Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Router

• 06-06-2011 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am an Eircom customer for many years now, and I have an Eircom Netopia 2247-02 router. I believe some of its settings are stopping me from usin it to its full ability. I would like to be able to stream media from my PC to Xbox (music while playing fifa etc). I used to be able to do this with a previous model but a friend set it up for me.

I would also like to set up a homegroup (win 7) over 2 computers within the house but this does not seem to work and my troubleshooter says its a network problem (ie router).

Do you have a settings instruction that I could follow that would enable me to set this up? I have searched the net and tried various solutions but to no avail.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

budhabob wrote: »
    Hi,

I am an Eircom customer for many years now, and I have an Eircom Netopia 2247-02 router. I believe some of its settings are stopping me from usin it to its full ability. I would like to be able to stream media from my PC to Xbox (music while playing fifa etc). I used to be able to do this with a previous model but a friend set it up for me.

I would also like to set up a homegroup (win 7) over 2 computers within the house but this does not seem to work and my troubleshooter says its a network problem (ie router).

Do you have a settings instruction that I could follow that would enable me to set this up? I have searched the net and tried various solutions but to no avail.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Hi budabob
    yes if you have a look at this link Set Up Modem section it should answer this query. If this does not help, let me know.
    Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hi budabob
    yes if you have a look at this link Set Up Modem section it should answer this query. If this does not help, let me know.
    Tony

Good man, I'll give it a try when I get home and see how I get on.

I had a look over that link above, but I cant see anywhere a section that explains how to alter any of the settings to allow me acheive homegroup and xbox streaming etc. Any idea where I might find it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

I had a look over that link above, but I cant see anywhere a section that explains how to alter any of the settings to allow me acheive homegroup and xbox streaming etc. Any idea where I might find it??

Hi budhabob,

The only thing that's been suggested is that you may be using an older version of firmware for the Netopia 2247 router.

Technical Support advise you call them, so that the can check the firmware and if necessary send out the latest firmware. They report no reported issues with using homegroup and XBox, streaming.

Alternatively, if you need technical support, please refer in the first instance to the supplier of the item you are experiencing difficulties with.
    Xbox
    Web:
    XBox Support
    E-mail:
    supxbxen@microsoft.com
    Phone:
    1800 509 186 (9-10 Mon-Fri, Sat 9-8, 9-5 Sun)

Technical Support:
    broadbandsupport.eircom.net
    eircom broadband support (all other packages):
    1890 260 260 (8am-10pm)

Kind regards,
    Ant

Hi budhabob,

The only thing that's been suggested is that you may be using an older version of firmware for the Netopia 2247 router.

Technical Support advise you call them, so that the can check the firmware and if necessary send out the latest firmware. They report no reported issues with using homegroup and XBox, streaming.

Alternatively, if you need technical support, please refer in the first instance to the supplier of the item you are experiencing difficulties with.
    Xbox
    Web:
    XBox Support
    E-mail:
    supxbxen@microsoft.com
    Phone:

Technical Support:
    1890 260 260 (8am-10pm)

Kind regards,
    Ant

Hi Ant,

I know that its not the other hardware that is causing the fault, as it should be a simple case of connecting everything through microsoft software. There may be an issue with the firmware though, and I will ring them as you suggest and check that out. I'll revert back with any progress.

Thanks,

Rob

• Advertisement

Hi budhabob,

Xbox
    Web:
    XBox Support
    E-mail:
    supxbxen@microsoft.com
    Phone:

Technical Support:
    1890 260 260 (8am-10pm)

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 13 philteare

hello,

did you ever get this sorted at all? I've the same problem, trying to set up a homegroup on windows 7. thanks!

Phil.

philteare wrote: »
    hello,

did you ever get this sorted at all? I've the same problem, trying to set up a homegroup on windows 7. thanks!

Phil.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum.

I would advise as above if this is related to Microsoft Windows 7 - homegroup setup.

Regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 11 thegodfather

Hi,

I have a nethopia router supplied by eircom and my NAT settings are showing up as moderate. I rang your customer support and they offered no support at all as they 'do not deal with NAT settings'..... so they dont provide support on a router they supply no?? I'll be cancelling my eircom broadband unless I can get some solution for this because my previous supplier had no problems sorting this issue with their router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

The Eircom routers are sub standard. A lack of support as well. I was promised from one of the Eircom guys here that they would look into the issues I had with connecting to apple to but nothing came of it. In the end I had to get rid of the router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 philteare

for me it appears to be the wireless network usb sticks I was using - I tried using cables to plug the computers to the router and it all works perfectly, so the usb wireless things seem to be the weak link.

Hi,

I have a nethopia router supplied by eircom and my NAT settings are showing up as moderate. I rang your customer support and they offered no support at all as they 'do not deal with NAT settings'..... so they dont provide support on a router they supply no?? I'll be cancelling my eircom broadband unless I can get some solution for this because my previous supplier had no problems sorting this issue with their router.

Hi thegodfather,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Boards Forum.

If you need to change NAT settings on the eircom Modem this should be relatively straight forward. I appreciate what you say regarding the actual Nat Setting changes and Tech Support unable to give you these. I think to be fair, it is unlikely that eircom Technical Support will have the Nat settings for a specific supplier /or manufacturer /or even some added application software.

Most definitely, eircom Technical Support will be able to show you where on the router you will find the menu options to change 'Nat' - Settings, etc. Unfortunately they don't have the necessary information on actual Nat settings for specific setups.

If you're using the eircom Zyxel router :

Log on to the router web interface on your Internet browser and type the following IP address into the address bar : 192.168.1.254

If asked for a login, just type : broadband1 (small letters)

Go to the 'Menu' status (usually on the left hand side of the screen)

Click on 'Network'

and then on 'NAT' - Type what settings you require / or select which portforwarding option you wish to setup.

The following website is very useful in setting up these options for games consoles etc,: http://portforward.com/english/routers/

Similarly, if using the eircom Netopia 2247 router, it is quite similar

Open your Internet browser again and log in to the IP address on your browser's address bar.

Enter 'Expert Mode' on the Menu
    Select 'Configure'
    Select 'Advanced'
    Select 'NAT'
    Then Select 'Define Custom Mode'
    Similarly enter the required settings ;

for e.g : http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netopia/2247-62/2247-62index.htm

I hope this is helpful. Again apologies if there is any misunderstanding around our Technical assistance on this issue.

Best regards,
    Ant

Advertisement