Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any way for Sky in Apartment, UPC Suck!

• 06-06-2011 11:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Im trying to get sky into my duplex, its a ground floor duplex i live in. My management company insist that i cannot. Im renting there and the landlord obviously signed an aggreement not to get a dish. But i thought this law changed? And what makes it more ridiculous is the housing estate on my actual road, they all have dishes, they dont fall under a management contract, but they are literally 25ft away.

The reason i want sky is their 3d, proper HD services and just a much better selection of channels. Ive personally had nothing but issues with UPC. The box i have keeps crashing. It randomly picks stations when you are browsing through the channels and if you browes for too long it changes the channel back to the UPC advertisment channell 100. I hate upc. Is there any way around this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Tarquin1970

andre2010 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Im trying to get sky into my duplex, its a ground floor duplex i live in. My management company insist that i cannot. Im renting there and the landlord obviously signed an aggreement not to get a dish. But i thought this law changed? And what makes it more ridiculous is the housing estate on my actual road, they all have dishes, they dont fall under a management contract, but they are literally 25ft away.

The reason i want sky is their 3d, proper HD services and just a much better selection of channels. Ive personally had nothing but issues with UPC. The box i have keeps crashing. It randomly picks stations when you are browsing through the channels and if you browes for too long it changes the channel back to the UPC advertisment channell 100. I hate upc. Is there any way around this.

Move 25ft down the road?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭andre2010

Move 25ft down the road?

Apart from that really helpful advise, anyone know of anything else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Probably you'd be better off asking in the accommodation forum.

This thread would seem to indicate you don't have a lot of choice.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71033356

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If you have a clear line of sight to the south east maybe you could install a dish discreetly at ground level-they don't have to be mounted at a height to get reception so long as the have a clear line of sight to the satellite.I've seen this done before with a few well placed shrubs and flower pots at either side of the dish to hide it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

zerks wrote: »
    If you have a clear line of sight to the south east maybe you could install a dish discreetly at ground level-they don't have to be mounted at a height to get reception so long as the have a clear line of sight to the satellite.I've seen this done before with a few well placed shrubs and flower pots at either side of the dish to hide it.

But I don't think you'd have to hide it? I thought the idea was they didn't rent you the outside wall so you weren't entitled to install things on it. If you just put it on the ground that you're renting I don't see what they can do about it, visible or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

You could try asking the management company to look into the shared dish option: http://www.sky.com/ireland/boxes/skyinyourapartment/

Not sure how well it works, but I know a few apartment complexes have had it installed this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭homelink

Reg_hurley wrote: »
    You could try asking the management company to look into the shared dish option: http://www.sky.com/ireland/boxes/skyinyourapartment/

Not sure how well it works, but I know a few apartment complexes have had it installed this year.
    Works perfectly well. They have fibre optic communal systems in hundreds of apartment blocks all over the country. Get on to your management Co. and ask them to arrange a survey from Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The only thing is, I think you can't use the system just for the free to air channels, you'll only be able to access the system if you take out a sky subscription.

A satellite installer hired directly by the management co. could do similar work and there wouldn't be restrictions on how customers use it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

homelink wrote: »
    Works perfectly well. They have fibre optic communal systems in hundreds of apartment blocks all over the country. Get on to your management Co. and ask them to arrange a survey from Sky.

People renting deal with their landlord, not the property management agent. Owners make decisions as part of a management company on services.

What you are proposing would ensure ALL TENANTS have no option but pay up to a pay only sevices if they want TV. I hope that is not the current scenario with UPC being the only show in town.

That would be a bad move. Most people cant pay their damn management fees nevermind pay TV. Do not allow exclusive pay only services into your complex if you are an owner. The NCA/Competition Authority have enough on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

you can get sky through your xbox live connections , no need for a dish at all ! you should check it out

• Advertisement

On a vaguely related note, it's a shame a distribution system for at least the terrestrial channels on an aerial is not compulsory for any apartment block built. I've only ever seen being provided in a small minority of flats that I've viewed.

STB wrote: »
    People renting deal with their landlord, not the property management agent. Owners make decisions as part of a management company on services.

What you are proposing would ensure ALL TENANTS have no option but pay up to a pay only sevices if they want TV. I hope that is not the current scenario with UPC being the only show in town.

