Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic wind turbine near ESB line

• 06-06-2011 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, could anyone tell me what are the restrictions on placing a domestic wind turbine tower near an ESB power line.The site I have in mind is approx 7 metres (horizontally) from a single insulated power line which crosses my back garden.
    Obviously I would have to restrict the height of the tower to a length that would not catch the line if it were ever to fall.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

Hi, could anyone tell me what are the restrictions on placing a domestic wind turbine tower near an ESB power line.The site I have in mind is approx 7 metres (horizontally) from a single insulated power line which crosses my back garden.
    Obviously I would have to restrict the height of the tower to a length that would not catch the line if it were ever to fall.Thanks.
    Curiously, last time I looked, there were no guidelines in this respect in the planning exemptions for domestic turbines, but there were for commercial or farm planning exemptions (which allow a taller tower).

In the case of commercial turbines, the distance was 20m. I attach both planning exemption documents. Q

Oops. Wrong attachment on that last post. These are the domestic exemptions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Was just about to post that ^ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 leonardermo

Thanks for that,I couldn't find any reference either including on the ESB Networks site.I guess if the tower and turbine are short enough to clear the wire in a worst case senario plus the fact the wire is insulated then there should be no cause for concern.
    Has anyone come across a home turbine set up that close to ESB wires before?

I'm not sure what the concern is that would affect electricity cables. However, there have been cases of low-quality turbines which lost control and blew to smithereens. That might be the issue that was concerning planners.

Provided you are buying a rugged and well made machine, this shouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 leonardermo

I'm not sure what the concern is that would affect electricity cables. However, there have been cases of low-quality turbines which lost control and blew to smithereens. That might be the issue that was concerning planners.

Provided you are buying a rugged and well made machine, this shouldn't be an issue.
    Thanks for that.The plan is to build a Hugh Piggott style machine, if they're not rugged enough , I don't know what is.

Great. Good luck with the build!

Quentin.

Advertisement