Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

something different

Options
  • 05-06-2011 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

i was in with my local dealer today to pick up some ammo when he showed me this round that i have heard mentioned here once or twice.

not very common at the moment but used to be the best round you could get for deer stalking here in ireland

the 5.6x57

yes we have heard tack rattle on about it a few times but here it is in person

e554701e.jpg

for comparison it is pictured with a.223 55gr v-max, a 50gr .220 swift and then 74gr 5.6x57.

it doesent show it in the pic but the 5.6x57 is slightly wider than the swift and the case seams to be much thicker at least around the neck

the box quotes 3450fps or something like that with a 74gr head. a savage round id say. i hope to have a shot of it some day soon if i play my cards right

anyway there it is 74gr 5.6x57. at least we now have a face for the name

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

At what cost was the rounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

paddy2008 wrote: »
    At what cost was the rounds?

he just said "very expensive" i will ask him again tomorrow, and that is the only round available for that cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Very nice. I saw about five or six boxes in the bin in Midlands recently. Figured someone was shooting up their leftovers and moving on a rifle or having it destroyed or something. nice round though, one of very few .22 centrefires designed for small medium game from the ground up, unlike the .220 swift and .22-250, it's actually a deer cartridge by design rather than adaptation. The neck would be thick alright as it's necked down all the way from 7mm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Of the two ppl I have ever met that shoots it said there paying in and around the 60 euro mark for a box! :eek:

Why is the round so expensive?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    i hope to have a shot of it some day soon if i play my cards right

Poulo,
    Do you have a rifle that chambers this stuff or are you hoping to find someone that does?

• Advertisement

FISMA wrote: »
    Poulo,
    Do you have a rifle that chambers this stuff or are you hoping to find someone that does?

My local firearms dealer "Mick dougan" has it and I have bin invited shooting with him a few times but haven't got around to it yet. He is into his rifles and he bought it to try out something different. The rifle is an old krico that cost £1500 Irish punts back when that was a lot of money. It was in storage for most of it life until recently. I will get a pic of the rifle tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

patsat wrote: »
    Of the two ppl I have ever met that shoots it said there paying in and around the 60 euro mark for a box! :eek:
    Want a reach around for that kinda bread :eek:

Why is the round so expensive?? :confused:

They are only chambered by a couple of companies.
    I fired two different models of them.

When I was a kid it was the most common rifle for deer in the midlands.
    Fox shreader too ;)
    Very accurate, but after 2-5 rounds they reddened barrels.
    Serious report out of them.

Krico was a common rifle in that cal at the time.
    They did not exit, but they did serious internal damage.

I butchered deer that was shot with them and wound channel was impressive, not as impressive as a .308 though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

They are only chambered by a couple of companies.

Which seems to me that they are charging that ridiculous price because they can! :mad:

I butchered deer that was shot with them and wound channel was impressive, not as impressive as a .308 though ;)

You mustnt have butchered a deer shot with a .270 so! :P

patsat wrote: »
    Which seems to me that they are charging that ridiculous price because they can! :mad:

You mustnt have butchered a deer shot with a .270 so! :P

Nope, only one of my mates shoots .270 and he is a dab hand and does not need my help butchering.

The 5.6 died out in a similar fashion to the swift did.
    Too expensive to run and better cheaper alternatives out there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I believe it causes a lot of meat damage from hydrostatic shock.
    Ferocious round I would say.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I believe it causes a lot of meat damage from hydrostatic shock.
    Ferocious round I would say.

Well I saw deer get up from it.
    Can't say that about .308 :D

It was a stop gap here as we could not get more useful calibres, yet folk preferred them over a .270 as that was the only deer alternative at the time (that and .22-250)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

Here's something else different it's a Swedish 6.5 x 55 training round ,reduced load with a " slug " in place of the normal projectile . Bought a thousand of them years ago still haven't used them all . Usually let my buddies kid's shoot them off when were up at his place . Fairly accurate at about 100 yards.
    IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG

cruisedub1 wrote: »
    Here's something else different it's a Swedish 6.5 x 55 training round ,reduced load with a " slug " in place of the normal projectile . Bought a thousand of them years ago still haven't used them all . Usually let my buddies kid's shoot them off when were up at his place . Fairly accurate at about 100 yards.
    IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG

Looks like you just wore off the top of it.
    I would imagin they would be still quiet lethal even with reduced charge.
    How much were they.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    Looks like you just wore off the top of it.
    I would imagin they would be still quiet lethal even with reduced charge.
    How much were they.

Yes ,you have to treat them just the same as you would a standard round . Paid $79.99 according to the label on the box , bought them at Trader Sports in San Leandro just south of San Francisco , used to be a good store but unfortunately don't sell firearms any more due to legal troubles with the state and fed's .

cruisedub1 wrote: »
    Yes ,you have to treat them just the same as you would a standard round . Paid $79.99 according to the label on the box , bought them at Trader Sports in San Leandro just south of San Francisco , used to be a good store but unfortunately don't sell firearms any more due to legal troubles with the state and fed's .

