Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Way Radio Recomendations

Options
  • 06-06-2011 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys & Gals,

I'm looking to pick up a set of about 3/4 2 way radios, But I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with the selection and sites & terms that I don't understand.

Could anyone recommend a good set of 2 ways that would have a headset & Mic expandability that could cover a good fair distance especially through walls. (They'll be used by photographers to keep in contact over distances in a venue eg. Gigs, Races etc. So I'd like for them to be able to keep in contact over the large distances and very very thick walls and seating areas.)

I was looking at the likes of the Binatone Action 950's (PMR 446) But would a PMR 446 Radio cover what I need (In terms of quality over distance of about 1k, but through thick walls) Or would I be better off going for a professional range one, (When I was looking at these, I wasn't sure what the story is with licensing, cost of licenses, how to get one, etc. Also where would be the best place to pick them up, and what would be a pretty good one to pick up?)

Thanks a million for helping out a Radio Newbie :)
    -Cillian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

IMO, you need to get the more powerful licensed version and set up a portable transmitter on site.

Hand held PMR radios, even the more powerful ones won't cope with obstacles and they especially don't like thick walls.

Topography at sporting events will effect their performance and at some venues will be perfect and at others nothing.

Someone attached to the Rally Of The Lakes in Killarney, IMO the most difficult event for comms, would set you straight on what's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

How would I get the licence? How much would it cost? And where would the most cost effective place to buy the professional radios be? I know there is RT Communications here in Limerick but they don't have prices on their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

ComReg for the licence info.

And you'd need to give your local shop a call, they don't tend to price sets as they usually charge to set the frequency allocated to you via your licence.

I wouldn't have the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

+1 on RT Communications. Very helpful to us when we neeeded any of our units serviced. Will be returning to them soon to install into new vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Procom in Galway are pretty good also. I am not an employee, nor do I have any affiliation with them, but Rory has done me favours in the past.

• Advertisement
Advertisement