Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romantic Getaway in Donegal

Options
  • 05-06-2011 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate advice on booking a romantic location for my husband's birthday and our wedding anniversary which is coming up soon.

I have my heart set on visiting Donegal (any part of the county) as my husband and I have never been there together. I was looking online and two places stand out for me - Lough Eske Castle and Harvey's Point.

I would appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Mrs D :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate advice on booking a romantic location for my husband's birthday and our wedding anniversary which is coming up soon.

I have my heart set on visiting Donegal (any part of the counnty) as my husband and I have never been there together. I was looking online and two places stand out for me - Lough Eske Castle and Harvey's Point.

I would appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Mrs D :)

Solis lough Eske would be better that harvey's point IMO, more modern and better finished, and most likely you's would find Solis more romantic too. Its ideally located too, as in for going on beach hill walks ect. Have a look here for a few ideas on things to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Rathmullen House is a good call too :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

Love Rathmullen House and surrounding areas!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I think Lough Eske is way nicer than Harvey's Point (doesn't have a same view of the lake though). There's a lovely spa there as well apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Penfailed wrote: »
    Rathmullen House is a good call too :)
    Many thanks for your post. I had a look at their website and I'm very impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Many thanks for your post. I had a look at their website and I'm very impressed.

I've stayed there a couple of times - lovely :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Love Rathmullen House and surrounding areas!

I had a tour of the place once. Prepared lunch in the kitchen. It's a nice place. I'd go again.

You can also ask them to do something special for your husband. they do request like that I think. Like a man with a violin or rose petals on the bed etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

I live within a mile of both hotels and I personally would prefer Harveys Point. Just a personal preference - Lough Else Solis is definitley fancier and posher and the prices will reflect this. If you want hospitality and comfort in the bar then I would prefer to sit in Harveys as the clientele would be a little more forthcoming and friendly. If you want to be yourself and have nobody attempt to talk to you then the Solis. If you are going at a weekend I would go for the Solis as Harveys gets ridiculous crowds on Sundays for their lunch. They have the best reputation for food in the town and surrounding area and as you will guess it can be quite hectic.

Both hotels have their merits but be warned they are both c.4/5 miles outside of town so you are cut of if you decide you want to have a drink or two during the day. Taxis are the only option then. Little tip - make sure you visit Slieve League and Glengesh Pass. Breathtaking and very romantic surrounded by wilderness

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Thank you so much SM746 for such wonderful advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you make it to Rathmullan then just drive on for another couple of miles (to Portsalon) to take in the view from here

• Advertisement
Advertisement