Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nap habits...

• 06-06-2011 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what other parents do about naps.

Up til about two weeks ago our two year old used to take a nap in the middle of the day, but sometimes it would come back on us and he'd be awake all night as a result.

Recently its been a struggle getting him down for a nap, one day i spent a full hour trying and then gave up...he was still looking tired for the rest of the day but passed out in bed after his bath at about 8.45, which is the earliest in a while.

Its been like that for the last few days now, no nap and a really early bedtime, he's still sleeping 10 to 11 hours, not all the way through, he wakes up and pads into our room which we don't mind.

Any nap advice? i suppose they just grow out of it? (although today we were out all morning and he went for a little siesta!!)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If he is tired let him nap if not leave him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Bridget hasn't had a nap in about 6 months ( she's 28 months now) but she is in bed every night before 7 and sleeps for 12 hours minimum. She fell asleep oon the couch once in that 6 months. She just grew out of naps overnight.

However to me 8.45 seems very late for a toddler even with a nap. I'd cut out the nap and put him to bed earlier.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my 2 year old goes to bed between 8 and 9 on school nights and gets up about 8:15 for school.

She sleeps for about 2 hours in the afternoon most days but not every day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

2 year old; two hour nap during the day when at home (an hour when at crèche) and in bed at seven for 12 hours sleep. Same for the last year at least.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

My little lad seems to have little power naps after his meals.. he'll usually go down in his cot for an hour or so after his breakfast, and then a few little sleeps throughout the day in his pram for maybe 20 minutes at a time.. and he sleeps through the nite most nights (*touches wood*) :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Our two year old dropped her nap and there was not much we could do about it other than take her for a drive or a walk, even then she wouldn't get a decent long sleep. If your child is staying up that late it might be easier for you to drop the nap and get her down early- by 7pm at the latest. I find that if we leave it much later than this, even if she hasn't had a nap its a struggle to get her to sleep cause she's overtired, but if you get the bedtime routine going early they'll be glad to go to bed without a fuss, and you get a few hours to yourselves in the evening! Best of luck!

Advertisement