Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparatives.....again :P

• 06-06-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

So, I have my comparatives done! But not sure if theyre good enough. Heres a general outline so people can tell me if ive done it right?

1. Theme and Issue

Theme is love/relationships.

A) Parent and Child

I described the relationships of a parent and child from each text, and said how it developed.

B) Siblings

I described sibling conflicts and how they were resolved in each text.

C) Love relationships

I described love at first sight and compared different characters from each text
    I then described unrequited love throughout the different characters and texts
    Then , geniune love.

Conclusion.

And only got 45/70 :(

Cultural context:

Introduction etc

1) All different backgrounds
    2) Social class & power
    3) Role of women
    4) Magic eg Text c differs from text a and b with Magic playing a dominant role in this society

Advice anyone???:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Please please please :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

What texts are you studying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

I don't think 3 paragraphs will be enough for the body of your answer,in theme/issue.

Maybe add a paragraph or two in on stuff like external factors that affect relationships, or, how the relationships are at the end of texts.
    Then just tie your conclusion back to what the questions asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Did you reference the text? As in "In Chapter 22/In scene 3/In the 38th minute." We were told referencing is expected of you. Did you have any grammatical or spelling mistakes? That would lose you points in Mechanics. If you have a generally high level of English you shouldn't be losing much for Language but if you usually get C's or D's you will be losing marks there. Also how long is your essay? If you dont develop each point enough you will lose some marks. Another thing that I've been prone to do is limit my actual comparisons to a few sentences. I would describe one relationship and then say "this is very different to..." and then describe the next relationship. It's better if you have constant comparison between the texts weaved throughout your piece.

Dr.Evil wrote: »
    What texts are you studying?

As you like it film
    Emma by Jane Austen
    The tempest - shakespeare

• Advertisement

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Did you reference the text? As in "In Chapter 22/In scene 3/In the 38th minute." We were told referencing is expected of you. Did you have any grammatical or spelling mistakes? That would lose you points in Mechanics. If you have a generally high level of English you shouldn't be losing much for Language but if you usually get C's or D's you will be losing marks there. Also how long is your essay? If you dont develop each point enough you will lose some marks. Another thing that I've been prone to do is limit my actual comparisons to a few sentences. I would describe one relationship and then say "this is very different to..." and then describe the next relationship. It's better if you have constant comparison between the texts weaved throughout your piece.

I didnt reference to any chapters :eek: WTF we werent told that!

My essay was like a zillion pages! About 6-7 Id say!

I like the "This is very different to..." Will use!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/2190960/LIST-OF-TRANSITIONAL-WORDS-FOR-WRITING-ESSAYS

I just had a brief look at the start of this but the first two subsections of the document have some good comparative words that would be excellent for weaving throughout your piece. Have a look through and see if it's of any use to you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    And only got 45/70 :(

What was the question?
    Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Did you reference the text? As in "In Chapter 22/In scene 3/In the 38th minute." We were told referencing is expected of you.

You DO NOT need exact referencing like that. No examiner is going to know or check the minute, chapter or scene of every one of the 33 texts on the comparative lists.

The most important thing you need to do on the comparative essay is answer the question. It doesn't matter what the texts are, how well you compare, how long the essay is or how perfect your spelling and grammar is, you're wasting your time if you don't refer to the title in each paragraph.

Advertisement