Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo 4 - Remak of Halo 1 leaked

Options
  • 06-06-2011 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6317189/e3-2011-xboxcom-outs-halo-4-halo-hd-remake
    Even though Microsoft's press conference isn't for another two hours, several of its biggest surprises have already been revealed. Briefly this morning, the official Xbox.com E3 page flashed the software giant's entire lineup for the show that included some major debuts.

Microsoft accidentally let slip its big E3 news, it seems. Image credit: CVG.

According to a snapshot of the page acquired by CVG before it was hurriedly pulled down, the biggest game to be unveiled is Halo 4. Other than a screenshot of series heroine Cortana talking to the Master Chief, little was revealed about the game, other than it was a "return to the Halo universe."

Speaking of the Halo universe, the page also outed "Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary. As suspected, the game is an HD remake of the 2001 original, or, as Microsoft puts it: "The epic game that launched a universe, mastered for a new generation.

Also included in the leak was confirmation of Harmonix's latest boogie game, Dance Central 2. The news comes as no surprise, as Harmonix confirmed it would be showing a new game at the show and a domain name was registered for it just yesterday.

Lastly, the page showed something called "Ryse," a new title for Kinect. Besides its name, nothing more is known about the title, except that in it "you are the warrior" in an "action-packed Kinect experience."
    Gamers eager to hear official word of the above-mentioned games can tune in to Microsoft's media briefing, which is slated for 9 a.m. PDT today.

I really hope they don't ruin an epic game by making it for Kinetic.
    FPS games should not try and be fighter games IMO. Interesting news either way! I suspected Microsoft wouldn't let the Halo franchise die without squeezing every bit of cash possible out of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

From what I can deduce, CE remake doesn't come with a multiplayer. All they've done is update the campaign graphics and bundle it with some Reach maps.

Talk about the ultimate cash in. Money-grabbing pricks.

Halo 4 I think will run on the Reach engine? Could be worse just as long as they fix issues such as the bloom inconsistency, overpowered sniper etc.

(I could be wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

From what I can deduce, CE remake doesn't come with a multiplayer. All they've done is update the campaign graphics and bundle it with some Reach maps.

Talk about the ultimate cash in. Money-grabbing pricks.

Halo 4 I think will run on the Reach engine? Could be worse just as long as they fix issues such as the bloom inconsistency, overpowered sniper etc.

(I could be wrong)
    Did you not watch the E3 reveal? Comes with fully-updated campaign, campaign co-op, and 7 remastered maps

As for Halo 4, I've been thinking about that light at the end of the trailer. Surely the Forerunners? I couldn't see them introducing a new species, and aren't they putting out 3 Forerunner books over the next while?

Healium wrote: »
    Did you not watch the E3 reveal? Comes with fully-updated campaign, campaign co-op, and 7 remastered maps

Better graphics, co-op and 7 maps doesn't warrant €40+...

It's just like ODST. They're shipping the game with maps because they know that nobody would shell out just to play a classic in better graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Better graphics, co-op and 7 maps doesn't warrant €40+...

It's just like ODST. They're shipping the game with maps because they know that nobody would shell out just to play a classic in better graphics.
    1. How do you know it'll come with Reach maps?
    2. How do you know it'll be €40?

Healium wrote: »
    1. How do you know it'll come with Reach maps?
    2. How do you know it'll be €40?

The sneak peak of the maps had a reach engine: you could see armour lock, animated assassination and a DMR. I believe one of the 343 heads confirmed there would be no multiplayer for the CE remake. Therefore, the maps have to be for reach.

I can't say for sure it will be €40 but this is MS we're talking about and they know that there's enough fan boys out there that will shell out hard earned cash to play a game, only 10 years old, in better graphics when they can pick up the original for €5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

You make my head hurt smartly dressed. Stop your whining. Multiplayer has been confirmed by a behind the scenes video from 343.

Microsoft have said that the price will be very fair. (maybe €30/40 which i'd gladly pay for my favourite game ever).

