Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English - Reports?

• 05-06-2011 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, just wondering in HL English, what's the story if you do a report? I was reading a paper 1 textbook and it said you have to use a load of titles and sub-titles and it was a tad bewildering, I always thought you just had to write a text but in a formal tone, none of this fancy format.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Help muchos appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dtmc

jumpguy wrote: »
    Hey everyone, just wondering in HL English, what's the story if you do a report? I was reading a paper 1 textbook and it said you have to use a load of titles and sub-titles and it was a tad bewildering, I always thought you just had to write a text but in a formal tone, none of this fancy format.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Help muchos appreciated.
    We were always told to use the headings and sub headings, similar to a letter you wouldn't just leave out the address and date etc. As far as I know there's no strict format but as long as you include things like Title, Date, For the attention of, Terms of reference, Recommendations/Conclusions etc you'll be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

TITLE

To:_____________________________

Date:_________________________

Terms of reference:______________

Findings:_____________________

Recommendations:______________

Signed:_____________________________

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Ugh, great. What's terms of reference about? Is that just what I did to find out my...well, findings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

The Terms of Reference

Before writing a report, establish its terms of reference i.e. why it is needed and by whom. The Terms of reference will define the scope (and therefore limits) of the report, the ground it seeks to cover and why, its length and the date required. It might also suggest a particular format, e.g., in some reports the conclusions and recommendations, follow the introduction. Checkthe question setting the assignment as to whether she/he requires a particular format. Is it merely to convey information or is it hoping to bring about change?

This is a report layout that would be thought in business studies though.

I'm fairly sure if you just used a simple layout in English you'd get away with it, ie:

TITLE :
    The Introduction:
    The Main Body:
    The Conclusion:

Even if you didn't know the layout 40-45 / 50 marks will be going towards material you write not the layout used!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure if you just used a simple layout in English you'd get away with it, ie:

TITLE :
    The Introduction:
    The Main Body:
    The Conclusion:

As long as you're sticking to the question and it's clearly laid out, you wouldn't lose marks for not having an exact layout. It's the same with letters, you don't need the correct layout to get the marks; it looks better, but as long as it's obviously a letter, it won't affect the marks.

• Advertisement

Title:
    Introduction:
    Research:
    Main Findings:
    Recommendations:
    Conclusion:

Would that do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'd personally recommend

Title:
    Date:
    Terms of Reference:
    Methodology:
    Body:
    Recommendations:
    Conclusions:

Signed: Your exam number...

That's what I would use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

What

The F*ck

Is a report?

I'm assuming it's some sort of comprehension B question my teacher didn't cover?

You may be asked to write a report in either section B of the comprehension or the written component of Paper I.

All it is is a formal report on a certain issue.

For example in business we're often asked to write a report advising a firm to do one thing or another. For example "XYZ Ltd." may request a report on its finances.

Fbjm wrote: »
    I'm assuming it's some sort of comprehension B question my teacher didn't cover?
    Woohoo, welcome to my boat! :)

Partyatmygaff, is methodology just how you carried out the research?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Would you mind posting up a sample? Was told that this can be one of the easiest Q B's if answered in the correct format.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Woohoo, welcome to my boat! :)

Partyatmygaff, is methodology just how you carried out the research?
    That's exactly it. For example, in Business, if I was doing a report on a firm's finances my methodology would more than likely be something along the lines of:

Analysis of the firm's financial position over the the past two years and at present by means of statistical data collated from the firm's accounting department.

For English, i'd say you're free to say whatever you'd like so long as it sounds professional.

Here is a report I wrote in my Business mock (Slightly cut down as it's far too lengthy to retype)

Date: 4/3/11
    Prepared by: PAMG
    Presented to: John Cullen, AIB, Dublin 2
    T.O.R.: The investigation of suitable sources of finance to facilitate the proposed expansion of Furniture Fittings Ltd.
    Methodology: The identification of prospected financial needs by means of planning. Investigation of the firm's current financial position so as to discern suitable sources of finance.

Findings:
    Short Term
    It would be prudent that the firm makes use of an overdraft facility so as to finance the current day-to-day expenditures associated with expansion. Examples of this include travel between branches as per the fact that Mr.Molloy travelled 'weekly' to evaluate his branches. An overdraft is suitable as expenditure shall be of a low value, high frequency and of short period.

Medium Term

Long Term

Recommendations:
    • The firm ought to make use of overdrafts and similar credit facilities where possible to finance short term credit needs
    • ... for medium term credit needs.
    • ... for long term credit needs.
    Appendices:
    Current financial statistical data of the firm
    Detailed plan of expansion

Signed:
    PAMG

That's for a financial report in Business. You don't need as many headings in English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

So if we had the correct headings and relevant information, we can get full marks? Seems suspiciously easy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Seriously guys, if it's well-written and answers the question, I wouldn't worry about any more than 3/4 headings. Keep it simple. Most English teachers aren't Business teachers!

Advertisement