Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Redwoods

Options
  • 06-06-2011 4:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭

Any one here know if there are any giant redwood plants for sale anywhere in Ireland,thanks:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I have 2 that I grew from seed - can't remember where I got it, somewhere on the internet...
    I think future forests in cork may have them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Get Cracking

thanks ,il get in contact with them.
    how big are yours now?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I got some from Future Forests.
    Slow enough to get going, but they putting on more growth in recent years.

thanks ,il get in contact with them.
    how big are yours now?:)

They're about 1.5m, 4 years after germinating - but are very potbound (waiting for their permanent home!). Didn't come through the big freeze looking too good, but that's probably down to being in pots too.

How much for these 1.5 metre plants?:)

• Advertisement

How much for these 1.5 metre plants?:)

I'm planting them tomorrow:D

Try getting seed if you can't find plants. They're faster than you'd think. Mine would be bigger by now if I'd have potted them on properly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i managed to get a coastal redwood (different species) to germinate from seeds bought from chiltern seeds in the UK. it's a good five years old, about six feet tall, but i suspect that's due to it being very pot bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

How big will these species ultimately grow in the irish climate? I've a little bit of land left to me by my father when he passed, renting out to a farmer at the moment but my plan is to eventually plant a wood for any kids I might have to enjoy.

i have dawn and caost redwood seeds,trying to germinate them in a glass with wet tissue,to no avail:mad:
    3 weeks now??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Nevore wrote: »
    How big will these species ultimately grow in the irish climate? I've a little bit of land left to me by my father when he passed, renting out to a farmer at the moment but my plan is to eventually plant a wood for any kids I might have to enjoy.

There are some fine mature specimens in Powerscourt demesne that are well worth having a look at. I don't know how tall they are but they are BIG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'll have to take a wander over that way. Only in Blessington myself so it's only down the road. :D

iv been there 2 weeks ago,il stick up a few pics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's one beside russborough house - it was planted on the grave of a racehorse in the mid 19th century. it's to the left of the house as you face it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

there's one beside russborough house - it was planted on the grave of a racehorse in the mid 19th century. it's to the left of the house as you face it.
    that's handy for Blessington.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

i have dawn and caost redwood seeds,trying to germinate them in a glass with wet tissue,to no avail:mad:
    3 weeks now??

Did you buy them or forage for them? If foraged they may need to be chilled in order to break dormancy.

Have a look here for some general tips. They recommend stratification of the seed. For germination you can try laying the seed on damp compost and covering with a thin layer of either compost or sand.

Finally theres one begining to sprout!!!:D

Advertisement