Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omniplex incorrect terms and conditions (o2 Treats)

Options
  • 06-06-2011 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Omniplex currently have an "offer" with o2 Treats, where they have €4 cinema tickets. The terms and conditions clearly state that these are valid from Monday-Thursday, for all shows.

Turns out that they are only valid from Tuesday-Thursday and non-bank-holiday-Monday's. Instead of fixing their terms and conditions, they are simply refusing to honour their own terms and conditions.

This reflects rather poorly on Omniplex. After spending well over €1000 in their cinemas throughout Ireland, I will not be going there again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I think most people would assume a Monday to Thursday offer would exclude bank holiday Monday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

Im fairly sure any offer like that doesn't include Bank Holiday Mondays

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

sendit wrote: »
    Im fairly sure any offer like that doesn't include Bank Holiday Mondays

I'm sorry to say it like that, but you are wrong. Other offers, for example the Milano offer, do include bank holiday mondays.

Regarding maxer68's post, that is precisely why I read the terms and conditions first.

Omniplex's take on customer service: "The customer is always wrong, even when our own terms and conditions say he is right". The right thing to do would have been to say: Oops, we made a mistake, we will update our terms and conditions. The American's are way ahead of us in customer service.

oh boowoo dont cry over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say it like that, but you are wrong. Other offers, for example the Milano offer, do include bank holiday mondays.

Regarding maxer68's post, that is precisely why I read the terms and conditions first.

Omniplex's take on customer service: "The customer is always wrong, even when our own terms and conditions say he is right". The right thing to do would have been to say: Oops, we made a mistake, we will update our terms and conditions. The American's are way ahead of us in customer service.

To be fair many Cinema offers in the past exclude Weekends and Bank holidays as they are the busiest days cinemas generally have. To say other posters are wrong is silly. The milano offer is not the same as the Ominplex offer.

If you read the 02 treats website it clearly tells you the offers are subject to the terms and conditions of the companies giving the offer. So in this instance the cinema have every right to say no on a bank holiday regardless of what the O2 thing says. Im sure the cinema have it buried in their terms somewhere.

Besides common sense knows cinemas never offer decent deals on weekends and bank holidays.

• Advertisement

oh boowoo dont cry over it

sendit, why should I cry when you are wrong?

tallaghtoutlaws, that is precisely why I read the terms and conditions. I wanted to make absolutely sure. If it's too difficult for Omniplex to follow their very own terms and conditions, people should go elsewhere instead. It isn't like they're the only cinema chain in the country.

The problem here is that Omniplex are not following their own terms and conditions, and have thus far not even corrected their own terms and conditions. They have had this offer for many months, as far as I know, so they have had months to fix it.

maxer68 wrote: »
    I think most people would assume a Monday to Thursday offer would exclude bank holiday Monday.

When I buy something or sign up for a service, I don't assume things. I read the terms and conditions, because assumptions can (and often are!) incorrect. If you made a mistake at work, would you tell your boss: "I assumed..."?

And as far as cinemas being busier at weekends, I am sure the same applies to restaurants and many other businesses as well. It would also have been wrong to assume anything because, for example, some cinemas offer student discounts at weekends, while others don't.

I would encourage people to read the terms and conditions before signing up for something, instead of making assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Omniplex's take on customer service: "The customer is always wrong, even when our own terms and conditions say he is right".
    Yeah that looks like crying over spilled milk to me.

You could easily go on one of the other monday-thursdays in the month for €4, god forbid you wouldn't be able to avail of €3 or €4 off for one day every 6 or 7 weeks.

And no, anyone objecting to it is not wrong. My own local cinema excludes special ticket offers on bank holiday mondays. It's a very common and standard condition for many offers.

You clearly didn't avail of the offer, or get a ticket from Omniplex in the end anyway, so I don't really see the need for coming here to complain about it. A simple "You can't avail of the offer on Bank Holiday Mondays" would have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Omniplex currently have an "offer" with o2 Treats, where they have €4 cinema tickets. The terms and conditions clearly state that these are valid from Monday-Thursday, for all shows.

Now thats not true is it? The terms and conditions do not say €4 for all shows. They exclude VIP seating and Premium screenings and there is an additional charge for 3D films. They also clearly state 'The cinema’s standard terms and conditions of purchase, sale and entry apply'...did you read the cinemas terms and conditions? Fine print is everything.

• Advertisement

MitchKoobski, I think you have missed the point: it is up to any cinema to have any terms and conditions that they like. I, and I suspect no one else, has a problem with that. The problem here is that they are disregarding their very own terms and conditions, which they wrote, and which state that the offer is valid for all Monday-Thursday and all shows.

I have no problem with them excluding bank holiday mondays. I do have a problem with them saying they are included in their terms and conditions, but when you arrive at the cinema the story having changed. That is a very unprofessional way to run a business. Their excuse was that it's okay because they have a sign up saying that the management reserves the right to refuse admission. Perhaps the little corner store who had to pay a €1000 fine because they overcharged someone accidentally by a few cents for a loaf of toast due to a genuine error should have used that defense.

For what it's worth, I ended up taking my business elsewhere, as this is simply unacceptable behaviour. They tried to overcharge me by €10.

ztoical wrote: »
    Now thats not true is it? The terms and conditions do not say €4 for all shows. They exclude VIP seating and Premium screenings and there is an additional charge for 3D films. They also clearly state 'The cinema’s standard terms and conditions of purchase, sale and entry apply'...did you read the cinemas terms and conditions? Fine print is everything.

