Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VAT on 2 year old UK car

Options
  • 06-06-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking at importing a 2 year old Audi A4 2.0 tdi S line. I have my eye on a 35000 mile example for nearly 19000 pounds inc. VAT.
    My question is, being an Irish VAT registered business, should the garage be able to sell that car to me less the 20% UK VAT and if not, can i claim that VAT back since it is being exported?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

The garage will have to charge you VAT, so will claim the VAT back from the UK @ 20% and then Charge you VAT @ 21% on their selling price. You will pay VAT either way.

In numbers (keeping it all in sterling)

£15,833 - (£19,000 less VAT @ 20%)

Add some profile (e.g. £667)

£16,500

then VAT @ 21%

£19,965

As a non-VAT registered consumer you cannot claim back VAT within the EU, you have to pay it in some country.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭goodstuff!

Cheers jayok. There's no way of codding the system so?;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You say you are vat regd here. If it was a commercial, you could certainly run the VAT through your business but I dont think that option is available for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

There is no VAT on private cars secondhand. Only on the profit if the seller is a VAT resgistered dealer. I suppode this could be a company disposing of an asset. But pretty sure you will have to pay him the VAT then claim it back from HMC&E after export... if you even can???

Advertisement