Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Length of essays in English papers

• 06-06-2011 3:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

I am just curious to find out how many pages you guys are planning on doing for each section in paper 2

For me its looking around

3-4 pages for Hamlet question
    4-4 1/2 pages for comparative
    3-3 1/2 pages for poetry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Usually for me it's

Main Text- 3/4
    Comparative- 4/5
    Poetry - 4/5

Really, it isn't necessary to do any more than that. I usually write lightning fast so I can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Usually for me it's

Main Text- 3/4
    Comparative- 4/5
    Poetry - 4/5

Really, it isn't necessary to do any more than that. I usually write lightning fast so I can get away with it.

True, I can write very fast myself aswell but my writing tends to get a bit messy as a result and can lead to examiner not fully understanding some words or letters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 arboroia

There is a good breakdown about how much to write on every section at http://leavingcertenglish.net/2011/05/10/how-much-to-write/.

arboroia wrote: »
    There is a good breakdown about how much to write on every section at http://leavingcertenglish.net/2011/05/10/how-much-to-write/.

Thas for that, it says that anything less than 5 pages on the compative is flimsy O_O I was plannin on jus doin 4 , will have to slap some more info together to make up the page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Quality over quantity. Dont throw together another page at this stage if you're happy with what you have. It'll only serve to bring your mark down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The minimum you'd want to write is 3 pages for Hamlet/Poetry and 4 pages for the comparative.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

is this serious? i wrote a total of

6 pages for paper 1

and

2 pages for hamlet
    2.5 pages for the comparative
    2/3 of a page for unseen
    just under 2 pages for the prescribed

and ended up with 87%. unless you have the writing of a 5 year old, i really dont see how people have time to write as much as you suggest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

BrendaN_f wrote: »

6 pages for paper 1

and

2 pages for hamlet
    2/3 of a page for unseen

and ended up with 87%. unless you have the writing of a 5 year old, i really dont see how people have time to write as much as you suggest
    I would be wary of writing so little in the actual Leaving Cert. Less than two pages for the prescribed poetry section is really pushing the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

6 pages for paper 1

and

2 pages for hamlet
    2/3 of a page for unseen

I think you need to speed up your writing if you can't write more than that. If I was an examiner I would be very sceptical of so little.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

6 pages for paper 1

and

2 pages for hamlet
    2/3 of a page for unseen

You must have very slow writing...
    In the history exam you need to write about 20 pages in 2 hours 50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 BubblesXD

My teacher corrects the English every year

She suggests for an A/B answer

5 pages Hamlet
    5/6 pages Poetry
    5/6 pages Comparative

I always go over on Comparative as its my favourite.
    In the mocks I ended up doing seven pages on it and got an A so as much as waffle isn't impressive nothings to say the fact you have written loads of pages means that it is waffle

I really doubt in the actual exams you will even get a C for writing that little.

A little bit unfair to say dont you think? Two pages of well supported, coherant and insightful discussion is worth a lot more than five pages of poorly supported, repetetive, badly thought out "discussion." Too many students get caught up on the "how much did you write?" culture. The leaving cert isn't based on writing speed. A well thought out short answer will always out-score waffle and theres no reason why a good short answer cant score the same as a good long answer. If it answers all aspects of the question effectively and with an excellent level of language then it deserves the same grade.

BubblesXD wrote: »
    My teacher corrects the English every year

She suggests for an A/B answer

5 pages Hamlet
    5/6 pages Poetry
    5/6 pages Comparative

I always go over on Comparative as its my favourite.
    In the mocks I ended up doing seven pages on it and got an A so as much as waffle isn't impressive nothings to say the fact you have written loads of pages means that it is waffle

I really doubt in the actual exams you will even get a C for writing that little.
    haha, do you? and what made your mock examiner so much more competent than mine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    A little bit unfair to say dont you think? Two pages of well supported, coherant and insightful discussion is worth a lot more than five pages of poorly supported, repetetive, badly thought out "discussion." Too many students get caught up on the "how much did you write?" culture. The leaving cert isn't based on writing speed. A well thought out short answer will always out-score waffle and theres no reason why a good short answer cant score the same as a good long answer. If it answers all aspects of the question effectively and with an excellent level of language then it deserves the same grade.
    There's no way you can adequately discuss a minimum of 4 poems and give a personal response in less than 2 pages.

Well you could score full marks in Language and Mechanics which is 20 marks. I'd argue that a score of 8-10 could be achieved in both Purpose and Coherance which would give a maximum of 40/50 which is a B1 answer. I would agree that 2 pages, particularly on the poetry, wouldn't be sufficient for an A1 answer but if the rest of your paper is up to scratch an A2 overall would be achievable. I think I was a little unclear with my earlier post. I dont think an A1 could be achieved on Paper 2 with that amount of writing but a B1 or A2 could be. combine this with an excellent Paper 1 and you have an A1 without too much writing on Paper 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Gumbi wrote: »
    There's no way you can adequately discuss a minimum of 4 poems and give a personal response in less than 2 pages.

