Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography HL - Irish Landform?

• 05-06-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

For the question entitled: "Examine the processes that lead to the formation of any Irish landform of your choice."

Can I use the Burren for this?
    Or is that a landscape?
    Do I have to use something like a waterfall instead?
    Could I use a karst surface feature?
    Could I use a feature in rivers like levees etc?

Appreciate any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

You can definitely use waterfalls and levees.

I'm not sure about the Burren! Maybe "dripstone" would be your feature and you could talk about the formation of limestone then go on to talk about dripstone but dont quote me on it. Actually come to think of it, I think that is a landscape.

I do waterfalls anyway and have levees as my back up plan.

Good luck!

Geography is the one I'm dreading the most

• Registered Users Posts: 24 murphp

Thanks a million, was half way through learning the Burren and then it hit me.

I've learned levees as a formation of river deposition anyway so I should be grand hopefully with that.

Yep I'm 100% levees are grand :)

I'm scared in case they ask "river erosion/deposition" specifically one year..

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

if they start specifying in the questions it's gonna be a terrible exam :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Gavarn

My teacher seems to reckon this year that they will be specific to Erosion or Deposition. I have learned Waterfall and Delta (I noticed you said Levees) to cover myself, I suggest you do the same.
    The thing that gets me about the geography exam is the fact that we can learn things off, but it's all about the layout of the question. For physical question, I hope it's a decent part a, "any Irish land form (if not erosion!) and human interaction with river (three gorges dam I studied) or interaction with rock cycle (Tara mines).

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Gavarn wrote: »
    My teacher seems to reckon this year that they will be specific to Erosion or Deposition. I have learned Waterfall and Delta (I noticed you said Levees) to cover myself, I suggest you do the same.
    The thing that gets me about the geography exam is the fact that we can learn things off, but it's all about the layout of the question. For physical question, I hope it's a decent part a, "any Irish land form (if not erosion!) and human interaction with river (three gorges dam I studied) or interaction with rock cycle (Tara mines).

Best of luck!
    That'd be a gift of a question :D I really don't want to learn specifically tbh :/ Like, I think if it does come up specifically on deposition feature, I'll hope that the other 2 questions have 2 questions that I am prepared for.. I dunno if its worth taking the chance...? :D

It would be a miracle if that was the layout of the question, I hope it is! :P I just want to avoid the plate tectonics, however, that seems to be impossible unless you learn the rock formation, landforms and basically everything that could come up in the physical section!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

I have a cirque prepared, what could I use for deposition? I know nothing about levees... What about a drumlin?

Also, while I'm here, if a question asks for two volcanic landforms, could I use Antrim-Derry plateau and Leinster Batholith?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭enaeknala1

Yea make sure u have one for erosion and deposition. Going for waterfalls and ox-bow lakes myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

***Tip***

Know how to discuss levees,
    This could be used for;
    Irish landform,
    Human interaction with river processes, ( human build & raise levees like Rhine Germany).

For anyone leaving it this late, just now the following & you should pick up 80 marks in this section!
    Physical geography:
    Irish landform,
    Human interaction with river processes,
    Human interaction with rock cycle,
    Formation of igneous rock,
    Formation of Sedimentary rock,

• Advertisement

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    ***Tip***

This could be used for;
    Irish landform,
    Human interaction with river processes, ( human build & raise levees like Rhine Germany).

For anyone leaving it this late, just now the following & you should pick up 80 marks in this section!
    Physical geography:
    Irish landform,

Damn, had I of realised that I could have used levees for both answers I wouldn't have learned dams :/
    For sedimentary rock formation, has anyone got a sample answer I could swap with something else? My one's way too short :(

Best of luck!

I've learned V-shaped valleys with interlocking spurs for erosion as well as levees for deposition. I also learned 3 Gorges dam for human interaction with river processes and Corrib gas field for human interaction with rock cycle. Along with a load of other physical qs so I should be grand. Good luck to you too.

***Tip***

This could be used for;
    Irish landform,

Physical geography:
    Irish landform,

I've learnt all that except for sedimentary rocks. I dont think they'll come up. I think igneous rocks will come up from examining past papers.

Are you sure about using levees for human interaction with rivers? My sample answer focuses mainly on the formation of levees with just a little bit on human interaction so I'll stick with 3 gorges dam:)

murphp wrote: »
    I've learnt all that except for sedimentary rocks. I dont think they'll come up. I think igneous rocks will come up from examining past papers.

Are you sure about using levees for human interaction with rivers? My sample answer focuses mainly on the formation of levees with just a little bit on human interaction so I'll stick with 3 gorges dam:)

I'm the same as you :) except I've also got an essay on plate tectonics, just a general one. Hoping that will cover me just in case other "guaranteed" questions don't appear! :D

Don't think I'll bother with sedimentary either, it looks like igneous' year hopefully :D

Can they ask for a feature which is formed by both erosion and deposition? I've got notes on meanders with ox bow lakes which involves both.

Can they ask for a feature which is formed by both erosion and deposition? I've got notes on meanders with ox bow lakes which involves both.

