Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server / RELOCATE / HELP please?

Options
  • 06-06-2011 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

1. Dell, Power Connect 2216 (#1 Identical)
    2. Dell, Power Connect 2216 (#2 Identical)
    3. Cisco, Catalyst 2950 Series Switches
    4. Cisco, 2800 Series Integrated Services Routers
    5. SonicWall, TZ 170 25 Node
    6. DSL Modem (3 Mbps/700 Kbps)
    7. Server 1
    8. Server 2
    9. (SwitchBoard on wall) needing to send data to 8 jacks

#’s 1-8 are on a rack and #9 is on the wall connected (cat 5 wires) to 8 data jacks in the office. We moved to new office and this is what we had running the server with no problems at the old office. This office is a tad smaller, I would like to know what functions these items have and why they are needed #’s 1-5. All the PC’S are Window’s also.

I have am somewhat technology able, but I do not know much about servers. I do not know how to hook this up at the new office. Some one please help me and explain in detail. Also if there is something that is not needed let me know as well, because here since there are only 8 jacks I do not think we need (2) “Dell, Power Connect 2216” and I am so confused because I thought the “SonicWall” was a router, but what why was the “Cisco 2800 Series Integrated Services Routers…” needed as well?

The way I was thinking of connecting the system up is…
    DSL MODEM → CISCO 2800 → DELL POWER CONNECT → SERVER 1&2 + SWITCH BOARD (on wall- for wall jacks) and how do I setup give the server the new static ip (I already have it along with, dns) I am so lost you all Please help me.

I was trying to give temp internet at minimum until I learn how to properly setup the network. So today in preparation for tomorrow morning I plugged MODEM → DELL POWER CONNECT → SWITCH BOARD (on wall). I kept running into a tonight though, When I would trying connect more than 3-4 connections then I could not get data out anything, but if I would remove some connections and retry, then the internet would work. Also I have the two Dell Power Connects' patched, I don't know if that is needed or not I just read it on the dell website. I am so lost, so confused I can't even get temp internet and we need internet to our servers for sure tomorrow.

Please and thank you all for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

1. Wrong forum.
    2. Get a professional to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Moved to S&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Seriously get a professional in. Why are you doing this job?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

+1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

+1

If you haven't the experience with servers you probably won't have the skills to configure your network correctly. Do you have a contract with the installer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Please get a professional to help, it's likely you will do more damage than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Please get a professional to help, it's likely you will do more damage than good.

+ 1 , you will do more damage than good.
    Get an IT guy to do it after work for you - should be handy.

Advertisement