This would be the point, I think.

Nothing wrong with writing 2 pages if you can argue a valid number of points and discuss 4 poems. But I don't think it is possible to do that comprehensively in so little space. Unless your writing is quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

It's all about quality. A corrector told me that in paper 1 composing (100 marks) she gave an A in that question for slightly less that 2 pages. it's all quality. I have a few essays prepared for P2 and it's as follows
    Single- 3 1/2
    Comparative- 4
    Poetry-slightly less that 3. I've only ever been told my poetry answers are too short. The other two are fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

6 pages for paper 1

and

2 pages for hamlet
    2/3 of a page for unseen

Im calling BS on this. Comparative in 2 and a half is impossible, even with tiny writing. Likewise I dont know how you can write a poetry answer in the same length as a question b.

Im calling BS on this. Comparative in 2 and a half is impossible, even with tiny writing. Likewise I dont know how you can write a poetry answer in the same length as a question b. It would be interesting to see how short your unseen poetry is.

He posted in that that he writes two thirds of a page on the unseen.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

Prescribed poetry - 4
    Unseen poetry (all parts) - 1 1/2 ... tops
    Hamlet - 4
    Comparative - 6

My comparative is scarily long in comparison. There's just way too much to write about!

• Advertisement

Im calling BS on this. Comparative in 2 and a half is impossible, even with tiny writing. Likewise I dont know how you can write a poetry answer in the same length as a question b.

why not? poetry and question b are worth the exact same marks. half a page is more than enough for each poem. factoring in introduction and conclusion, 3 pages is the max i think i could manage on poetry, without starting to babble

Comparative = 5 – 7. Anything less is flimsy. You do have 3 texts after all."

What? That's just stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

A girl I know said her boyfriend was told last year to write around 15 pages for Comparative.. I hope she/he was taking the píss!

I write ~3 for Hamlet and Poetry and ~4 for Comparative. Anything else is a bonus!

Remember Quality > Quantity. The truest cliché ever!

This is exactly why the english leaving cert system is quite flawed, Its all down to the person who marks your test's persoanl preferences, some may feel 4 for comparitive is more than sufficient and some may feel its flimsy, which is ridiculous really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I can't remember how much I wrote in '09, but last year I wrote just over 3 pages for the single text, just under 4 pages for the comparative, 1 for the unseen poem and 3 for the studied poetry and I got an A1. Definitely didn't write a lot more than that in '09 although I'm fuzzy on the details and got an A1 then, too. Try not to focus too much on how much you'll write, and don't compare afterwards either or you'll get freaked out. I remember a guy last year who wrote eight pages for his King Lear answer, everyone else thought that they'd done awfully because they'd only written three or four, but they were fine. Don't tack more onto the end of an answer because you think it's too short either, that's rarely if ever a good idea and I know a few people who did that last year when they answered on a poet they hadn't studied and remembered details of another poem when they'd finished their answer and concluded, even though they weren't making any coherent points and destroyed their essay as a whole they just wrote a summary of a poem at the end with no analysis because they thought "if it's longer, it's better." Oh, and good luck everyone! :) Honestly, it'll be grand. The worst part of the exam is writing for so long! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Quality lads, not quantity!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

polka dot wrote: »
    Prescribed poetry - 4
    Unseen poetry (all parts) - 1 1/2 ... tops
    Hamlet - 4
    Comparative - 6

My comparative is scarily long in comparison. There's just way too much to write about!

Looks reasonable to me. I'd be very happy if I managed that much.

If you effectively deal with the question and cover what it asks, showing you know your stuff, they're not looking for reams of paper to give you that A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Iceboy wrote: »
    This is exactly why the english leaving cert system is quite flawed, Its all down to the person who marks your test's persoanl preferences, some may feel 4 for comparitive is more than sufficient and some may feel its flimsy, which is ridiculous really.

Rubbish! It's not down to how long the examiner feels it should be. It's down to the examiner applying the marking scheme.....and if you look these up, you'll find they don't prescribe how many pages to write.

If you answer the question properly, you'll get the marks. Students have been known to get As discussing only 3 poems in the Poetry section and only discussing two texts on the comparative.

QUALITY NOT QUANTITY

• Advertisement

Also, on the matter of the amount of pages, writing size has a lot to do with it. I have very small writing. I can fit 3 pages of a few of my friends writing onto 2 pages. So one persons 7 page comparative could be 4 or 5 for you if they have large writing and you have small writing.

Advertisement