Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative Help

• 05-06-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    Basically I have sweet f all done for comparative, any notes i do have are a complete mess.. could anyone give me advice as to how i could condense everything down to a couple of a4 pages for each text? :/

I'm doing Il Postino, Lies of Silence and Dancing at Lughnasa.. thanks :)

Theme we're doing is Love and Marraige btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

You go to school in North Leitrim by any chance? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

I hope you're studying a second mode, too!

I'm doing the same texts, the Cultural Context is easy enough if you focus on key moments, such as how religion affects the characters;

- It is the cause of Dillon's death, the IRA coming into their home, etc
    - The cause of Kate's job loss, Aggie and Maggie leaving for London, etc
    - It binds the community in Il Postino (LOVE that film).

I don't have my notes on me at the moment, but if I get a chance before Thursday, I'll stick a few bits and bobs up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

You go to school in North Leitrim by any chance? wink.gif

Nope, sure isn't Leitrim only a pure dive? :D

Yep i'm studying CC too :) Cheers for that, how many quotes would you think would be sufficient for each text/mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

what.to.do wrote: »
    I hope you're studying a second mode, too!

I'm doing the same texts, the Cultural Context is easy enough if you focus on key moments, such as how religion affects the characters;

- It is the cause of Dillon's death, the IRA coming into their home, etc
    - The cause of Kate's job loss, Aggie and Maggie leaving for London, etc
    - It binds the community in Il Postino (LOVE that film).

I don't have my notes on me at the moment, but if I get a chance before Thursday, I'll stick a few bits and bobs up here.

Other points that I usually make are poverty, male-dominated society and family life.

Illiteracy and class divisions can also be mentioned.

I'm still not sure what part to bring in Neruda's relationship with Mario as it's an enormous part of that story.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

biggaman wrote: »
    Nope, sure isn't Leitrim only a pure dive? :D

QUOTE]

Ehh no :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

thanks for the input :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Cultural Context

1) Both Lies of Silence and Dancing are set in Ireland, while Il Postino is located in the island of Capri, off the the coast of Naples

2) While family life in both Dancing at Lughnesa and Il Postino is generally stable and loving, family life in Lies of Silence is strained and problematical.

3) Poverty is a featre of the world in all three texts, having a direct and significant impact on the quality of the protagonists lives in both Dancing at Lughnesa and Il Postino.

4) All thre texts are set in a male dominated society - women's inferior status to men is particularly marked in Dancing at Lughnesa because it is set in the 1930s.

5) Religion is a key feature of the worlds in all three texts, but only in Il Postino is it portrayed in a positive light.

6) Social divisions are a feature of the worlds of all three texts, particular Lies of Silence where the divisions are both religious/political and class based. While both of the other texts are set in class divided worlds, class division is not a major issue in either Dancing at Lughnesa or Il Postino.

7) Only in Lies of silence are conflict and violence significant aspects of everyday life in the world of the text. While Mario dies a victim of random violence in the mainland, life on Capri is peaceful.

8) Only in Il Postino do we see a genuine sense of camaraderie among the local people. We see this most memorably in Giorgio's unstinting support for Mario after Neruda leaves the island, and fails to maintain contact with him.

9) Only in Dancing at Lughnesa do we encounter a world where an earlier, pre christian culture survives alongside the culture of the era in which the text is set

10) It is also only in Dancing at Lughnesa that we sense a world on the brink of significant change

11) Unlike the protagonists in both of the other comparative texts, Mario is Il Postino rises above the difficulties and limitations of the world into which he was born to realise his potential and achieve personal happiness with Beatrice

These points should help you, just expand on them abit and you can use them in your cultural context essay ;)

Advertisement