Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New (different) Immersion Switch

Options
  • 05-06-2011 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi all

The old switch for our immersion has stopped working and I've had to get a new one. Trouble is, the new one is different in configuration to the old and I'm not sure how to wire it.

The old switch has five points on it. On the power side: Live IN and Neutral IN, and just a Neutral OUT. The Neutral IN point has actually two (blue) wires going to it. On the other side: plain L1 and L2 for bath or sink.

The new switch has seven points on it. On the power side: Live IN and OUT, but this time it has a Live OUT (not on old switch) as well as Neutral OUT. On the other side: L1 and L2 for bath or sink again, but this time is has a point for COM (not on old switch).

I've attached a diagram to illustrate - if anyone can advise on how to correctly wire the new switch I'd be really grateful.

Many thanks in advance,
    Sean

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭istabraq

link a 2.5 brown between live out and common and wire everything else the same

• Registered Users Posts: 37 stlmcgovern

Thanks istabraq, so just to be sure: insert a new short connection of my own between the two new points on new switch (L OUT and COM) - then wire everything else as it is in old switch?

S

yeah correct just make sure its 2.5 and everything is dead before you start

Thanks again. Is 2.5 mil the kind of wiring used in things like distribution blocks and extension leads, or is it heavier than that?

S

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Not being smart but if you're asking these questions I think you should get an electrician to wire it up.

• Advertisement

most extension leads are only 1.5 you are looking for cable on a socket circuit etc eg 2.5 twin and earth or similar

That's what I figured, just wanted to be sure. I have the rest of it wired now, I don't think I have any 2.5 knocking around so I'll pick up some on Tuesday and finish it off then.

Thank you for all your help, I very much appreciate it.

S

Advertisement