Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nervous about Champix

Options
  • 05-06-2011 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

in November i stopped smoking...it was hard but i was off them about 5 weeks..then i moved back to Dublin and they crept back into my life beginning with one or two on a night out and so on...within weeks i was back on them..

in April i stopped again and exact same situation; off them about 5 weeks..then i moved back to Dublin (again) and they crept back into my life beginning with one or two on a night out and so on...within weeks i was back on them..

I got the prescription for Champix and i feel like buying the drugs tomoro...im nervous about the side effects tho...im on work placement at the moment and its very important i can do well as this is part of a professional practice health care qualification...i.e. i deal with patients and dont want to be a loose cannon or a fatigued mess...

i don't know what to do.. but i feel like i should buy the drug and see how it goes..

any thoughts or comments are welcome...thanks a lot..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I smoked up to 10 ciggies per day for nearly 15 years.

I started the Champix in February of this year.

I followed the instructions, and I have been off the smokes since February 19th.
    Get the odd mild craving every now and then, but that's it.

For the first 5 days or so on the Champix I smoked as normal.

Then I found myself not wanting a smoke as bad.
    By day 9 I had just 2 cigs per day. On day 10, I stopped.

Side effects:

1. Medium nausea in the morning. Resolved by taking the tablet with 1 full glass of water and some food.

2. Vivid dreams for the first 4 weeks while on the tablets. Not nightmares or night terrors, but very lucid, vivid dreams. These subsided over time, and disappeared completely when I stopped the tablets. A tip here is to take your second tablet of the day at 6 pm, not just before you go to bed.

I bought 3 months supply, but after 2 months found myself not taking them nearly as often as the plan called for. I also started to cut down the dosage at this point to wean myself off them.

I doubt that I will smoke again, and heartily recommend Champix.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ALTESSE12

anyone know the price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

130 quid or thereabouts for 1 months supply.

My experience was that I had no side effects for a week or, I quit smoking after 1 week taking them, second week I got some stomach cramps and found myself to be fatigued in the evenings - often going for a doze - this could well have been lack of nicotine though.

Third week I was on the full dose. Any side effects had pretty much dissipated. I found myself with more or less no urge to smoke at all and so cut back on the dose to one a day - this worked fine with no noticeable side effects.

I stopped taking it last week. I definitely have some minor cravings which I didn't have when I was taking the stuff. Nothing unmanageable though.

If I was worried about potential side effects I would plan to take the first pill heading up to the weekend (or whatever day off you have instead of a weekend). That will put you on track to move to the full dose heading into the next weekend or day off. If you're going to react badly to them, you'll know fairly quickly (going by a mate's experience who couldn't handle them at all - nausea).

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭rockofrepublic

how do you take the tablets??

Is it you take them at night time for the first few days and then after that??

Advertisement