Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchase in haste, repent at leisure? (Galaxy S / Omnia 7)

Options
  • 05-06-2011 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭

Little help here please folks.

It's probably a complete marmite/vegemite decision I'm sure, but my poor disconsolate wife has lost her iphone 4, and her husband (me) is planning to rush out and try and cheer her up with a replacement.

I really like the Omnia 7 myself, just from the odd play in a 3 store earlier on this year when I was shopping for myself, the whole android think I know little enough about.

So, coming from an iphone, light general smartphone use, facebook, mail, music etc, if you were rushing out to wave cash under an adverts.ie or donedeal seller's nose, which handset would you plumb for?

(I can't afford the obvious replacement iphone, I only bought her the one she lost for Valentine's Day! :()

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I love the omnia it's one of the most solid feeling phones released in a long time, it badly needs an update to compete properly with android and iPhone. 3 haven't said when the update is out : (. It will make a really nice phone an excellent phone.

I'd get her another iPhone 4, the android phones are not polished enough yet if your used to iPhone. I've been trying the galaxy s2 and the Sony experia arc over the weekend and the iPhone still feels better to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭cannonballer

Did she have the 'Find my iPhone' feature enabled?

Im not a big fan of the android phones myself I find them very clunky to use in comparison to the iPhone. And there is a big iOS update being announced on monday.

If she has spent money on a bunch of iOS apps etc then I would tend to stay in the iPhone ecosystem as there are more regular updates and new features being added.

I like really like the touch and feel of the Samsung Omnia 7. I find the keyboard needs a little getting used to, camera quality is pretty good. I like the windows OS better than Andriod,

Im not sure about it syncing to iTunes though. Spec wise the Omnia is ok its about 80euro cheaper than an iPhone, but only comes with 8gb memory verses the iPhones 16gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Cheers.

Like I said, I can't afford the asking prices for iphones at the moment, and certainly not twice in 4 months!

Omnia's are much more keenly priced. And to be fair, are a visually stunning. I went for the almost default choice iphone 4 myself ages ago, but at the time, one on one, the omnia 7 made the iphone OS look staid and old and tired.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

fat bloke wrote: »
    Cheers.

Like I said, I can't afford the asking prices for iphones at the moment, and certainly not twice in 4 months!

Omnia's are much more keenly priced. And to be fair, are a visually stunning. I went for the almost default choice iphone 4 myself ages ago, but at the time, one on one, the omnia 7 made the iphone OS look staid and old and tired.

The omina 7 is a windows mobile isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

godtabh wrote: »
    The omina 7 is a windows mobile isn't it?

Its "Windows Phone" :)

Go for the Omnia 7. If light general smartphone use, facebook, mail, music is what she needs all of this is integrated straight into the phone and will do her fine.

I dont think i hear anyone complaining about Zune on the phone. I love it myself. I find the mail client to be nicer than iOS and alot more than Android anyway. Then facebook is integrated into the phone. Next updated will bring even more features around Autumn. So its definetly a good replacement.

If shes a light user she should be able to get out atleast 2 days of battery life as well. If you can pick it up on a low price. I got mine brand new in box with receipt for 250 around february :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Its "Windows Phone" :)

Go for the Omnia 7. If light general smartphone use, facebook, mail, music is what she needs all of this is integrated straight into the phone and will do her fine.

I dont think i hear anyone complaining about Zune on the phone. I love it myself. I find the mail client to be nicer than iOS and alot more than Android anyway. Then facebook is integrated into the phone. Next updated will bring even more features around Autumn. So its definetly a good replacement.

If shes a light user she should be able to get out atleast 2 days of battery life as well. If you can pick it up on a low price. I got mine brand new in box with receipt for 250 around february :)

Yeah I know we're the WP7 fanboys around here, but honest to God if I was getting a new smartphone for my wife in the morning then it wouldn't be an Android; too many of my friends with "simpler" phone requirements (still not sure why they buy smartphones at all) find Android a pain to use. WP7 is simple to use, rock solid, and has facebook built right in to the OS (status updates, photo sharing, contacts and commenting etc). The keyboard is very very good. Email is simple to use. Most of the other major apps you would need are either free or ad-supported, if she would need many other apps at all.