Special/VIP seating is excluded, but that's not the issue here.

I have to ask, what ticket were you buying that would see them overcharge you by €14!?

And it's not all shows, 3D shows are excluded as their is an additional charge.

Special/VIP seating is excluded, but that's not the issue here.

He also asked you if you read there standered T&C so did you?

sendit, why should I cry when you are wrong?

Seems like your crying over it to me

I have to ask, what ticket were you buying that would see them overcharge you by €14!?

Was just about to ask the same thing

The terms and conditions actually state that the offer is valid for "all shows" (their wording, not mine), which is a bit misleading, but at least they later state that it there is a €2 surcharge for 3D shows. So that's fine.

All of this is irrelevant to my complaint though, because I was going to a standard 2D show. For 2 tickets, it would have been €8. They attempted to charge is €18 though, which is an extra €10.

Seems like your crying over it to me

It seems like you are sad that you were wrong about something. It's okay, everyone makes mistakes. No one will hold it against you.

He also asked you if you read there standered T&C so did you?

I read both the offer as well as the full terms and conditions, which are the only terms and conditions that are accessible. They very clearly are not excluding bank holiday mondays, which they could easily do if they wanted to. They are also using the terminology "all shows", which is a bit misleading, but at least they later qualify that by defining "all shows" as excluding VIP and €2 surcharge for 3D. That's perhaps a bit misleading, but as long as you carefully read the fine print I don't have a problem with that. I also read all the terms and conditions that the cinema staff were able to produce.

I am starting to think Omniplex are doing this on purpose. It reminds me about how the banks secretly put on extra charges onto peoples bank statements.

This offer will be available 1st May 2010. A new code will be made available through O2 Treats each week. To avail of this offer you must have the most recent issued and valid code.
    The offer is valid Monday to Thursday for all shows in Omniplex cinema LOCATION in the Republic of Ireland.
    The offer is only valid on production of a valid O2 Treats code. Not available with any other offer.
    One offer per customer per screen.
    This offer will not be applicable to ‘Premium screenings’ (for the purpose of clarity, premium screenings are e.g. World Cup screenings, Opera screenings etc.) and other private screenings. The offer is not applicable to VIP seating and an additional €2 surcharge is required for 3D films (where normal pricing also incurs a surcharge).
    This will be charged to the customer at point of sale.
    The customer will be responsible for paying the ticket price of €4.
    This offer is subject to seat availability. Redemption does not guarantee admission.
    The cinema’s standard terms and conditions of purchase, sale and entry apply.
    Codes requested on the mobile application and mobile internet must be shown to staff on mobile device - codes written down on paper will not be accepted.
    Unless both of ye had a code each and paid separately, you weren't gonna get two tickets for €8. My guess is that you weren't able to claim the offer because you were asking for two tickets, and the offer only permits one per customer per screen.

• Advertisement

It seems like you are sad that you were wrong about something. It's okay, everyone makes mistakes. No one will hold it against you.
    Someone is sad hear but it ant me....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@ All Posters Cut it out. If you want to argue with each other, take it to PM.

OP - I haven't read the standard T&Cs from Omniplex, but I would imagine that Bank Holidays Mondays are not treated like regular Mondays. I would assume that regular Sunday pricing would apply.

Unless both of ye had a code each and paid separately, you weren't gonna get two tickets for €8. My guess is that you weren't able to claim the offer because you were asking for two tickets, and the offer only permits one per customer per screen.

No answer this then Matt Bauer do you? Funny how when someone is proven wrong they have noting to say:pac:

No answer this then Matt Bauer do you? Funny how when someone is proven wrong they have noting to say:pac:

Sorry, but you are wrong again. For what it's worth, both of us had the offer. You're just a little upset because you got everything wrong so far.

dudara wrote: »
    @ All Posters Cut it out. If you want to argue with each other, take it to PM.

OP - I haven't read the standard T&Cs from Omniplex, but I would imagine that Bank Holidays Mondays are not treated like regular Mondays. I would assume that regular Sunday pricing would apply.

The problem is that their terms and conditions say all Monday-Thursdays, and do not exclude bank holidays at all. They even say "all shows", even though they charge extra for 3D shows. But I don't have a problem with that, because at least they mention lower down in the terms and conditions that by "all shows" they mean there is a surcharge of €2 for 3D shows.

I don't have any problem with that. The only problem I have is that they say all Monday's are included, they do not exclude bank holiday Monday's, and they are not following their own T&Cs.

We both had the offer, it had nothing to do with that at all.

Sorry, but you are wrong again. For what it's worth, both of us had the offer. You're just a little upset because you got everything wrong so far.

Its funny you never said that when you said they over charged you and only said it once someone pionted it out..

Its funny you never said that when you said they over charged you and only said it once someone pionted it out..

Now you're not even making sense anymore.

Now you're not even making sense anymore.

At no point did you say that you and who ever ealse was with you had the offer till someone told you you cant buy 2 tickets with the offer its only one per person, you also said that you went to buy 2 tickets didn't say anything about anyone ealse

• Advertisement

sendit, I am sorry if I hurt your feelings. The matter is quite simple: Omniplex are advertising an offer with certain attached terms and conditions. They are not following their own terms and conditions.

They could simply correct the terms and conditions, but so far they have not done so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement