Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house and new address not on my internet provider's grid.

Options
  • 05-06-2011 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Greetings,

I've just moved house and am currently with Magnet broadband, however, our new house does not have a phone line and so I cannot continue to use their service.
    It'll cost me €100 to cancel my contract early, however I've heard that with other internet providers if they cannot supply the net connection when you move house then you can terminate your contract with no repurcussions.

Does anyone know if Magnet have a similar system, or is an umbrella clause with all net providers? Or perhaps just something UPC do and no one else?

Cheers for any assistence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you move, you are the one breaking the contract. No ISP will let you out without a penalty, unless you appeal to them and they agree. By default, there will always be a fee for breaking a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

jor el wrote: »
    If you move, you are the one breaking the contract. No ISP will let you out without a penalty, unless you appeal to them and they agree. By default, there will always be a fee for breaking a contract.

Yar, I gathered this was the case. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Unless you are way off the beaten track, Eircom have to provide a phone line, which Magnet can then use if they have facilities at the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Before I moved into this house, I was with Magnet, too.

It took them 6 weeks and two technicians coming over, to find out, that there was no phone line at all.

Got out of the contract without hassle or penalties though, their customer support even offered it to me. I didn't pay for them technicians either.

Maybe they showed some kind of understanding, because I told them I need the landline to stay in contact with my family in Germany?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

You could argue the contract is frustrated and void because they cannot provide service to your new area.

However, as another poster pointed out they do indeed provide internet over Eircom lines using the Magnet Swift package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

(Sorry, the above post was me. I was still logged in on my brother's account :pac: )

There's no phone line in my new apartment. There's an old payphone on the second floor that doesn't work, but all phone lines have been severed in the building at some point or another.

I'll try and argue the point with them anyways. I would really rather not pay a massive disconnect fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

aphex™ wrote: »
    You could argue the contract is frustrated and void because they cannot provide service to your new area.

However, as another poster pointed out they do indeed provide internet over Eircom lines using the Magnet Swift package.

That logic is ass-backward. The OP moved / is moving house, thereby frustating / breaking the contract. The ISP didn't force them to move house. They might waive the fee out of goodwill, but they don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AlwaysAmber

Most ISP's don't charge an exit fee if they can't supply a service at the new address.

However, that's not really the issue here. Your problem is that you have no telephone line at the new address. It's your responsibility to provide a working telephone line for ADSL connections (unless the phone line is part of the service), so it's not that Magnet can't provide the service... it's that you can't provide a telephone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Also, IF eircom run you a line, this does not mean it will support ANY form of broadband. You may only get old style dialup [56kbps max]. They may have to provide a line, but only for voice, not broadband.

Magnet are not forcing you to move address so any waiving of fees they MAY do is purely due to good will and not a requirement. They are not breaking the contract.

• Advertisement
Advertisement