Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone Smart 858 Android 2.2 Phone €59

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bk109

The_Thing wrote: »
    Thanks for the update, bk109.

I've been happily running the debranded ROM since the last time I posted here.

What enhancements will this ROM bring to my device? Does it include the Vodafone bloatware I got rid of by using the debranded ROM?
    Don't worry,there's no vodaware on it. As for enhancements, most are more felt than glaringly obvious when you make the jump from the Froyo-based SL, but as you're running the default(just unbranded) 2.2:
    - A working equilizer (both in the Andro Music player and as a separate app for the entire system)
    - An over and underclock-ready kernel (which means that your device can run at frequencies ranging from 30 MHz to 729MHz) that allows you to squeeze out some more battery-time outta the device
    - Multi-touch is enabled in both this CyanoMod and the Froyo-based LuckyROM
    - According to the dev (but I can't confirm since I don't have a .11n router), the device has some sort of 802.11n capability
    - The camera's unlocked to its QXGA hardware maximum 3.1 Valid for the 2.2 Froyo SmartLucky,for some reason in the CyanoMod it's taking pics in UXGA
    - The handset does seem snappier even without overclocking (at 729MHz it feels almost like a mid-range device :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

bk109 wrote: »
    If you haven't touched anything - 600 MHz and the device runs on a constant 'on demand' CPU governor. Btw, how much did you manage to squeeze out of your device with the stock settings?I'm asking because mine managed 16 hours (WLAN on, 2G network, Normal usage including ~40 mins of Angry Birds) with some fairly basic CPU profiles
    Edit:16 hours,but I had 22% battery remaining when I plugged it in to charge

I'm a fairly light user, apart from WLAN (which I turn off when not using), Winamp and Kindle it doesn't get much use. Data and GPS are almost never on. I've never done a full test, but I would easily get a full day and even then I'd still have 25% to 30% left. The phone was reporting that GPS Status used 71% of the battery and since I have no use for it anyway, I got rid of it.

Adyx wrote: »
    I'm a fairly light user, apart from WLAN (which I turn off when not using), Winamp and Kindle it doesn't get much use. Data and GPS are almost never on. I've never done a full test, but I would easily get a full day and even then I'd still have 25% to 30% left. The phone was reporting that GPS Status used 71% of the battery and since I have no use for it anyway, I got rid of it.
    I wouldn't pay that much attention to that statistic since the default battery meter is somewhat temperamental. Otherwise,if I went your route and tried some real powersaving tricks, the phone would probably do 30 hours,maybe slightly more.However, as I have a spare battery if the phone dies on me,I leave the WLAN constantly on and the screen on 'auto',but I am yet to need to top off the battery to last me a normal workday - aka unplugged from 7 to 23 :)

6.5 hours (i.e while I was asleep) to go from 100% charge to 19%. :( No WLAN, data, GPS, Bluetooth turned on and screen was off.

6.5 hours (i.e while I was asleep) to go from 100% charge to 19%. :( No WLAN, data, GPS, Bluetooth turned on and screen was off.
    If that's without CPU power profiles - that's kinda bad,but probably fixable . Try using the following one :
    Main Profile - 30 - 729 MHz 'on demand' governor
    Screen Off - 30 - 320 MHz 'on demand' (or 'conservative') governor
    Low battery - 30 - 320/480 MHz 'on demand' (or 'conservative') governor
    If the default CPU control app doesn't have profiles(haven't used that one.. ever), grab SetCPU from xda-devs and see if that makes a difference (Ah,don't forget to disable the default CPU control app so it doesn't interfere with SetCPU)
    Now,if that's with enabled power profiles... well,that's a problem,maybe even a big one with your battery

PS.I'm trying to recreate the 6.5 hours of standby usage to see how big is the standby battery drain with the aforementioned power profiles
    @1 hour 25 minutes - the battery's at 99% (WLAN/Sync is on , 2G network, network data disabled)

I think I found the culprit! I noticed that the DSP Manager app that was also included in the SmartLucky rom, was running, I froze it using AntTek App Manager and recharged my phone fully. Almost 3 hours later and having made a couple of calls and texts, my battery is at 96%. I'll still keep an eye on it though. It might just be coincidence, but that is the only thing I changed.

I didn't have any profiles set before, but I might use your suggestions now anyway. Thanks!

I think I found the culprit! I noticed that the DSP Manager app that was also included in the SmartLucky rom, was running, I froze it using AntTek App Manager and recharged my phone fully. Almost 3 hours later and having made a couple of calls and texts, my battery is at 96%. I'll still keep an eye on it though. It might just be coincidence, but that is the only thing I changed.

I didn't have any profiles set before, but I might use your suggestions now anyway. Thanks!
    I don't think it's a coincidence as this thing acts a bit like a constant-on buffer between the audio system and the hardware,so it is most likely the reason why it drained the battery so fast (by pushing the CPU to run at a higher clockrate). If you do implement profiles,you might see some real performance benefits without significant (or any) battery life issues.

For the record - after 3:30 minutes,my Smart's down to 95% battery with DSP and the other aforementioned settings (btw the 3:30 includes some 25 minutes of talking on skype)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭TM

Anybody know where I might get the Vodafone Ireland stock ROM update.app for this phone? Obviously I've Googled but all the places that used to have it seem to be broken links now...

Anyone... :(

• Advertisement

Cheers - that's great, thanks a million. :)

Update: that worked a treat - thanks a lot. I just had to test something on the stock ROM. Now that the Smart 858 is my backup/experimental phone! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭amandstu

Any one out there with an idea as to how I can get my touch screen to work again?

It started out as just very unresponsive on the opening screen but eventually I couldn't open it at all (get past that first screen).

When I did a factory reset I was able to navigate around (so the screen itself seemed to be working)

On any reboot however it stuck at the opening screen (so I couldn't take calls).

So I opened it up and put it back together (thinking it might need some drying out possibly)

Now when I switch it on (even to do a hard reset ) none of the touch screen "buttons" work at all.

I don't think I could have put it back together wrong as the power button works OK and it seems to have clicked back into place.

It seems odd that the screen would go as suddenly as that.

Can I download anything from the Android site or does this really look like it must be hardware?

Needed drying out? Is it water damaged?
    What do you mean stuck at the "opening screen"? What screen exactly?
    Seems odd that it would work first off but then stop working after a reboot...
    Have you tried reseating all connectors in case something was just on edge and didn't make proper contact after a reboot?

hi
    no I don't think it is water damaged.

It has had a hairline crack in the outer screen for a good year and this made me suspect it may have got damp inside over all the intervening period.But when I opened it and was able to see the actual screen directly it seemed bone dry(not to say that I wouldn't be beyond leaving it opened up in a warm place for a few days if I thought that there could actually be some dampness somewhere in a hard to access area).

The "opening screen"? is what you see when you get a call (or the phone starts up) .You have to swipe an icon from left to right to answer the call.
    Only then can you either answer a call or access any of the rest of the phone (messages ,apps setting alarms etc etc ).I call it the "opening screen" in that it it is the first screen you see.

Yes I have reopened and reset it about 5 or 6 times in case it mightn't be making a proper contact and I can't seem to see where that might be happening.The 2 halves of the casing are snapped together all round tightly (it is pretty fiddly as there are a couple of small floppy " tongues" that you have to get into their opposing recess (one is at the power button and the other is at the top right "shoulder" with the phone screen facing towards you and with the power button at the top left.

They are like little flexible "flaps" -not metallic and not likely to get bent but you have to straighten them a bit as you put the 2 halves of the phone together.

OK - I presume by "opening screen" you mean the "lock screen"?
    Unfortunately I don't really know why it's not working unless it got damaged while disassembling/reassembling it and the fact that it worked after the first reboot was just a fluke?
    If all else fails maybe take it to a repair shop for assessment/advice?
    Hopefully you backed up your data or still can some way (e.g. via USB connection)?

No I didn't bother backing anything up.I just did a hard reset.

I did take it into Carphonewarehouse but they said it is not worth looking at as it would cost too much considering it only cost 80 euro.

These lock screens are a 2 edged sword .It is like when I lost the car key -I almost had to get a tow into the garage!

If I could disable the lock screen I would but it seems to be like a dragon on the bridge!

The lock screen isn't the problem here. If the touchscreen isn't working then even if there was no lock screen you still wouldn't be able to do anything such as answer calls.

As it happens I don't bother with a lock screen any more as I don't find I need it.

You can get second hand Smart 858s for very little (e.g. on Adverts.ie) but it's quite and old and poorly spec'd handset at this stage.

OK .Thanks anyway.(I have another (even older ) phone thankfully to take calls for the time being)
    You are right about Adverts.ie -an amazing amount of offers for old phones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement