Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul McShane Appreciation Society

• 06-06-2011 5:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

paul-mcshane_897073.jpg

Paul McShane has been made Captain of the ROI team for tomorrow night's friendly against Italy. This is surely a time to reflect on his finer moments:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,828 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

this thread will be epic!
    or shíte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Poor McShane it's amazing really how much abuse we give to players in our national team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Cruel but funny vid! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Oh dear.

Hunt seemed like the obvious choice in the absence of Keane and Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

So darkman finally proves she is Paul McShane's mother.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

For hard core fans....:cool:

Says he wants to be a manager some day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I have a theory about Trap's selection method. The more inadequate the player, the greater the chance he has of being selected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

He was legendary when we played the Czech's. Poor old Jan Koller diden't get a look in.

He was legendary when we played the Czech's. Poor old Jan Koller diden't get a look in.

Koller was past it by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

Poor McShane it's amazing really how much abuse we give to players in our national team!

I agree probably one of the greatest players ever to play for Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Hard working player with a good eye for goal..........................unfortunately it's usually his own goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

paulcorr wrote: »
    I agree probably one of the greatest players ever to play for Ireland.

Ahh yes, McGrath, Keane, Brady, McShane, Giles.

He fits right in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

He is not good enough, he should be nowhere near the squad, nevermind made captain. Fans are entitled to complain when players of that caliber get selected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

He's gets some abuse, especially with all facebook groups dedicated to him like

If Paul McShane can play for Ireland, so can I

and

Paul McShane is the only player left who can stop the Messi menace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

He's gets some abuse, especially with all facebook groups dedicated to him like

If Paul McShane can play for Ireland, so can I

and

Paul McShane is the only player left who can stop the Messi menace

Both joined, thanks for letting me know about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Really should be the shortest thread ever. Damn, I couldn't resist posting in it

greendom wrote: »
    Really should be the shortest thread ever. Damn, I couldn't resist posting in it

Would a "Paul McShane Depreciation Thread" really be more popular?.....Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

darkman2 wrote: »
    For hard core fans....:cool:

Says he wants to be a manager some day.

I hear McDonald's are hiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

bonerm wrote: »
    I hear McDonald's are hiring.

You could have a big mcshane burger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ultimately, McShane is a League One level professional who plays with great bravery and effort. It really isn't his fault that he has been selected for 50+ games at Premiership and International level. There is no doubt that he has been badly exposed in the majority of those games - but he has done well at Championship and League One level in the past, and no doubt he will eventually settle down in and around that level and do a job for another 8 - 10 years.

The hate he gets is pretty ridiculous imo. Though I really wish he had stuck something on that ball in the Stade de France...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

Why don't people give Paul McShane a break and reserve their hatred for the players that don't give a fk about their national team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The Shaneminator.

chris_owen_002.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I honestly think he is not upto international standard.... he probably never will be......but he is soon to captain Ireland.... that must be a misprint!?!

pbowenroe wrote: »
    Why don't people give Paul McShane a break and reserve their hatred for the players that don't give a fk about their national team?

I agree with the core point you're making.

It's just a laugh with McShane (at least as far I'm concerned), whereas the likes of James McCarthy aren't even worth talking about. They can stay away permanently if they think Ireland fixtures are some sort of à la carte experience. In this regard I'd cheer McShane or anyone else who turns up time after time and gives 100%. In fact I'm sickened by people on here talking about the future of the Irish midfield being built around McCarthy when all he's done is treat selection like a joke thusfar. Some fans are just complete mercenary in that regard.

Back on topic, I remember Richard Dunne being completely useless when he started for us and now you can move for reading posts here about how he'll be vital for the games in September.Who knows, maybe that could be the case for McShane in time, I doubt it, but who knows. We appreciate his commitment but still think he's a liability at the present time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Except when Koller scored (from memory..)

There was a massive campaign for him to play that game and the game before - McShane was being publicly proclaimed by fans as the next best thing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

I don't think he should be selected but some of the abuse he gets is over the top, at least he turns up unlike a growing number of young players...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

MEEEEEESSI! MEEEEEEEEESSI!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I agree with the core point you're making.

It's just a laugh with McShane (at least as far I'm concerned), whereas the likes of James McCarthy aren't even worth talking about. They can stay away permanently if they think Ireland fixtures are some sort of à la carte experience. In this regard I'd cheer McShane or anyone else who turns up time after time and gives 100%. In fact I'm sickened by people on here talking about the future of the Irish midfield being built around McCarthy when all he's done is treat selection like a joke thusfar. Some fans are just complete mercenary in that regard.
    McCarthy is injured, just because he didn't fly over to show them doesn't mean he thinks it's a joke, don't forget he picked Ireland over Scotland because of his Irish roots so he's obviously committed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

papagormo wrote: »
    this thread will be epic!
    or shíte

How about, Epic shìte?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paul-McShane-is-a-Donkey/377662209223?ref=ts

I do like this facebook group I must say! The Messi Menace is probably the best though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Mcshane isn't fit to skipper a canoe, nevermind a football team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

dfx- wrote: »
    Except when Koller scored (from memory..)

There was a massive campaign for him to play that game and the game before - McShane was being publicly proclaimed by fans as the next best thing..

Yea he made his debeut on the Wednesday night after the 5-2 hammering in Cyprus in Oct '06

He kept Koller quiet for most of the game and surpassed pre-game expectations but was at fault for their goal.

Eire were 1-0 up at the time and it finished 1-1, thanks for costing us 2 points McShane :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Back on topic, I remember Richard Dunne being completely useless when he started for us and now you can move for reading posts here about how he'll be vital for the games in September.Who knows, maybe that could be the case for McShane in time, I doubt it, but who knows. We appreciate his commitment but still think he's a liability at the present time.

I always bring up this point when McShane comes in for a slagging, he was also supposed to have been a quality schoolboy player and was signed by Man United so I really really believe/hope he actually has some talent in him somewhere. Right now as you say he is a liability and I can see him being a Championship player for a long time. He doesn't deserve most of the abuse either, he gives it 100% every time unlike some others.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    McCarthy is injured, just because he didn't fly over to show them doesn't mean he thinks it's a joke, don't forget he picked Ireland over Scotland because of his Irish roots so he's obviously committed.

He has missed 10 out of 12 games since his debut. That's not commitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

pbowenroe wrote: »

Well at least he turns up and tries his best.
    Technically isn't very good, but at least he does try.
    Liam O wrote: »

But is he really injured ?
    By the looks of it himself and some other so called great prospects treat the management team with contempt.
    Did another actually text that he was unavailable ?
    Dots1982 wrote: »
    Mcshane isn't fit to skipper a canoe, nevermind a football team.

Depends on how many are in the canoe, doesn't it ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

He has missed 10 out of 12 games since his debut. That's not commitment.

We've had 12 games since 28th of March?

Rooney10 wrote: »
    We've had 12 games since 28th of March?

Since Feb 2010 .... when he made his debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

How many Irish players can say they captained a team that beat four time World Cup winners Italy? Paul McShane can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

In fairness, McShane had a good game against Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

jmayo wrote: »
    Well at least he turns up and tries his best.
    Well that's it settled then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm happy for him, he gets a lot of criticism, (most of it well deserved!) but tonight is proof positive that every dog does indeed have its day. Probably he highlight of his career I'd imagine. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

In fairness, McShane had a good game against Italy.

Defensively i suppose you could say he had an ok game , on the ball he was an absolute liability - gave it away constantly with dreadful passing. He shouldnt be near the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Hoki wrote: »
    Defensively i suppose you could say he had an ok game , on the ball he was an absolute liability - gave it away constantly with dreadful passing. He shouldnt be near the team.

I don't think he gave it away that much, he did a few times just hoof it down the pitch or out of play when there was no options, i'd blame Andrews and Foley for that though, nobody was looking for the ball.

I wouldn't get too carried away with his performance but he did good and I'm sure he is delighted with the result, should be the confidence boost he needs.

Hoki wrote: »

I agree. Hunt was the real workhorse tonight. Nice assist for the 2nd too!

Surprised he wasn't captain.

Does this mean Macca will be Captain for the Slovak game?

McShane for the Euros!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Seen him in the paper today "Roy Keane has turned everyone against me"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Seen him in the paper today "Roy Keane has turned everyone against me"

Of course

it's got nothing to do with his performances ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement