Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considerations for showing pups / young dogs.

• 05-06-2011 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

While showing is not something I intended on doing, the kids would like to bring the dog to some shows. What considerations have you to make?
    Yoshi is a 9 month old Samoyed.
    Zero aggression, good on the lead until distracted which is easily done by a passing person, dog etc etc and he'll pull off the lead, it mightn't look like he's pulling as he stays very up right but you'd almost need two hands to hold the lead. Otherwise, he seems like we might be able to bring him.
    What else do I need to consider?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Well firstly it must be IKC registered and in your name. The dog must be of show quality, ie no major faults that would hinder it in the ring so you need to get someone that knows Samoyeds to have a look at it and see if hes suitable to be shown.

The males must be entact so you cannot neuter them and same for females, cant be spayed.

Its not a case of just turning up at a show. You have to go to ringcraft classes and learn how to stand/stack your dog in the ring for the judge, get the dog used to people going over him, checking his teeth and having the judge going over the dog.

It takes months to prepare a dog for the show ring so i would firstly look at ring craft classes in your area and attend those for a few months and then aim for a show later in the year that you can go to.

Anymore questions just shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

Thanks andreac.
    Satisfy all the basic requirements. Ikc registered, fully intact, no faults to prevent showing.
    So does anybody know where I'd get ring craft classes in Waterford City or Kilkenny?

No worries, try these first and see, if not i think theres somewhere in Wexford but im not sure.
    http://dogwise.ie/

Try www.showdogsireland.com and theres a dog forum on that so you can post up a question and ask about classes.
    www.dogshowentry.ie has all the links for show schedules and results and entry forms on it.

Just to add, how do you know the dog doesnt have any faults for showing? Some breeds have faults from birth which could prevent them being shown, ie wrong bite, ear set not correct, coat discolouration and wrongly marked.

I know with Samoyeds their ears have to be standing up, so if the ears dont come up they cant really be shown. It happened to a girl i know with a Sammie.
    Unless you know for sure that your dog doesnt have any major faults then i would wait and see until someone that knows the breed has a look at him.

Did you get the dog from a good breeder with good pedigree lines?

I've had several other dog owners comment on his suitability for showing and the vet also seems to think he's a good specimen. I've met owners of older full brothers and sisters from the breeder and they were all very happy with their dogs. Acquiring the dog was complete luck as my only requirement was that it was a Sammie.
    Showing will be a hobby and not for monetary gain. I wouldnt be looking to go to crufts either I would probably like to acquire a bitch down the line with a view to breeding but only with a view to replacing the current dog and knowing there's a connection with the first Sammie.
    I'm not serious enough about showing to go off creating my own breeding line.
    My father used to breed gun dogs (not for show, but for work) and he also bred cattle for showing. It's a job in itself if you take it seriously.
    Ill have a look at some of those sites. Thanks andreac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

mickmcl09 wrote: »
    I've had several other dog owners comment on his suitability for showing and the vet also seems to think he's a good specimen. I've met owners of older full brothers and sisters from the breeder and they were all very happy with their dogs. Acquiring the dog was complete luck as my only requirement was that it was a Sammie.
    Showing will be a hobby and not for monetary gain. I wouldnt be looking to go to crufts either I would probably like to acquire a bitch down the line with a view to breeding but only with a view to replacing the current dog and knowing there's a connection with the first Sammie.
    I'm not serious enough about showing to go off creating my own breeding line.
    My father used to breed gun dogs (not for show, but for work) and he also bred cattle for showing. It's a job in itself if you take it seriously.
    Ill have a look at some of those sites. Thanks andreac.

I don't show, but it is only a hobby, I'm not quite sure how you think you would be able to make money at it anyway? From the people I know that do show, it can be quite expensive.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I'd also pick a groomers brain who is familar with the breed, Samoyed, as I'm sure you know have a whole lot of coat and can take alot of preparation to get them ready for a show so that might also be a consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Alternatively, if it's mainly for the kids, why don't you just go to some of the local summer county fairs that will be happening over the next few months, they nearly always have dog shows that everyone puts their pets in, admittedly there are always a few owners who take it really seriously but it's good fun for the kids and you could enter into a few categories, apart from the breeds they usually have 'dog that most looks like its owner' (dress one of the kids up in white outfit?), 'dog you'd most like to take home' etc etc?

Thatsgrand then, ive just often heard of people saying their dogs are great examples of the breed when they couldnt be further from it...
    But thats great if your dog is suitable:)

Regarding showing for monetry gain, well there is absolutely no money to be made from showing whatsoever. It costs a small fortune to campaign your dog around the country.

This weekend alone has cost me about 50 euro in entry fees, diesel for my van to travel to Cork and back, hotel last night to save travelling up and down twice (there were 2 shows on this weekend), expenses for lunches, dinner etc and so on.
    So you will be def out of pocket regarding showing, as its a hobby and there is no money to be won, not unless you win Best In Show which even then is only a very small nominal amount which wouldnt even cover expenses for the day.
    But as a hobby its brilliant and i love showing and have made lots of great friends through it and its a great social thing, apart from the actual showing of the dog.
    So just shout if you have any other questions:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

andreac wrote: »
    Well firstly it must be IKC registered and in your name. The dog must be of show quality, ie no major faults that would hinder it in the ring so you need to get someone that knows Samoyeds to have a look at it and see if hes suitable to be shown.

The males must be entact so you cannot neuter them and same for females, cant be spayed.

