Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very chilly Tuesday-Wednesday with rain and risk of hill snow

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

cml387 wrote: »
    Could anyone post up the record minimum June temperature for Ireland?
    -3.3c at Clonsast Co offaly June 1st 1962.
    -0.7c at Casement on the same date.
    I wonder what the following winter was like? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

I remember early July 1997 being cold too for the time of year. Some daytime maxes of only 10 or 11C on the 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

-3.3c at Clonsast Co offaly June 1st 1962.
    -0.7c at Casement on the same date.
    I wonder what the following winter was like? ;)

The coming winter would want to be that good to make up for this cr*p summer so far:(

PS: The temps in Casement this afternoon have been hovering between 7 to 9C - Is my calendar broken or what???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Pangea wrote: »
    Should be alright, although last winter I seen these hills white when some of the bluestacks which are higher than 500ms had none.
    Looking over now and there is none, the patch I seen earlier probably only lasted a short while.

On BBC NI weather they mentioned snow fell on Cumber??? Anyway it was somewhere in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have a hot water bottle :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Drove from Leitrim to Sligo this evening (well done me eh?) anyways there was a hailstorm before Geevagh but it turned to heavy sleet for a time before turning back to rain and then the next thing I know the road was white where there had been probably heavy hail. Then in 200m time the road was completely dry and the sun was shining.Eerie. The climate is fuced. If we do get any warm weather its above average and when we get cold its colder than average. There is an airflow stuck that wont be shifted in June due to Jetstream cool upper air masses and mobile westerlies.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Global warming eh? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

But climate is only an average of the peaks and valleys that have always occured. People seem to have formed (or it's been formed for them) the false impression that the "normal" climate of yeaars ago was steady, with very few fluctuations up or down. That's not the case, and people need to realise that. There have in the past been colder June days than today, and warmer June days than last Friday, but of course we're not supposed to mention them.

I take your point SU but isnt it strange that almost every month we are seeing the highest something on record or lowest something or that

e.g. Lowest Christmas day temperature on record 2010 in some places, Warmest April on record in some regions, Highest wind speed on record May 2011 Belmullet,

We have other things too like highest range in temperature for a day or lowest December temperature.

Man has made some difference to the climate more than in the past and it has been proven but Global Warming is an inaccurate name.

More extremes in the weather are evident these days.

Oh and those Gorse Fires in April were bad too even if they were man made!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

SC, your point is generally valid from a statistical analysis of long-term climate records. The variability in fifty-year periods has always remained about the same in the 350-year CET record, and the only period when it decreased was 1988 to 2007 which was generally warmer than average as well as showing decreased variability. So I think that in the past four years we have probably seen a return to a more "normal" climate as well as a more normal variability in climate.

However, I'm not sure if it has ever been much colder on the night of June 9-10 as the current distribution of temperatures across Ireland. One or two stations might have fallen lower under clear skies but the average temperature right now is probably about as low as it has ever been in historical times at least, for this time of year. The recent warm spell, on the other hand, was at least three or four degrees cooler than a similar spell in 2009 that I remember because it happened when I started my daily forecasting, and we saw 29 degrees then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

Any thoughts on whether this current cold spell (and possibly the coming winter) will be influenced by the Grimsvoetn eruption? The plume reached 65,000 feet; as I understand it, it has to reach 50,000 to influence the climate....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

We were throwing hail balls at work yesterday evening following a very hail shower, last night was very cold with temp down to 4 degrees on my machine.

Another stinker from ECM this morning dead.gif - I fear only July can save this "summer" now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Hail falling as I type here in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

thin layer of ice on my wind screen this morning, air temp of 3c when i started the car at 7am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

0.5C at Mullingar this morning, with a grass temperature of -3C.

Yes very disturbed and dont think July will be much better. Once Summer gets stuck its stuck. Mobile Westerlies/Northwesterlies/Southwesterlies (Atlantic weather fronts) can last a matter of months before Anticyclone takes over once more. Dont write it off yet but it doesnt look too good now. And Im the one who forecasted a warm Summer so I think thats a bad forecast. Maybe a warm Winter? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

pauldry wrote: »
    Maybe a warm Winter? :rolleyes:

I'd take an Indian Summer in September/October and a mild winter.:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    I'd take an Indian Summer in September/October and a mild winter.:)

I would consider that mere mockery by the Irish climate:(;)

Amazing to be out in the evening in June and see your breath or hear of frost especially when the nights are so short!!! Its still bright at 10pm and completely daylight before 6am!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Snow on the mountains in Kerry this morning, only wish I had time to take a picture. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Snow in parts of UK this a.m!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

yes snow did fall in wales,here's a report from BBC

10 June 2011

Summer snow falls on summit of Snowdon
    _53356224_showsnowdonother.jpg This was the scene on top of Snowdon at lunchtime on Friday

The summit of Snowdon under a white blanket of snow: it's a picture postcard cliche.

But if you thought this photograph was taken in the dark days of winter then think again.
    The wintry scene, at the Snowdon Mountain Railway's terminus near Hafod Eryri, was photographed at 1300 BST on Friday - in the middle of June, days before the start of Wimbledon and just over a week before the summer solstice.

Around the UK this week counties have been declaring drought conditions after one of warmest and driest springs in memory. Parts of Wales, too, have been experiencing very dry weather.

No wonder, then, that there was an element of surprise among those working and walking at the top of Wales' highest mountain.
    "It started hailing around lunchtime, then it snowed for about an hour," said Jonathan Tyler, manager of Snowdon Mountain Railway's visitor centre at the summit of the mountain.

"It wasn't cold, but people were arriving at the summit looking quite bemused. It was summer at the bottom of the mountain and winter at the top."
    Given the vagaries of the Welsh weather and Snowdon's 1085m (3560ft) altitude, experts say such climatic contrasts are to be expected from time to time.
    It was summer at the bottom of the mountain and winter at the top”
    said Jonathan Tyler Snowdon Mountain Railway
    "It's not common but it's not unheard of," said BBC Wales weather presenter Behnaz Akhgar.
    "We are going through a little bit of a cold spell at the moment, with temperatures of 12-13C when the average temperature for this time of year is 18-19C.

"It looks like heavy showers on top of the mountain dragged down colder air and into that came sleet, hail and, yes, even snow."
    Ms Akhgar warned hillwalkers in north Wales to check weather forecasts before setting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

thats mad , in the middle of summer like !!!

Advertisement