Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths - Logs

• 05-06-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hey, this is the first time I've ever come across a question like this and was wondering if anyone could help. Not a biggie, just what do you do when:

Squaring logs. (log[1+x])^2

Do I square the (1+x) so that it is log([1+x]^2)? Or do I treat it as two logs multiplying? If so, what the hell can I do with two multiplying logs? (If it's possible that is)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Is not put equal to anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Is not put equal to anything?

What? The equation is a differentiation one and the to be quared log above is the v^2 part of the quotient rule if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Colm92

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    Hey, this is the first time I've ever come across a question like this and was wondering if anyone could help. Not a biggie, just what do you do when:

Squaring logs. (log[1+x])^2

Do I square the (1+x) so that it is log([1+x]^2)? Or do I treat it as two logs multiplying? If so, what the hell can I do with two multiplying logs? (If it's possible that is)

Could we have the rest of the question?

It could have been something like (log[1+x])^2 - log[1+x] = 0?

In which case we could let log[x+1] equal to y and then solve putting back it log[x+1] after we find y. Which in this case is equal to 0 and 1.

What? The equation is a differentiation one and the to be quared log above is the v^2 part of the quotient rule if that helps

Well if it were me I would take it that the squared only applies to the (1+x) and so you could bring it down in front to make 2log(1+x) .

I could be wrong though.... Probably am!

Dy/Dx = [ln(1+x) + 1]/([In(1+x)]^2)... Log to the base 'e' is the natural log, isn't it?

• Advertisement

I got it to :
    __1___ + ____1____
    Ln(1+x). Ln(1+x)^2

Any good to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 ShonyBoulders

Well if it were me I would take it that the squared only applies to the (1+x) and so you could bring it down in front to make 2log(1+x) .

I could be wrong though.... Probably am!

I'm pretty sure you're correct here, and B Fanatic, you're right in saying that log to the base "e" is the natural log. Could we have the original question?

EDIT: Did some work, which I'm not sure is right, but here we go anyway.

Taking Patricia's result, we can rewrite that as:

-ln(1+x) - 2ln(1+x)

And not completely certain, but could we tidy that up to give us :

ln(1+x)[-1-2] =
    -3ln(1+x)

I'm seriously rusty on logs, so do correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 arboroia

So:
    gif&s=57&w=245&h=40

And the derivative is:
    gif&s=9&w=340&h=41

But yet again, what is the question?

EDIT:

@shonyboulders The law you are using only applies if the power is inside of the log, but not outside.

Haha, took one last long hard look at the question there and I solved the problem. Turns out I'm a dumbass! I used quotient rule instead of product, so it's understandable that it's pretty difficult to solve it to anything reasonable. Sorry about that : P

I probably should have realised I made an error when it became anyway hard : /

Edit: http://examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2010/LC003ALP000EV.pdf If you want to have a look at it anyway it's question 7 (C).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 ShonyBoulders

arboroia wrote: »

@shonyboulders The law you are using only applies if the power is inside of the log, but not outside.

Alright cheers mate, I'll definitely need to have another look over logs before the LC. :p

• Advertisement

Haha, took one last long hard look at the question there and I solved the problem. Turns out I'm a dumbass! I used quotient rule instead of product, so it's understandable that it's pretty difficult to solve it to anything reasonable. Sorry about that : P

I probably should have realised I made an error when it became anyway hard : /

Edit: http://examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2010/LC003ALP000EV.pdf If you want to have a look at it anyway it's question 7 (C).

Better to make mistakes now than on Friday! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 arboroia

Alright cheers mate, I'll definitely need to have another look over logs before the LC. :p

No Problem - and remember every single log law is in the log tables, just make sure to ask for a copy - see page 21!

Advertisement