Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cultural Context - Hamlet, The Plough and the Stars and Casablanca

• 06-06-2011 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

I was hoping someone could help with Cultural Context for these three texts. I have studied "Themes" using the Theme of Love/Relationships.

My English teacher was useless, he thought writing up an answer to one past question would cover us and we'd all learn from the hundreds of pages of notes he gave us that were on Hamlet and two different texts.

From posts, I have seen that you can structure the answer under certain aspects/key moments, but to be honest,I don't know where to start in terms of what aspects and what key moments.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Gavarn

Surely someone can help :P Kinda getting a bit late now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 HandsomeDevil

The cultural context is the world/culture of the text.

Example
    Family:What types of family are they? What sort of relationships exist within the family?

Values:What values/principles are important in the text? Is friendship and respect valued? Are people liberal and tolerant or are they narrow minded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 arboroia

A Cultural Context is the value system of the society in which the story takes place.

The cultural context can be defined by a number of factors, including but not limited to:
    1. Influence of Religion
    2. The Existence and form of a Class System
    3. The Role of Men & Women
    4. Historical Time Period

Just try to expand your texts for the above headings. (and learn quotes for them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Teacher really F**ked you over giving them texts as comparative.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I've Hamlet, A Dolls House and The Constant Gardener as comparative texts and NO notes at all :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 babiiboo

Gavarn wrote: »
    I was hoping someone could help with Cultural Context for these three texts. I have studied "Themes" using the Theme of Love/Relationships.

My English teacher was useless, he thought writing up an answer to one past question would cover us and we'd all learn from the hundreds of pages of notes he gave us that were on Hamlet and two different texts.

From posts, I have seen that you can structure the answer under certain aspects/key moments, but to be honest,I don't know where to start in terms of what aspects and what key moments.

Any help would be appreciated!

short and simple facts i hope this will help

casablanca: society is completely disheveled, corrupt, everyone puts themself first, no moral values. women are looked after and generally looked on as equal

plough & the stars: more moral and religious values and people do look after each other but some immoral things are done for survival in the war. women can hold some kind of responsibility and think for themselves rather than be told what to do

Advertisement