Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry - Leaving out Organic and Oxidation and Reduction

Options
  • 06-06-2011 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Basically, I am wanting to avoid Organic Chemistry (except the experiments Question 2) and Oxidation and Reduction. My teacher says it is possible, but she doesn't recommend it. I am ok with the rest of the paper, however at this stage, I would have to put a lot of effort into learning both of them topics.

I am going to have all the experiments learnt off, so there are 3 questions covered. Meaning I will have to choose 5 of the remaining 8 questions.

What is the general opinion of leaving out both Organic and Oxidation and Reduction? Is it too big of a risk? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

I am not a fan of organic but I do like fuels and heats so I an going to learn that as it is gauranteed but I don't like the other organic so not doing it!

Tbh if you no everything else ..... Inc electro and the option you should be ok
    You would have:
    Q1 exp
    Q2 exp
    Q3 exp
    Q4 shorts (you may end up not been able to answer every question)
    Q5 core chemistry (first 8 chapters and you will be fine. Although it can be a tricky question sometimes.
    Q6 usually fuels so it's gone
    Q7 water (grand really)
    Q8 other organic :(
    Q9 rates or equilibrium (will be a nice q if you know the chapters)
    Q10 eq if not in q9. Something on the core material and maybe calculations but you could get an oxidation reduction one
    Q11 calculations, option and electro. Bare in mind that if you like electrochemistry or find it ok then it could be ruined for you if they put in some oxidation reduction.

And the fuels q this year could be incorporated with the catalytic converter in rates ...... Would be a nice question.

But ya you should be grand if you know the rest well but you will have little or no choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Gavarn

Thanks for explaining that, I don't mind fuels and heats of reaction chapter! It is pretty easy to learn off, nothing too complicated! I am hoping that they forget to put oxidation and reduction in the paper :P Especially when it ruins the choices in Q10 and 11. Thanks again, and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Gavarn wrote: »
    Thanks for explaining that, I don't mind fuels and heats of reaction chapter! It is pretty easy to learn off, nothing too complicated! I am hoping that they forget to put oxidation and reduction in the paper :P Especially when it ruins the choices in Q10 and 11. Thanks again, and best of luck!

No problem and good luck to you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Leaving out Redox... perhaps.

But leaving out organic chemistry is very very dangerous. It's not uncommon to have three or more organic questions on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I wouldn't leave out organic chemistry if I were in your shoes. I would at least do petrol/fuel, fractional distillation and that kinda stuff and heats of reaction. At the very least. I'd liken not doing organic chemistry to leaving out genetics, respiration and photosynthesis (pretty much all the biochem) in biology...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

When I did it 2 years ago the topics we left out were electrochemistry and the option and 3 of us got the A1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Gavarn

Leaving out Redox... perhaps.

But leaving out organic chemistry is very very dangerous. It's not uncommon to have three or more organic questions on the paper.

In them three questions you are including the Fuels and Heats of reaction chapter?? If so, then it's grand, I know that chapter pretty well, it's usually Q6? :)

It's the other question, Q8 that I dislike. Or is there another Q on the organic that I have missed out? :confused:

I will do the organic experiment definitely!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭feels2gd2btrue

i did the lc last year, i didn't do the two organics in section B (even though i new organic and liked it) because i thought they were too hard, i still got an A1 so it is possible to leave out organic but if you start leaving other bits out that could lead to trouble! we had everything covered, even the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

i did the lc last year, i didn't do the two organics in section B (even though i new organic and liked it) because i thought they were too hard, i still got an A1 so it is possible to leave out organic but if you start leaving other bits out that could lead to trouble! we had everything covered, even the option.

I have 4 days just to focus on Chemistry during the leaving cert.
    Any major tips to get an A1?
    What should I focus on?
    I got an C1 in my mocks without too much effort and have worked hard on it since then. Is it achievable? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Organic chemistry can be worth as much as 197 of the 400 marks so studying that ad nauseam wouldn't be a bad idea. Other than that just know the experiments: prep of ethanal, ethanoic acid/Winkler/RMM of volatile liquid and you should do okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭feels2gd2btrue

Sm4shbox wrote: »
    I have 4 days just to focus on Chemistry during the leaving cert.
    Any major tips to get an A1?
    What should I focus on?
    I got an C1 in my mocks without too much effort and have worked hard on it since then. Is it achievable? :p

It's definitely possible to bring up your grade if you have put in work since the mocks. For those four days i would suggest covering every experiment in detail, do all three experiment questions on the paper, it is the easiest way to pick up marks. I got full marks in the lc in this section and this definitely helped me get an A1.
    Make sure you have done all the past exam questions, I had all the answers done out and this is what i revised the night before chemistry. There is usually some bit of repetition.
    If you can attempt an extra question, do one, most people will get an extra question done in the time! Focus on what you are good at, if you don't understand a topic by now (e.g electrochemistry) don't worry about it at this stage!
    I came out of the chemistry exam last year in tears, as did most of my year! Everyone thought it was awful, even the teachers. The marking scheme was adjusted to give students higher grades, I went form an B1 to an A1 after the marking scheme was changed. So even if you think the paper was awful, you'll get what you deserve. Good luck:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Lc2020

Gavarn wrote: »
    Basically, I am wanting to avoid Organic Chemistry (except the experiments Question 2) and Oxidation and Reduction. My teacher says it is possible, but she doesn't recommend it. I am ok with the rest of the paper, however at this stage, I would have to put a lot of effort into learning both of them topics.

I am going to have all the experiments learnt off, so there are 3 questions covered. Meaning I will have to choose 5 of the remaining 8 questions.

What is the general opinion of leaving out both Organic and Oxidation and Reduction? Is it too big of a risk? :confused:

Leaving out organic chem is too big a risk to take-you'll definitely pay the price.

Honestly, it isn't that bad at all. Get to grips with the basics familiarising yourself with each family of organic compounds and practice every exam question from say 2017-2002, you'll be flying.

Again considering the liklihood of a redox titration coming up this year, and its absence in 2019's paper I really don't think it'd be a good idea to leave it out. Up to you..

But yeah to get a H1, having a good understanding of organic sets you up for potentially 3, 3 and a half questions !

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You're replying to a thread from 2011! ;)

I think they may have sat the LC by now ... :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement