Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Slow to load video

• 06-06-2011 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I'm on a 30mb connection and get speeds anywhere from 27mb to about 29mb. It is very fast loading websites but when it comes to online video, it is just horrible. It takes around 10 seconds to load an 18 second video on YouTube, it does not speed up throughout the day, does anyone know why?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Having same problem. 20Mb UPC in Kildare.
    Most of the time I have to pause the video and wait 2 minutes for it to buffer at least 1 third of the video.
    Maybe UPC throttle video streaming ? But this is abit ridiculous...
    Firewall and AV off, can ping youtube fine and tracert delay per hop is less than 20ms.

Thinking about phoning UPC, not much more I can do my end.
    Unless anyone has any suggestions !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Could be your web browser also, Have you tried a different browser ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭cml387

Sometimes i think the problem is with Youtube rather than UPC.
    I have the same issue this morning,but it's usually pretty good and I'm with UPC too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Tried different browsers, its not just youtube its all video streaming sites.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭RVP11

Yeah I'm in Kildare too and its not a browser problem, I've tried most; Safari, Firefox, IE, Chrome...

I was also thinking about phoning, its getting ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 CelticGibson

In Kildare also. On 30Mb package and have had download speeds of 1.29 mega bits per second. That's 30 times slower. It seems to be a national problem. There is another thread on this called "UPC acting wierd", check it out.

1328818460.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Home Theatre

This seems to a similar problem to what is reported in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I've been with UPC for over a year and generally it has been super-fast. However youtube seems to act up a lot, something the video just won't load. I find clicking ahead in the progress bar a little bit makes it load up. It's very strange, it either loads up lightning fast or not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

I get the exact same on my 30 meg package, I changed over about a year ago from eircom, streaming youtube or vimeo vidoes was grand on eircom but I noticed a dramatic slowdown on UPC, I would have to leave it for ages or click ahead a few seconds, I have tried this on three different browsers but it made no difference, changed DNS Servers as well, no change, UPC is much quicker at all other downloads,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I've always had issues with youtube. From my O2 midband, to my eircom DSL, to my BT business package to my UPC 15mb, 20mb, 30mb and 100mb. And on other peoples connections too. I'm convinced its either an issue with youtube, or some kind of peering/route/DNS issue from Ireland. Certainly not a speed issue, and certainly not confined to one ISP. Also, doesn't seem to be an issue with Flash (if you're not using the HTML5 trial) as other streaming applications seem to work fine (vimeo for example).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I don't think its a youtube problem I have no issues using eircom,utv And Tesco Mobile 3G seems more like a UPC problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭cml387

jay93 wrote: »
    I don't think its a youtube problem I have no issues using eircom,utv And Tesco Mobile 3G seems more like a UPC problem.

Youtube is still stopping and starting,but RTE player seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Try using a different browser and connecting your computer directly to the modem rather than using the wireless connection if you can, that will always help.

Shouldn't be taking that long though so if neither of those work then ring upc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

This seems to a similar problem to what is reported in this thread.

Let me re-post that so that you can see it.
    There is a problem with UPC's backbone connection to the outside of Ireland. Which is why Youtube performance sucks and RTE player is fine. Read the discussion on that other thread and contribute by stating (there, no here) your location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pokertony28

hey im having serious problems on 30mb connection and can only get 1,2mb download speed called upc 3 times said every ting is fine on there end . since 30mb came in i allways got 3,8mb a sec not it takes ages download atin b4 use b few mins are they throtling our connections an not telling us its not right we pay for fast speed and it way to slow

Advertisement