Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many poets did you actually study?

• 06-06-2011 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Everyone says do 5, but I don't know that many people who actually are...

How many poets? 62 votes

0% 0 votes
    4% 3 votes
    20% 13 votes
    38% 24 votes
    11% 7 votes
    6+
    24% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Framble wrote: »
    Everyone says do 5, but I don't know that many people who actually are...

I know three really well, and I intend on cramming two!!

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

what.to.do wrote: »
    I know three really well, and I intend on cramming two!!

Also studied 3 well. I know Boland ok but I'd say it will be a bi*ch of a question if she comes up at all! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

zero isn't a choice? :rolleyes:

I haven't got round to that yet.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I've studied five. There's no way I'd be able to calmly enter the exam without knowing that there was definitely
    going to be a poet I've studied on the paper.

I don't believe in the whole learning off essays and stuff though. I just have a number of quotes for each poem and I know the main idea behind the poem. After that, I just come up with the rest in the exam and I usually get almost full marks. There's no way I could be bothered learning off essays for every possible topic like some people are doing.

Also studied 3 well. I know Boland ok but I'd say it will be a bi*ch of a question if she comes up at all! :pac:

It bloody will be, won't it?
    Shame, there's a lot to write on her poetry, when the question is nice. What ever happened to those wonderful days of "Write a personal response to the poetry of this poet." "Do you like such a poet?".

OH WELL.
    'tis only the Leaving, sure!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I know 4 very well and have a 5 as a save me.
    Boland, Dickinson, Frost, Wordsworth, and Kavanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Wordsworth and Frost for me..
    would prefer wordsworth though!
    tried boland.. hated her.. dickinson is messed up and i couldnt be arsed with yeats..

Wordsworth hasnt been on the new course yet and isnt up next year..
    *fingers crossed*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Did frost boland kavanagh and yeats hope rich dosent come up and none of the other 4!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Well I am going doing Dickinson, boland and Hopkins as my three but I might skim over frost as a back up....

I should really start! So screwed for paper 2!!!! :(

We're always told not to waffle..but that is the only reason i did well in JC English, so feck it, waffles for everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I know Kavanagh and Frost.

I vaguely know Yeats, Boland and I'm beginning to become familiar with Dickinson. Bit late now, I suppose.

In all honesty, I haven't studied any of them recently bar looking at Boland and Dickinson answers. But I've been competent at doing Frost and Kavanagh for a while so a tiny refresh the night before should be ok. I hope it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I know Dickinson and Boland. :/

Guarantee you if Boland comes up it's going to be a b*ollox of a question to do with mythological or domestic issues which arise from the poetry of Boland. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

I studied 3 last year, being Boland, Yeats and Kavanagh. Got a choice on the day between Yeats and Kavanagh. Chose Yeats. Happy out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I know Dickinson and Boland. :/

Guarantee you if Boland comes up it's going to be a b*ollox of a question to do with mythological or domestic issues which arise from the poetry of Boland. :rolleyes:

Write a newspaper article discussing the use of mythological allusion and domestic imagery in the poetry of Eavan Boland.

or

Write a letter to Eavan Boland expressing your views on her poetry paying particular attention to her use of mythological allusion and domestic imagery to communicate her message.

If there's an Eavan Boland question this year, I wouldn't be surprised if it was something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Yeah Buddy

I have Boland and Frost done very well. Kavanagh I know fairly well anyway, he's my favourite poet on the course by far but I'm not too hopeful about him being on this year. I have kinda done Yeats, I have enough to get me through an essay on him like, but I'll need to go over the quotes again before Thursday. Same with Dickinson, but she's my last resort, hate her with a passion!

Write a newspaper article discussing the use of mythological allusion and domestic imagery in the poetry of Eavan Boland.

or

Write a letter to Eavan Boland expressing your views on her poetry paying particular attention to her use of mythological allusion and domestic imagery to communicate her message.

If there's an Eavan Boland question this year, I wouldn't be surprised if it was something along those lines.

Can they ask for a newspaper article? Wowza, I hope they don't. >_<

I really want Dickinson to come up, if she does not many people will answer her because everyone seems to hate her, but I love her..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Can they ask for a newspaper article? Wowza, I hope they don't. >_<

I really want Dickinson to come up, if she does not many people will answer her because everyone seems to hate her, but I love her..
    They can ask for an answer in any format of their choice. The same goes for Hamlet and the comparative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheRepeat

Did only Boland last year so made sure this year I did five- Boland, Yeats, Kavanagh, Dickinson and Frost. At least I'll have one. Reluctant to think the question on Boland could be anymore difficult than the others. Have to wait and see I suppose :)

They can ask for an answer in any format of their choice. The same goes for Hamlet and the comparative.

Aah yeah my single text is Wuthering Heights which usually has mundane/generic questions so it should be fine!

I just can't wait to go in and get these started now.. It's the waiting that's the worst part. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I studied Boland and Dickinson. I also may study Yeats before the exam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

Dickinson,Hopkins,Rich,Boland
    Hoping for the first two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Iv done 5 but concentrated on 3 really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

I know Dickinson, Frost and Boland really well, as well as knowing Kavanagh and Yeats inside out, but stopped concentrating on them fully as they both came up last year, but I wouldn't say no if they came up again!

Hoping for Dickinson!

Advertisement