That would be a bad move. Most people cant pay their damn management fees nevermind pay TV. Do not allow exclusive pay only services into your complex if you are an owner. The NCA/Competition Authority have enough on their hands.

No, your wrong there. As far as I know, Sky will install the shared equipment for free. They just need the go ahead from the management company.
    Tenants can request this from the Management Company Agent, Although owners will have the final say whether it goes ahead or not.
    Individual apartments can then sign up/or not to Sky subscription packages if they wish.
    Probably a better move as it will give an option of SKY or UPC........

They can't use the communal dish if they don't take out a Sky subscription though.

They can't use the communal dish if they don't take out a Sky subscription though.
    Agreed, but the OP wants to get Sky.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

True, but you can cancel Sky after the first 12 months and continue to use it for FTA.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

To be honest, this thread really belongs in Satellite.

Moderators, they are like buses no ?
    Reg_hurley wrote: »
    No, your wrong there. As far as I know, Sky will install the shared equipment for free. They just need the go ahead from the management company.
    Tenants can request this from the Management Company, Although owners will have the final say whether it goes ahead or not.
    Individual apartments can then sign up/or not to Sky subscription packages if they wish.
    Probably a better move as it will give an option of SKY or UPC........

No. I am not.

Like I said, Management companies are made up of the owners. The management agent manages the day to day paying of bills etc. As TV is a service a decision is made at management company director level as to what service will be allowed. Tenants DO NOT have any say or contact with the management company. The do with their landlord. But one landlord cannot make a call on essential services using common areas, that is up to the management company as a whole and normally managed by the directors and committee.

Individual tenants/owner occupiers can get sky boxes in if the infrastructure ie shared communal dish is in situ already. Most properly run complexes have a free to air system whereby the wiring and connections are already in place for 28.2 and UHF split out at the connection points in the apartment, and then IF someone wants a Sky box they get onto Sky and the only place that engineer will be is that individuals apartment.

Hence, a scenario whereby exclusive contacts are not given to third party pay only TV services. (ask the NCA and competition authority)

I know because I have been there and fought against people trying to get their foor in the door looking for exclusive pay only deals. Nothing surprises me anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

what about something like this, its expensive but it would get around the issue of putting a dish on the wall and they cant way it looks like one http://www.digicams-uk.com/prod30.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 14 irishgunner1

eimear10 wrote: »
    you can get sky through your xbox live connections , no need for a dish at all ! you should check it out
    its only a limited service really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

No. I am not.

Like I said, Management companies are made up of the owners. The management agent manages the day to day paying of bills etc. As TV is a service a decision is made at management company director level as to what service will be allowed. Tenants DO NOT have any say or contact with the management company. The do with their landlord. But one landlord cannot make a call on essential services using common areas, that is up to the management company as a whole and normally managed by the directors and committee.

Individual tenants/owner occupiers can get sky boxes in if the infrastructure ie shared communal dish is in situ already. Most properly run complexes have a free to air system whereby the wiring and connections are already in place for 28.2 and UHF split out at the connection points in the apartment, and then IF someone wants a Sky box they get onto Sky and the only place that engineer will be is that individuals apartment.

Hence, a scenario whereby exclusive contacts are not given to third party pay only TV services. (ask the NCA and competition authority)

I know because I have been there and fought against people trying to get their foor in the door looking for exclusive pay only deals. Nothing surprises me anymore.
    not where i am,stuck with magnet who are only one allowed :mad:

• Advertisement

delw wrote: »
    not where i am,stuck with magnet who are only one allowed :mad:

Says whom ?

If you are an owner and you have enough likeminded owners get in touch with the managemnt committee.

In scenarios where the developer is still in control of the company and doesnt want to know..... www.tca.ie from recollection they investigated this area and decided that this year 2011 is the expiry for any "developer deals" done pre-construction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭fj1200

MacGyver wrote: »
    what about something like this, its expensive but it would get around the issue of putting a dish on the wall and they cant way it looks like one http://www.digicams-uk.com/prod30.htm

Another expensive option- http://www.southernsat.co.uk/cart/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1345 -but would be perfect for apartment balconies.

No. I am not.

Sorry, I corrected my post just now. I should have said "Tenants can request this from the Management Agent".
    The management company should be monitoring the type of calls logged.

Anyways.....If the OP wants Sky, I think he should be contacting his landlord and the management agent requesting they investigate Sky's shared disk option.

Advertisement