Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul McShane Appreciation Society

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

darkman2 wrote: »
    McShane for the Euros!

As a supporter and not a player hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

a fine big kick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

The hate he gets is pretty ridiculous imo. Though I really wish he had stuck something on that ball in the Stade de France...:(

gets a fair amount of stick for sure - but in fairness in the aftermath of Paris nobody gave him any for such poor defending - usually a brave player , but it was all about Henry rather than wondering how a ball was allowed drop in our box - he got of lightly on that one. Very average player , but what does that make me ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

thebaz wrote: »
    Very average player , but what does that make me ?

Well, he's 'very average' in the Premiership sense (probably 'poor' at that level actually). He becomes 'solid' in the Championship sense though, and if a League One club signed him he might be considered a key defensive building block. It's all relative.

In terms of what it makes you, think about how good you'd have to be to start for an Intermediate team in this country or get near a First Division squad...aul Paul McShane might as well be Messi as far as most of us are concerned. :) Was at the England / Ireland game there a few weeks back with a lad who played DDSL in the same age group as McShane. He joked when he came on about how McShane destroyed people at Joey's before making the move over to Utd. It's funny how we perceive things / how absurdly difficult the sharp end of the game is.

Then on the other side of the coin you have lads like Samaras who enjoy very average careers but rock up to major tournaments in the right context for their country and make a decisive impact in games on the biggest stage of them all. Strange sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

or get near a First Division squad

Unfortunately, not very :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

CSF wrote: »
    Unfortunately, not very :-(

Arrah, while Cabinteely have / had a few interesting characters and there is no doubt that players better than that level choose a job and intermediate / junior football I think you still have to be very, very good to cut it at that level!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Arrah, while Cabinteely have / had a few interesting characters and there is no doubt that players better than that level choose a job and intermediate / junior football I think you still have to be very, very good to cut it at that level!!
    I'll give you this much, even the lower level First Division players (and by god there have been some awful ones), are better than people who aren't footballers ;)

But I'll take some convincing to be told that some of the players I've seen at Shels since relegation are any better than your average LSL/AUL player. At Cabinteely, Cobh, or some of the now defunct (sort of) Galway LOI clubs that level has been lower again from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

In terms of what it makes you, think about how good you'd have to be to start for an Intermediate team in this country or get near a First Division squad...aul Paul McShane might as well be Messi as far as most of us are concerned. :)

thats my point - I played Leinster senior league for awhile ... but was way off league of Ireland - like McShane I was all heart (but in midfield) -- thats why I find it so hard to bemoan someone like McShane , when he would put my old slim bit of skill to shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Thought he played reasonably well with Hull whenever I saw him this season. Bruce being forced to begrudgingly acknowledge that he had been playing well and bring him back into the side after his (Bruce's) hissy fit was quite funny.

Playing with the 3 at the back certainly helped McShane in that sense though, I highly doubt he'd have been anywhere near as good in a 2 man CB partnership.

One thing I will say however is that McShane being let go while Alex Bruce was given a new contract was ridiculous and, considering there can't have been too much difference in what each was earning, was nepotism pure and simple.

• Advertisement

Lovely goal by McShane yesterday, captain fantastic led his team into the FA Cup quarters.

As he said himself, no point getting to the final at Wembley if you don't win it.

Could be a key man at Euro 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Well, he's 'very average' in the Premiership sense (probably 'poor' at that level actually). He becomes 'solid' in the Championship sense though, and if a League One club signed him he might be considered a key defensive building block. It's all relative.

In terms of what it makes you, think about how good you'd have to be to start for an Intermediate team in this country or get near a First Division squad...aul Paul McShane might as well be Messi as far as most of us are concerned. :) Was at the England / Ireland game there a few weeks back with a lad who played DDSL in the same age group as McShane. He joked when he came on about how McShane destroyed people at Joey's before making the move over to Utd. It's funny how we perceive things / how absurdly difficult the sharp end of the game is.

Then on the other side of the coin you have lads like Samaras who enjoy very average careers but rock up to major tournaments in the right context for their country and make a decisive impact in games on the biggest stage of them all. Strange sport.

