Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner at eating sushi

Options
  • 05-06-2011 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I want to start but have never had it. I am totally jealous of people I see chomping down on the healthy food and then reporting how yummy it is! Are they lying?? :)

So any tips on where to go for good reasonably priced sushi in Dublin and what I could start on. I hear a bento box i.e. a sushi type lunchbox, is a good bed ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Sushi King is a good starting point - they have some variety packs which will give you a tasting of some different types of rolls etc.

Yami on Pleasants Street also do a good variety pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

M&S do sushi, it takes okay, but it doesn't actually contain any raw fish!! It might be a good place to start out though.

When you work your way up you can get yourself the moriawase sashimi platter in Yamamori which I would crawl over hot coals for :)

Sushi King good though. Yo Sushi not bad either (but very dear).

Bento boxes aren't necessarily just sushi I think, bento just means 'lunch' as far as I know, so might be a curry and rice even.

I love sushi :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I've eaten quite a bit of sushi round dublin, and globally the standard is pretty poor. However there is one place that really stands out called Michie Sushi they're amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I was like you, OP, and really wanted to try the sushi route. I tried the vegetarian ones with had mango and avocado in place of the sushi. Then i tried the fish ones. I didn't find it to be nice at all. The raw fish freaked me out a bit too. To be honest,it was all a bit 'blah' for my tastes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Try fillings like crab and prawns. They're actually cooked so you're having fish, but not raw fish. Or else try something less scary, like tuna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've heard that Sushi King is good. I often order in sushi from Yami Thai and Sushi (They're on just-eat.ie if you're around D8). There's a rather good Japanese place on Liffey St called Ten Thousand or something, they did a great sushi bento which has a few pieces of sushi, but also some tempura and korokke (crocettes) so if you find that you don't like the sushi you won't have to go hungry. Somewhere like Yo Sushi is good for trying different bits, but can be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

duploelabs wrote: »
    I've eaten quite a bit of sushi round dublin, and globally the standard is pretty poor. However there is one place that really stands out called Michie Sushi they're amazing

+1 for michie sushi- one of the best in dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rozzie!

do NOT go to sushi king or yumi if its your 1st time.

Michie sushi is fantastic, so is Mitsuba on Parnell street (get the salmon sashimi, unagi nigiri and temaki rolls in mitsuba).

Yamamori is very good, but not as authentic as mitsuba and quite pricey.

Forget Kokoro M&S and oishi sushi! its useless.... believe me i've done the rounds and have sushi qualifications.

Advertisement