Lets be real here, which would you buy if you had a choice to pay €5 for an xbox original game, which is strictly local play only. Or a new improved version of it, in HD, with Xbox Live features (co-op campaign, multiplayer), it will more than likely have all the features of reach, theater, forge etc. Firefight has been confirmed too, as well as achievements. I think I'd go with the remastered copy.

Also, not many games have reached 10 years of age in such good health as Halo, i think a 10 year anniversary is a fitting event. Halo has set the rules for all FPS's. (you can prob tell that i'm a fanboy :P )

I'll probably get slated for this, but i'm still not convinced about halo CE's gameplay standing up to scrutiny against the likes of halo 3 and reach, even with the improved graphics etc.

I LOVE halo, don't get me wrong, but when you go back and play Halo 1 now, ignoring the graphics and stuff, you can see how the FPS genre really has moved on. The AI are dumb and predictable, the environments are cut and pasted in a lot of places, there's loads of backtracking, and re-using the same environments, and loads of minor tweaks that happened in the genre over 10 years are really obviously missing. FPS production values really have jumped in the last decade. A re-release/remake of Halo 1 might end up being a victim of it's own success.

I would pick this up for the online multiplayer, improved graphics, and collect-ability value, and hope they stuff it full of extra features like forge, theatre, firefight, etc, to warrant the purchase, but the single player alone just wouldn't do it for me enough to justify even a moderate price tag. It's just too limited in comparison to what else will be on sale around it's release date in November, with GOW3 and MW3 being released around the same time, and a slew of other good shooters available too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I played through Halo 1 and 2 again recently and had a great time doing so, though perhaps I'm a lot more forgiving to the slightly outdated mechanics being a massive Halo fan. You are right though without question - Halo is pretty basic compared to the rollercoaster experience that current FPS titles offer, so it sure would be interesting to see how they rework the gameplay - I suspect some Call of Duty esque rollercoaster scripting may be involved?

I'm confused though, Sabre were supposed to be making Halo HD with their own in-house engine, but in that video it seems to clearly be the Reach one in places (assassination, etc)? Looks good though, would be the first one in the queue for this in November. Halo as a franchise is my favourite ever, and to revisit it where it all began with modern visuals is going to be awesome.

Oh...and as for 7 new maps, please bring back Coagulation/Blood Gulch! Can't believe that was dropped after Halo2, my most favourite map of all time....the amount of 2v2 games I've played on that map is sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

I'm confused though, Sabre were supposed to be making Halo HD with their own in-house engine, but in that video it seems to clearly be the Reach one in places (assassination, etc)? Looks good though, would be the first one in the queue for this in November. Halo as a franchise is my favourite ever, and to revisit it where it all began with modern visuals is going to be awesome.

Sabre have made the Campaign using their own engine, i think anyway, since the graphics in the campaign we've seen look crap, (not up to reach's standard anyway). And after seeing an E3 interview with 343, the multiplayer is loaded onto the disc and it's the exact same as reach, the 7 maps include a single firefight map too, so firefight is confirmed. :D

If you have a look at this video, you'll see the main menu. And see an option called: "Halo Reach Multiplayer". And all the proof for what i just said.

I'd say it's safe to assume that if firefight is in, then forge, theater etc are in, except campaign.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm7Rd9kabAo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Sabre have made the Campaign using their own engine, i think anyway, since the graphics in the campaign we've seen look crap, (not up to reach's standard anyway). And after seeing an E3 interview with 343, the multiplayer is loaded onto the disc and it's the exact same as reach, the 7 maps include a single firefight map too, so firefight is confirmed. :D

If you have a look at this video, you'll see the main menu. And see an option called: "Halo Reach Multiplayer". And all the proof for what i just said.

I'd say it's safe to assume that if firefight is in, then forge, theater etc are in, except campaign.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm7Rd9kabAo

Hopefully the multiplayer will be usable with the reach game. Unrealistic, but it would be awesome. (play reach maps in addition to the 7 new maps if you have reach + play halo AE maps on reach if you have AE)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ragbak

Hi guys,

You'll find pretty much all the answers in here:

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/foconnor_haloanniversary_qa.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gearheart

Cant wait for this remake, gamesradar had some new things up about halo four today with loads of concept art.

Advertisement