Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned From Shooting

Options
  • 06-06-2011 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

I posted 4 times in a light weight thread where the thread starter was looking for input on where to buy a pair of trousers. One of my posts provided input on the subject. After 37 posts, I commented on the apparent indecision on the part of the the thread starter in reaching a conclusion. He replied, I commented again. I can not access the Shooting forum to quote these posts.
    Some hours later, I noticed the thread had been closed and my last two posts had disappeared. The thread starter and the MOD who closed the thread are friends so I PM'd the mod and reported the MOD's closing post. As a result, I got banned for a month.
    The thread was, in my opinion, a trivial discussion. My posts were not rude as you will see when you examine the thread. What was rude was removing my posts and closing the thread without any explanation.
    My PM to the Mod was critical but again not rude.
    My comments on reporting the post asked for an admin to be involved as the Cat Mod likely to get involved has shown disfavour to me in the past. As the CM has already been involved, it is appropriate to have an ADMIN look at this process now with a view to:
    1. Re-instating my posts on the original thread so that people can judge for themselves.
    2. Removing the ban as it seems heavy handed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Your "not rude" posts were:
    Too much choice.
    Well Tack, you have had 37 posts trying to help you find a pair of trousers. If I were you, I would keep my indecisiveness to myself and wander into TK Maxx, look at the "clearance" rail and I am sure you would find something that did the job.
    The Twit(ter) generation
    I am very decisive, I only buy what I want; not what others tell me to buy.
    Then why ask? Perhaps I am just out of touch with the twitter users who seem to want to share every trivial bit of their existence with any one who will take the time to read it.

Perhaps your definition of "rude" is different: certainly your PMs to the shooting mods suggest so:
    I used the "report post procedure" for "making accusations of bias, and inaction on behalf of the moderator(s), and Category Moderator" not Private Messaging. I did use the PM process to tell you my opinion of your good self however. So please correct your ban to state the facts accurately.
    p.s. did my "report post" make it past the category moderator?

The reported post in particular being this (lest you feel it might not make it past me, and lest you feel that somehow both cat mods have a bias against you):
    Ezridax has intervened in this thread to reduce the embarrassment caused to his friend Tackleberrywho resulting from him posting a thread about buying trousers. His logic is that anyone can post what they want, implying that anyone who commented on the post(for it's banality), as I did, is out of order. Surely this is a self defeating argument? I would like an Admin to respond to this and not Sparks who will only defend the status quo.

This on top of prior bans from the forum because you were using multiple accounts and generally being unpleasant in the process (thus breaking the boards rule of "don't be a dick") led to your ban.

It's now up to Khannie to review this, not an Admin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fourtycoats

Thank you Sparks for doing the research which your ban prevented me from carrying out. I did not appreciate that this forum is interactive but now that this is the case, how wonderful! The fact that this episode has resulted from a thread about buying trousers made me a little reluctant to start it up but you have helped overcome my reluctance. The clear animosity which is displayed in your post, together with your reference to matters that are not connected with this issue should be noted by any reviewer. Is Khannie another CM from the Shooting Forum? If so it means I still have an appeal to go to an Admin?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Is Khannie another CM from the Shooting Forum? If so it means I still have an appeal to go to an Admin?

I am the category mod for the sports category (which includes the shooting forum). Other than that I have nothing to do with the shooting forum. As suggested by Sparks I'll have a look at your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

OK, I've reviewed this. I was going to wait on some PM conversations to be forwarded to me but I can't see them having any material impact. This seems fairly cut and dry.

You do not have the right to come into a thread and comment on the perceived triviality of it. People are free to start threads on whatever they want within the remit of a charter. Just because you find it trivial (or their rate of decision making isn't to your liking) doesn't give you the right to start spoiling the thread as you did. There is nothing self defeating about this. It stops people like you from spoiling threads that they're not interested in, just because they don't find them interesting. Most people don't find most threads interesting. They just stay out of them.

Your perception that previous history shouldn't be taken into account is incorrect. You have been previously banned from the forum for using multiple accounts. Previous ban history is relevant to the ban duration in this case.

Your posts were both rude and uncalled for. In future if you don't like a thread topic then stay out of the thread.

A month is on the high side for a ban, but given that this is your second ban with a total of less than 100 posts from this account (most of which are in for-sale forums) it seems entirely justified and I wont be overturning it.

On the issue of post reinstatement: I will not be reinstating your deleted posts under any circumstances. They contributed nothing positive.

Advertisement