Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Size alloys for a VW Bora

Options
  • 05-06-2011 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys... recently bought a set of 18" Rs6 alloys for my 1.9 tdi VW Bora. Then last week when I was picking the car up from the garage after getting it serviced the mechanic who serviced the car told me that i would run into trouble with the alloys as they are so big, he said that they were too wide and I would run into trouble with the gear box!

Does anyone have and veiws on this and does anyone know what would be the best size alloys for my car!? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to modified cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I'd go with 17's, at a push, on a Bora I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

The small pertol engined bora/golfs are very prone to gearbox issues if running large wheels.

The diesel models shouldn't have this bother.

I find that what your mechanic said is just the generic responce that any mechanic or dealer with no experience of modifications will say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Forde_1

Sound guys thanks for the feedback.... if anyone else has any views on it or experience with those size wheels on a bora let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

20 inch lad, felt spec.

really though, 17 or 18 inch are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I find that what your mechanic said is just the generic responce that any mechanic or dealer with no experience of modifications will say.

Agree 100%

I ran 18" BBS alloys on my bora for years with no hassle,the were 8" wide also (8J)

However i wouldn't run 18" replicas,you might be fine with 18" reps but you have to realise the are both heavier and softer than OEM or big name wheels so you can't go round hoping it off potholes etc and expect everything to be rosy in the garden.Before i sold my Bora i was contemplating changing back to OEM 17" wheels for the sleeper look.If i was you i'd pick up a set of 17" OEM TT or S3 wheels and make it look nice and smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

tossy wrote: »
    Agree 100%

I ran 18" BBS alloys on my bora for years with no hassle,the were 8" wide also (8J)

jesus, those must have cost 3 times what the car did :eek:

No the car was actually 10 times more expensive than the wheels when i bought it in 2008,i had the wheels already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

jesus, those must have cost 3 times what the car did :eek:

I'm not a VAG fan, but I was a huge fan of Tossys old car. Very nice machine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

it was the v6 was it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

shblob wrote: »
    it was the v6 was it?

Not many 'sleepers' have a 1.4 engine:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

shblob wrote: »
    it was the v6 was it?

...with a supercharger