But like cannonballer said, if she had built up a suite of apps on her iPhone then no matter what other handset you get her she's going to miss those apps. Android, with it's bigger appstore, is more likely to have similar apps, but then again WP7 already has a decent sized appstore itself.

On the other hand, you might want to hold off on the replacement smartphone for now and give her the old Nokia 3210 (there's one in a drawer in every house in the country); let her use that for a month and that'll learn her to keep an eye on her phone in future ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭fat bloke

d give her the old Nokia 3210 (there's one in a drawer in every house in the country); let her use that for a month and that'll learn her to keep an eye on her phone in future ;)

Ha ha ha :)

Well, I went for the Omnia. Took a punt on one on donedeal, boxed and unlocked, and she's delighted with it.

Job's a good 'un.

Smashing yoke. I'd nearly be tempted to give her my iphone and use the omnia myself for a while. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭WebGeek

Good -job man. Important to keep the missus happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭First Focus

as i said i'm hijaking this, i want to buy a new iphone (lost my old one :'( so sad) looking on adverts and have found one that i like the sound of the price, he said he can give me receipt /invoice and warranty for insurance (not getting caught that way again), i am afraid that maybe my bad luck will raise its ugly mug again and maybe the phone is a fake or some other reason i could be caught for more money, can anyone give me advice on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

as i said i'm hijaking this, i want to buy a new iphone (lost my old one :'( so sad) looking on adverts and have found one that i like the sound of the price, he said he can give me receipt /invoice and warranty for insurance (not getting caught that way again), i am afraid that maybe my bad luck will raise its ugly mug again and maybe the phone is a fake or some other reason i could be caught for more money, can anyone give me advice on it.

What kind of advice do you want? I would advise you to not get an iphone, but that probably isn't what you want to hear.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    What kind of advice do you want? I would advise you to not get an iphone, but that probably isn't what you want to hear.
    Exactly, i loved my last one, hands down it was as good as a laptop at times, advice wated is would ye recommend buying from this fella on adverts

Exactly, i loved my last one, hands down it was as good as a laptop at times, advice wated is would ye recommend buying from this fella on adverts

Well there are some genuine sales out there :) I mean your withing your full rightss to check it out at the spot that everything is working perfect. If your happy with how it works go for it. You can print out a small little statement and ask him to sign over the official ownership of the phone to you if your scared that hes going to report it lost or stolen and block the phone. It will also help for your warranty as in some instances your allowed to transfer the ownership and the warranty to yourself with the agreement in writing from the original owner. I had that done when i bought the HD7 on adverts.ie

Thanks for that advice, i think i am after chickening out, its a lot of money to be forking out, especially as he first had up an o2 iphone, then vodafone aand now a 3 one, i mean like if it was just one network i would have thought it was an unwanted upgrade, but then he told me he would try get me a one in my network,:eek: bit dodgy for me i'm afraid, But thank you for your time

Thanks for that advice, i think i am after chickening out, its a lot of money to be forking out, especially as he first had up an o2 iphone, then vodafone and now a 3 one, i mean like if it was just one network i would have thought it was an unwanted upgrade, but then he told me he would try get me a one in my network,:eek: bit dodgy for me i'm afraid, But thank you for your time

Well its not that. Some people. Especially on boards.ie or adverts.ie switch their phones around like socks :) So i mean since my first smartphone i didnt have any of them for longer than a year. It was always under a year :)

Like i have my omnia for about 5-6 months and id love to get a new one now :)

Well its not that. Some people. Especially on boards.ie or adverts.ie switch their phones around like socks :) So i mean since my first smartphone i didnt have any of them for longer than a year. It was always under a year :)

Like i have my omnia for about 5-6 months and id love to get a new one now :)
    I know ya, i'm bit like that too, but all of these were brand new, suspicious much in my opinion, anyway probably my bad luck, as in if i didn't have bad luck i'd have no luck at all

Advertisement