Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Servers and Software Licencing

Options
  • 06-06-2011 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Regarding software such as antivirus programs. If you were to set it up on a server that you had connected to multiple computers in order to run scans simultaneously does anyone know how this works in terms of licencing for the product. I haven't done extensive searches but I've had a browse around some of the more popular ones like Norton for business licencing.

Would issues arise if you were using a single licence with your server but to run scans on multiple computers or does anyone know of an anti-virus which offers this type of licencing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. Are you trying to have antivirus software running on a server that scans the workstations?
    Normally you would have a management console on a central server which would manage individual clients. Each of the clients would have antivirus installed (including the server) and that would take up 1 licence each. Examples such as Sophos, Mcafee, Eset etc would all have a central management console which would allow you to push out the antivirus client to machines, set up policies for scanning/updating etc and download the updates centrally before pushing the updates out to the clients.
    Hope that helps a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Kantes

Thanks, I appreciate the quick response.

However I'm wondering not so much for workstations but what if you were doing computer repairs and using a server to manage all the computers rather than working on each individual computer. Is there an Antivirus that offers this sort of server so you could have a standard program that you would use with all computers you're working with as opposed to being reliant on the antivirus already on the computer you're working with?

Sorry if I'm still making this sound confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Kantes wrote: »
    Would issues arise if you were using a single licence with your server but to run scans on multiple computers or does anyone know of an anti-virus which offers this type of licencing?

That would be an Enterprise Licence, which would cost you a lot of money.

What your asking doesn't make very much sense Kantes.

If you have a Anti Virus Server then you need to connect ANY workstation to it by using a Client Licence on that PC\Workstation. You cannot use a Server Product to Scan Workstations for AV.

If you are running a repair shop and the person's AV software has expired. Then install a Free version with thier permission.

Remember running more than one version of AV on a single PC can seriously mess things up. Make sure you only have 1 running at any one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

From what I can see Kantes is probably someone who fixes home computers and wants to just plug the PC into his/her network run scans on the computer from a server thus cleaning a number of PCs at the one time.

Kantes, you will need to uninstall the AV software on the pc to be fixed and install a new one. There is a reason why a client is installed on a pc and that is so that it can scan memory etc.

What you might be able to do is if you had some licenses for a business antivirus scanner then you can set up a centralised admin console that could remotely install the antivirus onto the PCs but this method is really for enterprise networks where a domain is in use i.e. centralised authentication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

i reckon is easier time/cost to remove the internal hard drive,connect it with an adaptor usb to "antivirus server" and run from the server an antivirus / antimalware full scan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Kaspersky and others offer liveCDs which you can use to boot, update definitions and scan the hard drive of the computer.

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208282173

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I really like AVG Live AV, you can log it onto a CD/DVD or USB key.

http://free.avg.com/us-en/226162
    ressem wrote: »
    Kaspersky and others offer liveCDs which you can use to boot, update definitions and scan the hard drive of the computer.

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208282173

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Kantes

Sorry for the extremely delayed reply, thanks for all the advice though I appreciate it.

Advertisement