complain about

Well if its such a big deal about waiting around why cant they go to a hotel for the night and get the bus in the morning?

Maybe because they are coming from the country where 1eu is 4pln, so they would prefere to spend their money on something more pleasant then airport hotel for half night. :rolleyes: Imagine you have to spend 200eu on this somewhere in US for example.

Ok, i only wanted to find out if there is any bus service i dont know about. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The last bus to cork leaves at 18.15 now thats something to complain about
    was just going to say that, having travelled extensively through Europe i have had to this on countless occasions in cities where buses were not an option for getting to the airport at maybe 4,5 or 6a.m

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dags

This time its not me who is going to travel, but somebody who is not young and healthy, so I cant let this person wait that long and as i have only provisional license i cant go there myself unfortunately.

"it would be a lot of effort to get a bus driver to do one trip at 2 in the morning"

-are you serious? There are night buses in every country in Europe, just here they think everyone can just use a car and thats why traffic is so bad . I am sure there is plenty unemployed bus drivers who wouldnt mind!
    Now now don't be silly its simple not cost effective, if you had a group booking you'd have no problem in organising a coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

If it is that big of a problem why would you book a flight that lands at that time of night

• Advertisement

Jesus, people.. :rolleyes:

Jesus, people.. :rolleyes:
    Uhoh, everyone disagreeing with you again Softmee? :o

Uhoh, everyone disagreeing with you again Softmee? :o

Yes, disagreeing whether or not i need bus at night.. :pac:

-and yes i got used to it - my views are not popular and i am happy with it ...:cool:

Yes, disagreeing whether or not i need bus at night.. :pac:

-and yes i got used to it - my views are not popular and i am happy with it ...:cool:
    You do understand that not everyone is going to agree with everything you say yes? So why bother posting if you are just gonna make a joke out of your own point. Strange!!!!!

You do understand that not everyone is going to agree with everything you say yes? So why bother posting if you are just gonna make a joke out of your own point. Strange!!!!!

Strange is that people bother argueing with somebody who need a bus at night. :confused:

Strange is that people bother argueing with somebody who need a bus at night. :confused:
    You are confusing arguing with giving their opinion which happens to disagree with your point. There is nothing strange about people not agreeing with something they don't see the point of.

• Advertisement

You are confusing arguing with giving their opinion which happens to disagree with your point. There is nothing strange about people not agreeing with something they don't see the point of.

Give up and go to sleep! :pac:

Give up and go to sleep! :pac:
    Ah how adult and intelligent of you. Another great point to back up your porous arguments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Is there a bit of sexual tension building up in here?!:pac:

papagormo wrote: »
    Is there a bit of sexual tension building up in here?!:pac:
    Christ i hope not, might need to go the thread on the sex shop if there is :D

ernier.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Good night.

(if anybody knows about any secret bus coming from Dublin to Galway at night please let me know)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Christ i hope not, might need to go the thread on the sex shop if there is :D

Yeah, I've read through most of the Adult Sex shop thread at this stage, echoing some of the posts that were made in that thread, I'm beginning to wonder the OP's motives, but that's not for discussion here.
    ernier.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Good night.

(if anybody knows about any secret bus coming from Dublin to Galway at night please let me know)

haha, nice pic!:D
    Ah I was only teasing, night night, honestly don't think there are any other buses that have not already been mentioned sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I got codded with the same thing. As there are a good selection of buses from Galway to Dublin airport at night time, I naively assumed that there would be buses at night-time in the opposite direction too! I guess it is logical that there would be more demand going to the airport, than back from it.

Aah well, a 5 hour wait for me this Saturday night.

Advertisement