Its not a case of just turning up at a show. You have to go to ringcraft classes and learn how to stand/stack your dog in the ring for the judge, get the dog used to people going over him, checking his teeth and having the judge going over the dog.

It takes months to prepare a dog for the show ring so i would firstly look at ring craft classes in your area and attend those for a few months and then aim for a show later in the year that you can go to.

Anymore questions just shout.

Why is that Andreac?

Because you are showing an entire specimen of the breed and if they have been neutered or spayed then they wouldnt be an entire specimen.

Plus if they turn out well and you need/want to continue the line on, how can this be done if they are neutered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

A neutered/spayed dog cannot take part in a show?
    In cat showing an entire cat gains champion certs and neutered cats gain premier certs.

Is there a pet class in dog shows, as in non ped class?

No they cant.

No there isnt, not at IKC Championship Shows.

Wow. That's a bit unfair in one way and in another a bit irresponsible, imo.
    Plus it means non breeders who wish to show cannot neuter their dogs. I really think that is unfortunate for the health and sanity of the dogs.

My understanding of the no-neutering rule is that dogs that do well in shows, and go on to become champions do so because they are excellent examples of the breed. These are the only dogs that should then be bred from, to better the breed. So, if that is the case, neutering them would prevent the best examples being used, and would (could) have an impact on the standard of the breed.

I believe that dogs that have been neutered/spayed for medical reasons can still be shown, once a vet has given the evidence. I think also that, a neutered/spayed dog can compete if the Kennel Club in question agree to it, so the owner of the dog would have to approach the KC with the reasons why the dog was neutered/spayed.

ISDW wrote: »
    I don't show, but it is only a hobby, I'm not quite sure how you think you would be able to make money at it anyway? From the people I know that do show, it can be quite expensive.:D

I didn't say or mean that? Recheck the post.
    Having seen my Dad show cattle, the basic elements are the same.
    It costs alot of money to show week in week out.
    But, progeny of winning show animals and champion breeding lines are worth more money, that the facts of showing anything. Having said that, some people don't care about that either, it's just about having a winner even if it means never selling at any price. No 2 people will have the same objective.
    There is a social element to it, which is more the category that I'm happy to fall into.

My initial post was to enquire about additional considerations. I have a very friendly excited dog that would rather jump the judge and lick the face off them, so finding a place to address this issue is what I'm after. Not the money, not the prestige, just enjoyment for the whole family. Weekends don't come round half fast enough every week.

I'm going to bring him to some classes and bring him out to some of the smaller shows based on how he gets on. If I get a rossette that my daughter can pin up in her room that'll be a bonus.

Op, if you think you have a dog that's suitable for showing, do it. I show cats at all levels, entire, neutered and non pedigree and I love it! It's a social scene with likeminded people. Its all about the fun on the day, meeting up with friends and if you happen to do well, brilliant, makes the day better!

Wow. That's a bit unfair in one way and in another a bit irresponsible, imo.
    Plus it means non breeders who wish to show cannot neuter their dogs. I really think that is unfortunate for the health and sanity of the dogs.

Sorry but i dont get what you mean? How is irresponsible? Also how is it unfortunate for the health and sanity of the dogs? If the dogs are neutered/spayed then how are breeders meant to carry on good lines, improve the standard of the dogs etc if they cannot breed? Your point doesnt make any sense.

But, progeny of winning show animals and champion breeding lines are worth more money, that the facts of showing anything. Having said that, some people don't care about that either, it's just about having a winner even if it means never selling at any price. No 2 people will have the same objective.
    There is a social element to it, which is more the category that I'm happy to fall into.

My initial post was to enquire about additional considerations. I have a very friendly excited dog that would rather jump the judge and lick the face off them, so finding a place to address this issue is what I'm after. Not the money, not the prestige, just enjoyment for the whole family. Weekends don't come round half fast enough every week.

I'm going to bring him to some classes and bring him out to some of the smaller shows based on how he gets on. If I get a rossette that my daughter can pin up in her room that'll be a bonus.

You should start off with some open shows first, they are a lot smaller and not as competitive as there arent any championship awards on offer. Open shows are great for the novice owner and handler starting out and they are great for practising and preparing for the bigger shows.
    There are Champ shows on nearly every weekend from here on it through til September then there are 2 or 3 a month until christmas.

The open shows arent advertised as widely as the bigger shows so you need to check the dates with the IKC, they have a show dates book that you can get sent out to you with all the shows listed for the whole year in it.

You said monetary gain. Thats what I was replying to. It doesn't necessarily follow that the progeny of champions are worth more money. The dog buying public on the whole don't seem to see the co-relation, if you check how much money people are willing to spend on puppy farmed dogs from non-champion lines, in fact from unhealthy dogs, it would appear that it isn't important.

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but i dont get what you mean? How is irresponsible? Also how is it unfortunate for the health and sanity of the dogs? If the dogs are neutered/spayed then how are breeders meant to carry on good lines, improve the standard of the dogs etc if they cannot breed? Your point doesnt make any sense.

What I mean is that I have no interest in breeding dogs but maybe I have an interest in showing. The only way to show one is to keep it entire, that's unfair on the dog to not have mating opportunities and for health reasons I think it is irresponsible. I do not understand why a neutered section is not available for people who have dogs that match up to the standard but don't want to breed or keep entire dogs.

• Advertisement

You dont have to breed your dogs just because you show them. You can show them and then down the line when the dog is finished showing you can always get them neutered then if you wanted.

Its not irresponsible at all, once you know what you are doing.

Advertisement