They grouped awful in my Old Swedish Mauser, they only thing they train you for was recoil and noise, never acccuracy

i was talking to mick this evening about the price of the rounds.
    they are working out at €46 a box. a bit expensive but not the €60 we thought they were

e554701e.jpg

Are you trying to talk yerself into buying that Krico :D ??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Not too bad, pretty much in line with other RWS offerings. Not the cheapest manufacturer out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Ah, the auld lad still shoots those!

Full stock Krico, double set trigger and a Swarovski scope. Shot my first fox and deer with the 5.6, lots of tissue damage even compared to when I got my own .270.

I bought a full stock Steyr but my gun was thicker through the grip and heavier altogether. The krico is a lovely gun. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

im interested to see who actually had/has one of these !!!someone saying it was the most common deer rifle around when they were a kid
    all the lads and lasses i knew that shot deer all used a 22-250 until things got easier a few years ago, i have never seen or heard of anyone using one of these beasties .

• Advertisement

Like I said above, my Father had one and still has it. I remember him getting it so it must be thirty odd years ago when he first got it.

:DShot deer all over the country with it.

That said, most of the other guys of my Father's generation had .22-250, generally the old Parker Hale with a bolt like something off a nine bar gate! I saw a lot of Sako in .22-250 around Munster, and one guy who had a 6.5x55 Heym :)

Like I said above, my Father had one and still has it. I remember him getting it so it must be thirty odd years ago when he first got it.

:DShot deer all over the country with it.

That said, most of the other guys of my Father's generation had .22-250, generally the old Parker Hale with a bolt like something off a nine bar gate! I saw a lot of Sako in .22-250 around Munster, and one guy who had a 6.5x55 Heym :)

how much is your dad paying for the rounds, and are they RWS 74gr like above

landkeeper wrote: »
    im interested to see who actually had/has one of these !!!someone saying it was the most common deer rifle around when they were a kid
    all the lads and lasses i knew that shot deer all used a 22-250 until things got easier a few years ago, i have never seen or heard of anyone using one of these beasties .

A 5.6x57 was considered ok as Even the local Cop who was a deer stalker used one, I only knew of 1 .22-250 and the others had 5.6x57 and .270!

I can't believe you never heard of a 5.6x57 as as kids it was the talk of the place as a foxer/deer rifle

how much is your dad paying for the rounds, and are they RWS 74gr like above

I've no idea what he pays for ammo, I'll ask when I see him. They are RWS cone points and as far as I know that's the only round available for the 5.6?

Found this on Wikipedia though-
    With a factory-load velocity of 3,500 ft/s (1,100 m/s) with a 74-grain, cone-pointed bullet, it is approximately 100 ft/s (30 m/s) faster than the .220 Swift cartridge firing a bullet of equivalent weight. The larger case capacity means that handloaders can produce 50-grain loads that, with velocities in excess of 4,100 ft/s (1,200 m/s), will outpace anything that can safely be achieved by the Swift. There are no dimensional or ballistic differences between the 5.6x57mm round and the 5.6x57mmR round, other than that the latter is rimmed.

I have seen deer run on when chest shot with this round, but found that massive damage had been done internally when the animal was recovered. I've never seen my .270 turn the front end of a deer into jelly and clots the way the 5.6 did! It was the Daddy at the time when you could not get licenced on larger than .224 calibre. Designed for Muntjac and Roe Deer?

Like using .270 on Sika, decisive!

no never seen one :confused: back in the day we had a simple choice or so i thought .22 lr or magnum or hornet and if you wanted a deer rifle you gave up your .22 and got a 22-250 never heard of anyone having different
    it took me 6mnths and about 4 applications in 1988 to get a hornet as well as a 22lr and at the time i was told by the gard that helped me get it i was the only lad in the state with two legally held rifles now that may have been stretching the truth i don't know l

no never seen one :confused: back in the day we had a simple choice or so i thought .22 lr or magnum or hornet and if you wanted a deer rifle you gave up your .22 and got a 22-250 never heard of anyone having different
    it took me 6mnths and about 4 applications in 1988 to get a hornet as well as a 22lr and at the time i was told by the gard that helped me get it i was the only lad in the state with two legally held rifles now that may have been stretching the truth i don't know l

A lot of it was down to the dealers, if one rifle sold and was licensed everyone else bought the same.
    They normaly were very light rifles, 6lbs I think the Krico was, the styer was almost the same, double trigger etc

I saw one group under 1" at 200 yards so very versatile as a foxer/deer rifle.
    They were £1.50 punt a round back in the day as far as I remember

looks to me as if its another myth ;)

looks to me as if its another myth ;)

I don't get ya?
    When MRC opened up first there were loads of them there, you could get an adapter for them to fire .22hornet and magnum, grouping was sh*t with adapters though

Advertisement