Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cattle Dealers?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Great piece in the Journal, I think it was this week, where they go back in years. It was an old article about how the 'cattle traders' as they were known at the time collectively agreed to boycott these new 'marts'. They stated that they believed they 'were not in the best interest of the Irish beef industry'.
    Long may the mart continue. Great place too for any budding economist to see first hand how the free market really works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

absolutely. and there is a place for dealers in the marts but for them to have too much influence would not be good for the marts survival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

absolutely. and there is a place for dealers in the marts but for them to have too much influence would not be good for the marts survival.

I agree with that, but if you seen some of the smaller days in certain marts, nothing would be sold if it wasn't for the dealers. It's a push/pull situation, we need them but we can't have them controlling the ringside. So a bit of 'plamasing' has to be done with them, if you get my drift.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

A mart is no different to any auction, if the auctioneer sees the same lads buying week in week out s/he is going to let the hammer fall to them now and again to keep things sweet. I love it when an auctioneer gets stuck with a bid that he took 'off the wall.' Place in N Kerry springs to mind for that stunt;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

blue5000 wrote: »
    A mart is no different to any auction, if the auctioneer sees the same lads buying week in week out s/he is going to let the hammer fall to them now and again to keep things sweet. I love it when an auctioneer gets stuck with a bid that he took 'off the wall.' Place in N Kerry springs to mind for that stunt;)

And then who do you thinks takes these dear cattle of the auctioneers hands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

And then who do you thinks takes these dear cattle of the auctioneers hands?

I think the answer to that is the seller -Any time we've been selling and the cattle land on the auctioneer he's turned around and told us that its his bid so no sale

Tipp Man wrote: »
    I think the answer to that is the seller -Any time we've been selling and the cattle land on the auctioneer he's turned around and told us that its his bid so no sale

Depends on the mart. This is why a good auctioneer is necessary. Can be left to the mart if you have a stubborn seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think anyone ever selling there knows what goes on or isnt long finding out;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Tipp Man wrote: »

They usually are left with the auctioneer holding the baby in the marts I deal with, so he/she then has to find a home for them at a price that is above the market price, an it usually the regulars that these have to be shoved on. An auctioneer knowing the value of animals that they are selling is the most important thing in a good mart and frankly some of the auctioneers dont have a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I remember in a mart near us, the auctioneer would regularly buy and sell his own cattle. Even when the owner display came along, he still look into the seller's box and then wink out at the dealers, who always seemed to give him a decent price, well above the going for the day.
    Drove me mad though when he'd be buying his own and you would be the last bidder. He'd take a phantom bid and then come back to you. He wouldn't give you enough time and then knock them down to the phantom bid, himself.
    ..and they wondered why the mart closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

pakalasa wrote: »
    I remember in a mart near us, the auctioneer would regularly buy and sell his own cattle. Even when the owner display came along, he still look into the seller's box and then wink out at the dealers, who always seemed to give him a decent price, well above the going for the day.
    Drove me mad though when he'd be buying his own and you would be the last bidder. He'd take a phantom bid and then come back to you. He wouldn't give you enough time and then knock them down to the phantom bid, himself.

sometimes the autioneer could well be as much of a rogue as any dealer. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I don't follow..... who was winning/losing?? :confused:

Muckit wrote: »
    I don't follow..... who was winning/losing?? :confused:

Auctioneer would pull his own cattle to the last while selling. Ignore bids on what he wanted whilst buying. Atrocious handling of the system but it can still be seen. AIM changes have taught me a lot.......an unknown man's name down for buying, now makes me think. Auctioneer may be the random name as I've seen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I get it now Karen. I realise now that Pakalasa was talking about two separate situations (ie the auctioneer buying and selling cattle for himself). And that when he said 'buying his own' he was referring to the auctioneer buying cattle for himself, not the auctioneer buying his own cattle! Someone buying their own cattle didn't make sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

What I'v often seen happening is an auctioneer, when selling certain dealers' cattle, will take bids that simply aren't there to run up a sky high price in the ring. One bid and they're yours, or more typically the dealer will try sell them outside and use the false ring "price" as their value!

• Advertisement
Advertisement