Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2

• 05-06-2011 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

How many marks would you lose if you didnt know quotes for paper 2??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Not many. You can get by with one or two quotes in Hamlet for example and still get a B providing you have a reasonably good understanding of the play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 barryq102

thanks a million :)
    for some reason quotes just wont stick :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

I'd imagine you would need some quotes for the poetry question.

Desire. wrote: »
    I'd imagine you would need some quotes for the poetry question.
    Some... but not a huge amount. I've seen people get high grades using only three or four quotes throughout an entire essay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Well .... You do kind of.
    The comparative not so much .... Close reference will do.

Hamlet .... Learn a's much a's you can. It is all about how much knowledge if the play you have. But that doesn't necessarily mean it all has to be in quotation form. Just don't start telling the story and you should be ok.

Poetry well quotes are necessary but if the poem has a rhythm learn the poem in that rhythm .... It wil make it easier to learn.

Hope it helps.
    Good luck :)

• Advertisement

we done hamlet as part of our comparative so that makes the single text a bit easier!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

barryq102 wrote: »
    we done hamlet as part of our comparative so that makes the single text a bit easier!!

Hang on. I was pretty sure that you couldn't use the single text in the comparative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Hang on. I was pretty sure that you couldn't use the single text in the comparative.

They are probably doing one of the other options as their single text.

yeah we done hamlet, how many miles to Babylon and the lonesome west for our comparative

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

barryq102 wrote: »
    yeah we did hamlet, how many miles to Babylon and the lonesome west for our comparative

What's your single text?

• Advertisement

whistle in the dark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

My english teacher was at a correcting conference and they are putting a massive emphasis on quotes this year just so you guys know...

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Try to learn a few anyway. Uses up space on the page. :p I was told to have 3 quotations in each paragraph.

They are probably doing one of the other options as their single text.

Oh yeah, just from the way it was phrased I thought he said Hamlet was his single text.

My mistake.

C__ wrote: »
    My english teacher was at a correcting conference and they are putting a massive emphasis on quotes this year just so you guys know...
    That sounds like BS.

How exactly are examiners meant to discuss the marking of an exam they have not yet seen? As far as I'm aware, examiners meet to discuss the marking scheme of exams in early July.

That sounds like BS.

How exactly are examiners meant to discuss the marking of an exam they have not yet seen? As far as I'm aware, examiners meet to discuss the marking scheme of exams in early July.

Yes, that was my impression too.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

That sounds like BS.

They have made several decisions. For example they're going to be deducting marks this year if you don't put the titles of the text/poems in quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

nommm wrote: »
    They have made several decisions. For example they're going to be deducting marks this year if you don't put the titles of the text/poems in quotes.

:eek:

Any other mad notions they picked up recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

Lads, did mine last year. Best advice I have for Eng paper 2 and history is to learn essay plans. Make out a few different essays u think will come up and create plans for them, inc every paragraph. Build up the plan with quotes.
    A2 in both English and History higher level

For geography, don't be afraid to make up random facts once they sound real. They come in handy for the SRP's. Also threat the examiner like a retard. explain everything and don't presume they know what you are talking about. Good for extending answers and gaining marks. B2 in geography cause I fvcked up my geoecology section.

nommm wrote: »
    Who made these decisions? When did they make them?

Where can I learn more about these decisions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

ruserious wrote: »
    Lads, did mine last year. Best advice I have for Eng paper 2 and history is to learn essay plans. Make out a few different essays u think will come up and create plans for them, inc every paragraph. Build up the plan with quotes.
    A2 in both English and History higher level

For geography, don't be afraid to make up random facts once they sound real. They come in handy for the SRP's. Also threat the examiner like a retard. explain everything and don't presume they know what you are talking about. Good for extending answers and gaining marks. B2 in geography cause I fvcked up my geoecology section.

Fairplay getting A2 in those subects ;)

how much did you write per essay in history as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

Iceboy wrote: »
    Fairplay getting A2 in those subects ;)

how much did you write per essay in history as a matter of interest?

A history essay would want to be no less than 3 and a half pages. 4 and a half would be supreme. Any longer, the examiner loses interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

I'm not intending on learning any quotes, tbh. Any quotes that are important enough should stick without any deliberate effort (not necessarily sentences, just a couple of words).

People seem to have an obsession with quotes, which I don't understand at all. They're not marking you on your memory skills. While quotes are proof that you know the text well, there are other ways of making that clear e.g. having a proper insight into it (which is what they ARE marking you on). Quotes are mostly there to make your essays less vague, so that the examiner knows what you're actually referring to. If you know the text well enough to discuss it in-depth, they'll come to you naturally anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Saphira Bunansa

ruserious wrote: »
    A history essay would want to be no less than 3 and a half pages. 4 and a half would be supreme. Any longer, the examiner loses interest.

SERIOUS? We were always told 6 pages? Less than that and it's "not detailed enough." I could never pull them out that long but this would be a huge relief if they only needed to be three and a half..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Quality is far more important than quantity. Also remember that people's writing varies hugely ... 3 pages for one can be 6 for someone else! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement