Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eventing Ireland

Options
  • 05-06-2011 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

I'm full of questions at the moment! Has anyone any experience with doing Eventing Ireland at the lower levels? I'm interested in starting eventing with my mare and am wondering about the best path to take to go about it; I've been showjumping with the SJI for a good while but I'd love to try her at something different as she's quite an allrounder and loves xc. I'm also wondering about whether EI do one day events as obviously three day ones are expensive and time-consuming. Is the riding club perhaps a better choice, or do they run ODE's very often? Also, I was on the Eventing Ireland website and the membership options are a bit confusing (or maybe im just a bit special...) I'm under 25 so i seem to qualify for their new regulations for young riders but im just not sure what the story is! If anyone could enlighten me on any details, however trivial that would be great, thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

Three day events are mostly international i.e. Tatts. You would be competing in pre-novice (I think) over the course of one day.

Dressage tests etc should all be on the EI website and as far as I remember pre-novice jump a metre course. You should give EI a call, they should be able to answer all your queries.

RC cross-country starts at Advanced Primary level, Primary riders are not allowed to jump cross Country - as far as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Could you try volunteering for fence stewarding and the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Silverfox
    Its been a while(5 years) but I did a fair bit of eventing. I would recommend giving it a go to anyone.
    EI on a day ticket at 25euro+ entry would be 100euro average so you have to be sure your ready to make the best of it.http://www.eventingireland.com/ news section re dayticket
    Riding Club route would be a good intro if you are in one and in a region where it popular. Especially as alot of the courses are used by both Accossiations and also some of the courses I rode are now listed as RC events so are a great standard.
    Dont forget the Dressage its very important in 1 days. No matter how good your Sj and X-c its soul destroying if your day is over after 5 mins in Dressage ring.
    And its important to remember that most Showjumping Horses no matter how good their flat work dont go in a Dressage Outline as far as Dressage judges go so it takes a bit of work to get it right.
    When you do and get the other 2 right as well the satisfaction is hard to beat.

Not sure if this helps.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What part of the country are you in. The south-eastern region where I am based has a good event league going for riding clubs.

Advertisement