Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backup calculator?

• 05-06-2011 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

Is it overkill to bring two calculators to the exam centre? I'd be in deep trouble if my calculator's battery died during Maths and I really don't want to leave things to chance. It happened before during third year and it ruined the exam for me.

Does anyone know if you're allowed to bring two calculators to the exam centre?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

I did it in the Junior Cert in 2008 so I don't see why we can't now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I'm bringing two... most people I know are, as well.

I also brought two for the JC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Sounds like a good idea to me!
    Knowing me next year I'll probably bring 10 :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Nope not overkill, a good idea. You are allowed to bring two calculators, leave the one you are not using on the floor beside your desk.

I brought an old calculator from my house just in case (exams like accounting or maths would be a disaster without a calculator) but it was a really old one that required you to enter the functions backwards (e.g. to get sqrt(7) you typed 7 then square root button, not what I'm used to!) - luckily I didn't need it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Bringing in 2 calculators is allowed, I did it. If it helps calm you, do it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 ShonyBoulders

Does anyone know if there is a list of banned calculators or anything like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Does anyone know if there is a list of banned calculators or anything like that?
    Generally speaking, most calculators that you'd find in the like of Easons are allowed. Graphing calculators like the Texas Instruments TI-83 for example are banned for obvious reasons. There's no definitive list of banned calculator models.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I'd say definitely bring 2 in, it's better be safe than sorry.

Last year I brought a scientific calculator and a normal calculator (I didn't have a second scientific one so I figured it'd be better than nothing).

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Im bringing two anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dtmc

http://www.examinations.ie/candidates/LC_Candidate_Information_Booklet_EV_2009.pdf

If you go to page 11/12 of this booklet it gives you a list of the features on the calculators which were prohibited in 2009(I assume it's the very same every year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Quick question if you dont get english done in time do you get an extra 20mins??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dtmc

C__MC wrote: »
    Quick question if you dont get english done in time do you get an extra 20mins??:confused:

What do you think?

C__MC wrote: »
    No... What gave you that idea and more importantly what does that have to do with the issue of calculators?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Defiantly bring a spare ...... Last year my sister didn't bring a spare to one of her engineering finals....... And well the one she had stopped working bout 30mins before the end. She was not happy!!!!

Oh and about the English ...... A few years ago they added 20mims on to the end of both exams as they felt that students had not enough time to read over there papers. But this is incorporated into the offical time now..... Perhaps that's where you heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Don't want to jinx it, but, what would happen if your calculator did stop working during the exam? If you informed the examiner would they get you another...?

I'm sure it happens all the time..

Don't want to jinx it, but, what would happen if your calculator did stop working during the exam? If you informed the examiner would they get you another...?

Well I don't think they have spares. Was attendant last year and they didn't have them.

Nope.

The examiner may send an attendant to the school office to check and see if there is a spare. If there isn't then they can do nothing else for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Nope.

The examiner may send an attendant to the school office to check and see if there is a spare. If there isn't then they can do nothing else for you.

Surely there's a few knocking around the staff room etc, and, other students with spares. Think I'll borrow my boyfriend's just in case though... that'd be just my luck :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Surely there's a few knocking around the staff room etc, and, other students with spares. Think I'll borrow my boyfriend's just in case though... that'd be just my luck :rolleyes:

If an attendant came to the staff room looking for a calculator and there is one spare we would give it to them. I'm sure all schools would do the same. However the school is not responsible for making sure students have calculators on the day so if you don't think your calculator is reliable enough, bring a spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

I got an extra one purely in case my current calculator breaks down or something, because I'm paranoid and have had it since first year... I also plan on bringing about 10 pens into the English exams, so 2 calculators definitely isn't overkill. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

dtmc wrote: »
    http://www.examinations.ie/candidates/LC_Candidate_Information_Booklet_EV_2009.pdf

If you go to page 11/12 of this booklet it gives you a list of the features on the calculators which were prohibited in 2009(I assume it's the very same every year).

The scary thing is that these rules were probably made after candidate(s) did the things in that booklet. Who the **** tries to bribe the super-intendant by putting "cash/cheque" in with their exam paper?? Idiots.

Even odder is the rest of rule 75...

http://www.examinations.ie/candidates/2011_Cand_Info_Booklet_EV.pdf

That's this years one. Did ye not get one from Yer schools I did.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I got a spare one, the same as my normal one because:

A) In case my one decided to break on me!
    B) It's pink! :) :P (My oneis navy)

And as an added bonus I discovered it does infinite numbers (ya know the numbers with the dots above them), it's the same model as my current one but my current one doesn't do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

i'm bringing two anyway cos the casio calculators sometimes just won't turn on and you have to bang them off the table to make them work.... don't think i'll be doing that during the exam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

My cousins calculator stopped working during the HL LC Maths exam last year, he knew all he had to do was bang it once off a table or that so he put up his hand and asked the examiner could he go outside the door for a second and bang it, he wouldn't allow him to do it, SO he had to ask him could he go to the toilet and had to bring his calculator in his pocket and hit it off the floor outside.. He had to go through the big rigmarole to get his calculator working.. Lost about 5/10 minutes of time at it, long story short bring a spare one! At least then you'll have peace of mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

xclw wrote: »
    i'm bringing two anyway cos the casio calculators sometimes just won't turn on and you have to bang them off the table to make them work.... don't think i'll be doing that during the exam :)

Ahahaha I had to do that during the mocks. I put up my hand to ask the teacher supervising though, s'all good. :cool: Only attracted the stares of everyone ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I brought in 3 calculators of the same make in with me 2 years ago :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'll never forget when my calculator ran out of battery on the day of my junior cert exam.

• Advertisement
Advertisement