Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewing car insurance with a claim?

Options
  • 05-06-2011 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭

Insurance is up on the 28th of the month and I got a letter from the insurance company about renewing it and they were delighted to offer me a premium of 2.3k on a 1.3l hyundai since there was a claim made on my insurance which I was never informed about?

I was involved in an accident around August last year where I was rear ended by a truck (on a way to a job interview of all things!) and knocked into the car infront. My car was a write-off and the car infront had slight asthetic damage too the rear bumper this was all explained in pictures reports and drawings to both the truck and my insurance companies. The truck took total liability for this and their insurance sorted out my claim against them within a week or 2. The car in front was a rental car with people who barely spoke english but as far as i know there was no injuries or time off involved just a cheque so i could get a similar replacement car, and that was that

I don't know too much about insurance or anything but I'm 24, driving 4 years (no claims as far as I knew) full licence and was rather shocked to see this letter, I know the best thing to do is ring them and see what the jazz is but wondering if anyone can help me out on what happened/what to do in a case like this. Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

If truck dealt with your claim, and you were pushed into the other car by the rearending by the truck, then the truck insurers will deal with other car. Contact them and also your broker/insurer to explain them position to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Aye,its a fairly common thing known in the industry as a "concertina collision".

If the truck that hit you accepted liability then they would cover the damage to the other car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Hi thx, yeah that's what I thought happened and all sorted, but on the renewal letter it says a claim was settled on my insurance on the day of the accident for "own damage" for 272.25 that was paid... Which I persume is cover against knocks to my car which was a write off?

I obviously rang the insurance the day of the accidint informing them about it, but I specificly remember I got a phone call from my insurer asking was I going ahead with a claim about a week or two later and explained that no i wasn't since the truck was laible and their insrance sorted it out =/

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

your car can't have been worth that much is your insurers only paid you €272!

Maybe that was the fee they had to pay to their assessor. If that's the case, they should absorb it as a cost and not stop your NCB.

Exactly, and they never paid or sent me anything so I don't know where this came from especially since it was filed under "own damage" ...I also got charged extra for changing my details/car to an almost identical specced car also! madness I says, but I really didn't get this letter... All I recieved was a large inconvenience and a cheque from the trucks insurers for the cost of my car, which was about €800

The assessor came out to inspect the car for 5 minutes a few days after, said it was a write off and left but I figured this was all routine. I was never in an accident before so wasn't really sure what was going on

I was never informed of any claim either, the only talking I really had with my insurer was the day of the accident to report it, the accessor and then when they rang afterwards to ask if i was going through with a claim on my insurance... The dude in the truck was ringing me to see what I was doing that day and the day after, then their insurance was onto me to get my report of the scenario

• Advertisement

Don't mean to spring up an oldish post, but the policy is up on the 28th of June (Tuesday week) and it's my birthday next Wednesday were I will be the magical insurance age of 25...

Should I wait till I'm actually 25 next week to get a new policy be it with my current insurers or a new one make that much of a difference since I have just gone!? Always heard that once you hit 25 it should be more reasonable, but I'll only be a few days into it...

I know if i fill in quote forms ala nonsence etc online, I'll be subjected to the age of 25 for the online profiling and all that, and seems to make a difference there...

Only asking now since that letter i recieved in the first post said ring before the 19th of June to sort it out, so since i have a half day rinigng em today to sort this mess out

Insurance is not fun.

Advertisement