Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organic/non chemical Pest control for Tomatoes

Options
  • 06-06-2011 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone recommend home made or what to buy for pest control on my tomato plants.

Must be non chemical or organic (don't like the thoughts of eating the fruit after spraying them with chemicals:eek:)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

What pests are at your plants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

traditional was tobacco steeped in water to make a spray.
    My Grandpa used to just smoke his pipe in the greenhouse:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What pests are at your plants.

Found an illuminous green caterpillar on there yesterday, plus there were a couple of what looked like red/brown aphids.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

There's an organic garlic spray you can use apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I used this last year to control Greenfly, it killed my Basil plant, but worked on everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I must confess in the 30 years I have been growing tomato's ive never seen anything eating the leafs or unripe fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I don't know if you can get any of these products in your typical garden centre but these are what commercial growers use( with the harvest interval of pesticide application commercial growers often go for organic methods)

Nicotine strips- works in greenhouse were you clothes the windows and doors, lite and get out as fast as you can. Works for whitefly/greenfly

Savona- its an industrial strenght washing up liquid from France for fly. Gives agreat shine to the tomato plants too :)

Citrus Oil- works on aphids.

Bacillus Thuriniensis- caterpillars
    http://homeharvest.com/bt.htm

Commercial growers also use a range of natural predators to control the population of pests to a managerable level that will not effect the yield. Also growing other plantsin between your plants that will attract predators or release chemicals can also work in a holistic approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

mp22 wrote: »
    I must confess in the 30 years I have been growing tomato's ive never seen anything eating the leafs or unripe fruit.

Caterpillers will eat unriped fruit on tomato plants.

Advertisement