I don't think they would. That would be narrowing it down far too much! It's bad enough if they specify to erosion or deposition, because I'm sure there will be people out there thinking they can get away with doing Waterfall just!

they could potentially ask two features of erosion/deposition though! be careful with that too.. :)

biggaman wrote: »
    they could potentially ask two features of erosion/deposition though! be careful with that too.. :)

I was looking over the papers this morning and noticed that on most (if not all) the sample papers in the Folens papers have asked to examine two Irish landforms.

Any ideas on how to answer that, assuming you don't write out the two answers you have learned off as they are 2 pages long each? :confused:

well the marking scheme says 6/7 points on each? draw a diagram and briefing outline the processes at work.. probably best to focus on the processes rather than give a full explanation for both..
    sorry thats probably not much help, I'm not too sure myself so I don't want to mislead you!

Yes im 100% sure ,
    To be honest though I can see nearly everyone on this forum getting absolutely raped by the marking scheme for this physical geography questions & others, simply for not reading the questions carefully.

Human Interaction With surface processes.
    The question will either say:
    River processes or Fluvial processes.

If you go off & give two perfect A4 pages on how humans interact with dams , like. The three gorges dam in China , you can only get 15/30 marks.(D1)
    The questions asked for processes, meaning two or more ways humans interact with rivers.So both Dams & Levee interaction must make up the SRP's.

For the Formation of rocks , yes to be honest I don't think Sedimentary will be asked, this year I think the question will be igneous or The Formation of one rock type & how it produces a distinct landscape.

• Advertisement

I was looking over the papers this morning and noticed that on most (if not all) the sample papers in the Folens papers have asked to examine two Irish landforms.

Any ideas on how to answer that, assuming you don't write out the two answers you have learned off as they are 2 pages long each? :confused:

It is very unlikely the question would ask for two landforms. 2010-2006 ( All one landform)
    Nevertheless, it's not really that hard to answer. Two landforms gives the ability to perform avery brief generalised treatment of both landforms rather than one detailed.

Marking scheme:
    Identify landform: (2M)
    Name processes : (2M)
    Irish Examples: (2M)
    Labelled diagram: (4M)
    Discussion:
    Landform 1 5XSRP's (10M)
    Landform 2 5XSRP's (10M)

It is very unlikely the question would ask for two landforms. 2010-2006 ( All one landform)
    Nevertheless, it's not really that hard to answer. Two landforms gives the ability to perform avery brief generalised treatment of both landforms rather than one detailed.

Marking scheme:
    Discussion:
    Landform 1 5XSRP's (10M)
    Landform 2 5XSRP's (10M)

Come to think of it, formation of TWO landforms would be a pretty cool question. You could do levees and waterfalls and not need to remember half the information to get full marks

QUESTION
    If they ask
    "One way in which humans interact with fluvial processes"
    could you answer: "Flood control" and just go on about levees and dams?

and if they ask:
    "Two ways in which humans interact with rivers"
    could you answer "dams" as one and "levees" ?

Or is that cheeky? :P would you get away with it? My teacher said yes but most of the time she doesnt have a clue what she's on about!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Come to think of it, formation of TWO landforms would be a pretty cool question. You could do levees and waterfalls and not need to remember half the information to get full marks

QUESTION
    If they ask
    "One way in which humans interact with fluvial processes"
    could you answer: "Flood control" and just go on about levees and dams?

and if they ask:
    "Two ways in which humans interact with rivers"
    could you answer "dams" as one and "levees" ?

Or is that cheeky? :P would you get away with it? My teacher said yes but most of the time she doesnt have a clue what she's on about!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

One way in which humans interact with river = Three Gorges dam case study

Two ways, do three gorges dam and another way would be artificial Levees along the Mississippi.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 LimMurf

Guys, I'm nearly 100% sure you can use a Karst Landscape as an Irish Landform. That's what I have learnt for it anyway.. Hmm..
    That's what the teachers in our school teach us anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

Marking scheme:
    Discussion:
    Landform 1 5XSRP's (10M)
    Landform 2 5XSRP's (10M)

Hey, could you give me some advice in relation to the Regional?

I'm pretty much screwed for the Regional as I've really only studied INDIA.

Could you advise me what parts (primary, secondary, tertiary, urban growth) I should focus on for each other region: Ireland (BMW), Dublin (Core), Mezz (Peripheral), Paris Basin (Core), baring in mind I have less than 2 days to learn them!

Thank you, much appreciated :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭redandwhite

Hi....you definitely can't use The Burren as a landform....it's a region. You could however use limestone pavement then focus on carbonation, clints, grikes, karren, fluting etc.

One way in which humans interact with river = Three Gorges dam case study

Two ways, do three gorges dam and another way would be artificial Levees along the Mississippi.

I dont know anything about three gorges dam or mississippi..
    Would the way I said above be ok? i.e
    One way = Flood control (talk about dams and levees)
    Two ways = 1)Dams and 2)Levees

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Yeah Buddy

Yes!

Yeah Buddy wrote: »
    Yes!

You sure?! YAY! :D

• Advertisement

Yes that is basically what three gorges dam and mississippi are about!

Make sure you use an example of flood control (three gorges dam or whatever you done) and an example of Levees (Rhine or Mississippi) that you have studied.

Advertisement