Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor for buying a home can you recommend one?

Options
  • 06-06-2011 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Currently in the process of buying my first house could anyone recommend a solicitor which charges a reasonable fee? Anyone around the D15 or D7 areas? Also how much would you expect to pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can we keep this thread to recommendations? Please provide some sort of back up for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I used one who I wont name but was a nightmare so I would recommend (quite highly)

Name: Muldowney Counihan & Co
    Categories: Solicitors
    Address: U3 Cloncourt Main St, Clonee, Co. Dublin
    Phone: (01) 8255863

I used these for my last home sale and they were great, just above the Chinese restaurant in CLonee.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭zyndacyclone

I'm also looking for one, Dublin South or City Center. I'm looking for honesty, speed, don't so much care about cost though I'm not eager to get over charged.

I'd also REALLY like to know if you have had experience with someone who was AWFUL so that I can avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Anyone else on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I dont think we can name the bad ones without proof, (legalities and that) but with regards to city centre, I worked as a legal secretary whilst in college and shortly after leaving, the company was Maurice Lyons on Parnell Square, there was a lady called Deirdre Tobin heading the property section although she is not there anymore the company would be the only recommendation I could give regards citycentre. My dad has used them for years and Deirdre actually represented the people buying my last house, everything with that sale went perfectly smooth and papers were signed and keys transferred a week earlier than expected, I used Counihans as above.

Turbo, Counihans were recommended to me by my estate agent as I was disappointed with the previous solicitor. I have had reason to deal with them once since then and I have to say they were fantastic. I wont mention the previous one here but there were a couple of small issues with my first purchase and then a really big one with my second. The bigger issue was with regards to stamp duty, I received a call not long after completeing the sale and just before I paid for a new kitchen asking me for 3k that they had undercharged me for stamp duty, I was given 2 days to pay this as they were going on their christmas break. About 4 yrs later I received a call again from them telling me that during audit it was found that they overcharged me the 3k and needed to return it to me, have to say it was nice to get an unexpected cheque but I was fuming because of how they dealt with the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 The Good Agent

Currently in the process of buying my first house could anyone recommend a solicitor which charges a reasonable fee? Anyone around the D15 or D7 areas? Also how much would you expect to pay?

No names come to mind that you should avoid, but I can recommend John Gleeson at Access Legal. He can be contacted at www.accesslegal.com. We have used them in the past and found them to be very helpful, professional and reasonably priced.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I used John Waters Solicitors for buying my last house.

6 Exchequer st Dublin 2
    (01)6776802

Very happy with them and they were great to iron out some niggles on the opposite side when buying.

Advertisement