Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bouncer question

Options
  • 06-06-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

Won't mention business names for legal reasons, but you'll get the drift..

There seem to have been a ton of 'barrings' and 'bootings' from three particular pubs that share bouncers back West. Anyone else notice this recently?

Two sound heads (one male one female) recently barred from one recently, and the reason, it seems, was being too slow to respond to moving at the end of the night. I am not talking falling down and non responsive, just moving at 'drunk' pace when the pub was emptying (and still 2/3 of people there).

Just heard a friend's work colleagues got booted for no apparent reason too. The lads booted had tattoos. But this is one of many similar stories I have heard recently. While some are really sound, there are one or two tyrants on these doors. I know it's a tough job, but it's starting to take away regulars business from the venues. Anyone noticed this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Sounds like typical powertrip behaviour; 'cos they can' attitude.

However it is worthy to note that one's perception of one's behaviour when a bit pished may not always mirror the perception of said behaviour by the security staff.

I have an idea to whom you might be referring tho, so I would go with the 'Powertrip' theory.

Pubs and Clubs are apparently struggling nowadays if we are to believe all that we hear and read, surely turfing people out and barring them for no real reason is detrimental to business?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, and perhaps you should have your mates talk to the manager of the pubs? If a certain bouncer gets enough complaints I'm sure they'll be told off or even sacked.

But as Razz says, perception when drunk can be greatly different from what it is when sober.
    Some people, me included, think that as long I have drink in my glass I should be able to stay in the pub. Of course the tired workers of the pub wouldn't agree :D

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

inisboffin wrote: »
    Just heard a friend's work colleagues got booted for no apparent reason too. The lads booted had tattoos. But this is one of many similar stories I have heard recently. While some are really sound, there are one or two tyrants on these doors. I know it's a tough job, but it's starting to take away regulars business from the venues. Anyone noticed this?

Assuming we're talking about the same people, anyone who has that workplace added on facebook will instantly know who they are and what place(s) were involved since they posted about it earlier.

I'm actually really surprised about said place since they're usually sound and the place does attract the alternative scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If it's just a dodgy bouncer than he deserves to be called out for it. But I myself have acted the gobsheen when drunk and not noticed I was doing anything wrong so you should take that into consideration.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

If it's "three particular pubs" is there a policy shift going on, maybe tolerating slightly messier behaviour during 'off' season? Have to say the few times i've been back wesht of late there does seem to be a snobbier(?) attitude involved. I know when i was working there was 'student' and 'tourist' season and there were random people thrown out and/or barred for reasons i couldn't fathom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The bouncers in one of these pubs are very aggressive at the end of the night imo. Giving customers last orders and then immediately ordering people off the premises is a big no no. If you are going to sell me a pint at the end of the night, I'd appreciate some time to drink it. Taking my money then almost immediately having some aggressive bouncer forcing me out the door is ridiculous. Don't be in town too much any more but definitely don't drink in those places anymore, have never been impressed with the attitude of some of the bouncers/bartenders.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ooh nail on head happyoutscan, i detest that, just ordered and paid for pint, lights up, sound off and rudely forced out the door, as for the 'option' of plastic glasses :mad: don't get me started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

PM me the name of the pubs.

I don't want to get caught at the end of a night like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Soun
    However it is worthy to note that one's perception of one's behaviour when a bit pished may not always mirror the perception of said behaviour by the security staff.

You're right of course, but in this particular instance, there were two non-drinkers in the crowd who thought the situation well out of order.
    xo.mary wrote: »
    Assuming we're talking about the same people, anyone who has that workplace added on facebook will instantly know who they are and what place(s) were involved since they posted about it earlier.
    I'm actually really surprised about said place since they're usually sound and the place does attract the alternative scene.

I just checked FB and saw the post you mean a min a go, so yeah, it is them.
    I'm more surprised at one of those pubs than the other though, and the third that wasn't mentioned is where I have heard had problems of late, but they share the same bouncers I believe. One or two stand out as bad apples.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

inisboffin wrote: »
    Soun

You're right of course, but in this particular instance, there were two non-drinkers in the crowd who thought the situation well out of order.

I just checked FB and saw the post you mean a min a go, so yeah, it is them.
    I'm more surprised at one of those pubs than the other though, and the third that wasn't mentioned is where I have heard had problems of late, but they share the same bouncers I believe. One or two stand out as bad apples.
    just saw the FB post and i actually had a similar experience in there about three weeks ago. Got a pint about 5mins before lights came on and then were being dumped out five mins later. I still go in there a fair bit though in spite of it. Never noticed any probs in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Oh please pm me as i really don't want to end up in this situation..
    The odd time I go out .. wouldn't want it to end up like that..

Well we are likely talking about 3 different pubs in this thread. The two mentioned on FB and the one where I have heard of a couple more incidents.

2 are on the same St, one is closer to the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Can someone please pm me the link to the facebook page?

Could i get linked to the facebook page? I'm a curious kitty! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

yeah pm the facebook page

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Someone P.M me too, i go out a good bit so im curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If ya must go drinking in the wild-west ... look out.

Me, I stick to pubs on the east, never had a spot of bother anywhere.

:D

(Only kidding, I do go west sometimes .... just couldn't resist the wild-west dig!)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

There is a particular bouncer that regularly refuses entry to my boyfriend with the excuse that "he has had enough". On every occasion, he has only had a pint or two. On one occasion, this bouncer saw us get out of a taxi, having just arrived in town, stone cold sober. I told him that we had just came into town and hadnt had a drop. I was going to ask for the pub manager, but himself said it was not worth it.

My partner is bemused that this guy has it in for him and reckons that he has him confused with someone else, as there has not been an occasion where they had interaction of any kind. Last night he was on the door as we went in (again, first pub of the night) but maybe he was in a good mood? :confused:

g'wan - PM me, and I will see if its the same one :D

I've replied to any PMs I got guys. Again, we're talking about a couple of different pubs here, so you'd get different answers. Not hard to figure out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Hmmmm...Pm me too please. I have my suspicions. Only really been turned away from one pub and it's only recently. If it's the one I think about I'll gladly complain too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I would also be grateful of a PM naming and shaming the place please!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It's not where I expected...seems like I'm just a drunken mess. back to AA for me!

If you want to know the pub where my friends had issue, you can pm me and I'll reply as I can't keep track of all requests. :) The fb mention is by a business. I still go to all 3 pubs but one less so because of stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

pm sent to the OP!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭chuckliddell

PM please...cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭mitsuko045

Would appreciate a PM with the names of the pubs! Haven't managed to get to any real pub in Galway in the last month or so, so would love to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

I'm just nosey...pm please!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Pool4Life

can i get a pm please and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lukonmaki

can i get a PM too.... thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Anyone who wants a PM, read inisboffin's last post. You PM him first.
    Please don't clog this thread up with PM requests.

Unless discussion and advice takes off again I will lock this.

Advertisement