I would have been fairly ****e as a player (by our standards) but played for a half decent underage team. We played a young Noel Hunt once and he literally scored when he wanted. He might have scored 5 that day and just danced past everyone. I remembered his name because in my mind he was every but as good as Brazilian Ronaldo. It's frightening to think what you Ronaldo's/Messi's would actually do to an average local team at full tilt.

McShane is back in the Ireland XI tonight v Slovakia.

Just in time to make his case for Euro 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Oh dear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Patser

Oh dear

O g.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

A video from 8 years ago.
    Don't ever change.

• Advertisement

I thought the obligatory mistake was out of the way after the first Slovakian goal.

Still though, great finish by McShane was the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He was at fault for the first goal too. I admire his spirit and you cant deny he tries his heart out but he's not international class. That was a half arsed Slovakian team and he was out of his depth. There's no way he should go to the Euros.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

His 1st pass last night. Simple ball down the line to Christie. Goes straight into touch about 6 yards away from Christie. He's a liability!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

both McShane and Stephen Ward have 'liability' written all over them. McShane I thought with experience would iron the mistakes out of his game but no he really never fails to disappoint quite literally. Nobody as previously said can question his dedication and work ethic boy does he try but he isn't good enough at this level and too rash and error prone. He will probably go to the Euros even though we have better options. Ward will also go as we have feck all players who can play left full. In saying that neither can he though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Seems like a v nice lad but his ship sailed and Columbus was on it.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    both McShane and Stephen Ward have 'liability' written all over them. McShane I thought with experience would iron the mistakes out of his game but no he really never fails to disappoint quite literally. Nobody as previously said can question his dedication and work ethic boy does he try but he isn't good enough at this level and too rash and error prone. He will probably go to the Euros even though we have better options. Ward will also go as we have feck all players who can play left full. In saying that neither can he though.

O'Shea, Keogh, Clarke, Wilson (if fit), Pearce and maybe Duffy should all be ahead of him.
    There was also talk of Delaney making himself available in the case of an emergency*

* and yes, the prospect of McShane making the squad counts as an emergency

From RTE:
    McShane misjudged a header just inside his own half after 14 minutes which allowed Eric Sabo to break through and pass for Miroslav Stoch to break the deadlock.
    "The ball just bounced and I thought I could get there so I threw my head at it and he just got a flick over my head," McShane told RTÉ Sport.
    "He broke through and squared it and they scored. It was bad mistiming from myself, maybe I should have just retreated back a little bit."
    Just before half-time, it appeared that McShane had deflected Peter Pekarik's cross into his own net but he claimed Slovak attacker Robert Vittek had handled the ball.
    "The second one, he got a run across me and I was thinking it would come at me mid-height.
    "I was thinking 'I don't know how he's managed to get it in' and looking back he's thrown his hand across and got it on his hand.
    As for his chances of making Martin O'Neill's final 23, McShane was brutally honest but not giving up hope.
    "I don't know," he said. "It was disappointing on my behalf for the two goals tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Agreed, the prospect of either Ward or McShane going up against quality international teams is just scary.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Our options at lb are pretty sparse tbh. Brady is better further up the pitch and his defending can be dodgy at times. Wilson is struggling for fitness and game time this season. Not sure who else we can put at lb ahead of Ward? Clark maybe?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Our options at lb are pretty sparse tbh. Brady is better further up the pitch and his defending can be dodgy at times. Wilson is struggling for fitness and game time this season. Not sure who else we can put at lb ahead of Ward? Clark maybe?

Play Coleman and Christie as our fullbacks. Ok one would be playing out of position but whoever it would be would do a better job then Ward. I like Brady but not as a defender, he was caught out a few times when he has played there for us.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not a bad suggestion

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Wilson can play left full. I'd play him there if we're playing 4-5-1 so Brady can be more advanced (and it really should be 4-5-1).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Derrick Williams probably should have been given a chance at this stage, not too many Irish left full backs getting chances at Championship level or better.

Charged with violent conduct.

This won't help his Euro 2016 prospects,
    http://m.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0414/781882-paul-mcshane/

Bad timing, especially after his poor display and own goal in the last friendly

Advertisement