Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help building a PC? (NO experience/knowledge)

Options
  • 06-06-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hello,
    I've been doing a bit of research in regards to building a new PC. I honestly have no knowledge about Nvidia vs ATI, Intel vs AMD, or what all the numbers mean after graphics cards (Geforce 5790, Radeon XXXX) and all that. I don't even know my own budget as of yet but I'll probably be going with an AMD build(are they the budget ones?). I can tell you I already have 4GB of RAM and a decent monitor so I will not need to purchase those. I would love to be able to play Crisis on high settings (not anything to do with this game in particular,it's just that it will be a good pc)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Well you might have to purchase new RAM as well, as there are a couple of types (DDR2 and DDR3 mainly), and if you have the former, that might restrict you choices and not be the best value for money.

How-and-ever, we'll need a budget before we can do anything. Also, what size and resolution is the monitor? (i.e. 22" 1680x1050, 19" 1024x768, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DaleHyland

I have DDR2 RAM. the monitors resultion is 19'' 1360 x 768. Its a LG Flatron W1941s . (So Im presuming I don't need the most amazing graphics card) What would I get myself for 500 -700 quid? It's a question Im just throwing out to see what I can get for it.

You could always buy something like this, minus the monitor.

I'm not too familiar with AMD's offerings, and what fits best in the price range.

It might be helpful if you posted your full system specs, as well as your OS (if reusable)

I'm sorry for my complete lack of information but here goes.

Processor: Intel Celeron Duo E1400 @ 2.00 GHz.
    Ram: 4GB DDR2 Frequency (333.33 Mhz) (if that means anything important)
    Motherboard: Packard Bell MCP73VT-PM
    Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 7050/nForce 610i
    OS:Windows Vista 32-bit (it came with the computer so I'm unsure if it's reuseable.
    HDD: 160 GB Hitachi Something.

Alright, that helps. Do you still have the CDs and stuff that came with the computer? One of those should be a Vista disk. While you're at it, see if the Vista disk says anything about 64-bit. Hopefully it's not 32-bit only*.

* 32-bit OSs can only use 4GB of RAM, but this includes everything. First the graphics card gets give some - maybe 512MB or 1GB or something - then the wireless card, or sound card, or whatever else needs it, then the system RAM gets assigned what's left, meaning you might only have 2.5-3GB usable system memory.

I have to run to PC World to get something replaced, but I'll help you out with specs and parts when I get back.

• Advertisement

It's 32-bit . I have the recovery discs but that's it. Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

You'll want to get a 64bit OS...AAnd try stay well clear of Vista anyway.

With your budget of 500-700 you might just get a Intel i5 build (At the top end of your budget though)

As far as I know, AM3 Motherboards don't take DDR2 ram, but AM2+ (Little outdated) do take DDR2.

You would be as well off selling the current system off on adverts I think. (Apart from the monitor etc) Doesn't seem like much of it could be used.

Thanks for your insight Mister Man. Yeah Ill probably sell it. I posted the specs onto the "how much is it worth?" thread and they said I'd get 250 if I was lucky. THat's a bit much isint it?

Seems a little much to me, but people on Adverts really pay rock bottom for stuff. Stick it on Adverts for €250 and see what you get. You might get €200 for it. €900, and we can build you a nice system. :P

I'd tend to agree with the Man; your system is a little too outdated to do much with. Better of selling it and picking up an i3/i5 Intel build. It's the best option price-wise at the moment, and even AMD's new stuff, by all accounts, sucks balls.

I'll have to green light this whole thing with my Dad yet. So we mustn't get carried away. At the moment my budget is 130 euro. I can find another 100 but I might have to sell all my gaming stuff to afford this. So would you mind having a look at a pc build for 500-700. I would appreciate it greatly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement