Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mathematical sciences vs finance?!?!

• 06-06-2011 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭

I am stuck between the two and with my leaving cert next this week :o I have been a bit confused about which to chose and finding it hard to study as a result.

Maths would be my favorite subject and I feel I am more businessy (accounting and economics) than sciency.

I know there is some maths in finance but it's not supposed to be that much

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Are you thinking of doing Financial Mathematics through Maths Science (MS)? MS (including Finance Maths) is a broad enough degree and you won't be short on options afterwards. Saying that, I'm led to believe that Finance is a broad degree too!

As regards the maths, there is'nt that much in Finance. The level is also a lot lower - you can get into Finance with LC ordinary maths whereas you need a B3 or above in honours to get into MS.

(I'm in MS myself, btw, if you want to ask any questions...)

Do you've any specific career plans? (You needn't :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Are you thinking of doing Financial Mathematics through Maths Science (MS)? MS (including Finance Maths) is a broad enough degree and you won't be short on options afterwards. Saying that, I'm led to believe that Finance is a broad degree too!

As regards the maths, there is'nt that much in Finance. The level is also a lot lower - you can get into Finance with LC ordinary maths whereas you need a B3 or above in honours to get into MS.

(I'm in MS myself, btw, if you want to ask any questions...)

Do you've any specific career plans? (You needn't :D)

Hey thanks :)
    Well at the moment I would go into the financial maths ya...... But I suppose I can always go the science way If I end up liking it more.
    Ya I am not to worried about the career path and all that at the moment...... Who knows where I will end up in a few years!

Am is MS a busy course? I know finance is not that jam packed with modules. I know I won't make a decisions on the basis of it but it does seem that you do alot of subjects in 1st year in MS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

I'm in Finance and was in a similar situation to you. Although it's not maths heavy, extreme comfort with numbers is a massive advantage.

I know of a financial maths student doing an accounting internship in one of the big 4 at the moment so although you'll have no exemptions for exams, the accounting world won't be closed to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Thanks :) think i have decided to do finance.....after today's maths paper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

Sounds familiar! After the 2008 accounting exam I seriously questioned why I wanted to do an accounting related course... believing that I would get a low B or C. I did a lot better than that as the marking scheme changed... and now I think at times I would actually have been better off doing Accounting instead of Finance!!

So try not to base it off that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement