Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baptism in Unitarian Church Stephens Green

Options
  • 06-06-2011 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Just wondering has anyone had their child christened in the Unitarian church in Stephens Green? Im up in the air on wether or not to christen them in catholic church or not. The unitarian church seems to be more a welcome ceremony than anything else but we will probably face the same problems in future with getting them into school as if we had not had them christened at all.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you do not want to get them christened do not. There are plenty of educate together schools and there is going to be an overhaul of primary school system in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We've had very little issue with the whole "needing to be baptised to get into a good scholl thing". Maybe it's a bit smart-arsed but we simply sent the eldest lad to the local protestant school. Smaller class sizes, better work ethic than anything I remember from my Catholic managed education, no worries about communions or confirmations to be made and generally a more inclusive attitude in general.

The Educate Together Schools are gaining traction at a great rate at the moment and show great promise imho. They also have the advantage of a parent-body that are more concerned about their children's' education than the norm.

I'd also be fairly confident that the Catholic stranglehold over the education system will plummet in the next decade. They're simply an irrelevant organisation in a country with less than 10% Catholics (I refuse to consider non-practicing or a-lá-carte "catholics" as adherrants since the church's own dogma wouldn't consider them Catholics either).

Advertisement