Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice looking locations in/around Drogheda town?

Options
  • 06-06-2011 6:39pm

Hey all,

Looking to get some photography practice under the ould belt. Will hopefully be taking photographs of people in the coming times.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any decent looking places around the town that could be used as backgrounds/locations at all, preferably where not too many people hang out?

The only places that come to my mind are;

1. Battle of the Boyne site; a bit of a distance from the town, so a bit of hassle to get to, but they take care of their green areas and the place is generally nice to look at.

2. That abandoned old place across from Drogheda Port, on the Marsh Road. Looks something like an old unused version of the FloGas place just up the road from it, with all the giant tanks and such. Bit dirty, and graffiti everywhere, so it's got a very limited use, but it's generally a quiet place.

3. Bus to Mornington Beach from Scotch Hall. Doesn't take too long and the beach isn't that bad looking. Bit out of the way (though quicker by bus than the Battle of the Boyne is by foot).

Ramparts is generally knackery and filthy, so that rules that out, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to anywhere else at all. Was just wondering if anyone else knew of any decent looking places?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

3165630-Mellifont_Abbey-Drogheda.jpg

mellifont abbey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

+1 for Mellifont Abbey, it's lovely!

Also, you could go to Monasterboice Round Tower but watch your car, read in the paper that it's a haven for ppl breaking into cars :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Walk out the Baltray road could be nice, haven't been down there in a few years but there used to be a park at the viaduct there.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

The Hill of Slane
    Monasterboice Round Tower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Down the Marsh Rd past Scotch Hall - should be able to get some good pics of the railway viaduct?

Similar photos under the cable bridge along the river maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I would joke and say "the nearest road out of Drogheda" but I've always liked the "new" Mellifont Abbey beside Collon where the Cistercian monks are. A nice and peaceful place to walk around where you can take a lot of differnet types of shot depending where on the grounds you are. Woodland, streams, the small gardens, the cultivated fields and cattle all near each other and without trespassing on some poor farmer's land:)

Hi guys, cheers for the suggestions. Mellifont Abbey look snice, but I think it's a bit too far out of the way.

Was doing a bit of Google-Earthing and came across a rock quarry up past Aldi;

4942898.jpg

Does anyone know if you can venture down into it or what the story is with it at all? Looks like a nice open area where there'd be feck all people around, and the greenery could make for a nice background. Have been around that area before, but never actually seen it. Only Google Earth images to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

How about the walk along the river? Can be nice if you get the weather so should give you some nice opportunties for photos. There is also Towny Hall if your legd take you that far...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Does anyone know if you can venture down into it or what the story is with it at all? Looks like a nice open area where there'd be feck all people around, and the greenery could make for a nice background. Have been around that area before, but never actually seen it. Only Google Earth images to go on.

I think its fairly well secured, we used to play down there as kids, building rafts and sailing out into the middle.
    If you try access from the cement road side through the fence, that would be your best bet.

Not too keen on the river walk. Just a dull path that doesn't look like it's ever been taken care of by anyone. Ramparts aren't too bad but very empty.

Never thought of Townley Hall. Could be an idea there alright.

Does anyone know if the green area beside the Boyne Valley would be any use (ie; can Joe Soaps like myself get into/onto it or is it closed off or...?)

Google Image I seen of it;

41488619.jpg

OldBridge house is a place I was thinking of, but last time I was there taking photographs (with another photographer and a girl posing for us) a woman working at the centre appraoched us and told us commercial/professional photography isn't allowed.

I'm not a pro at all, but I do use some proper gear, which to Joe Soap would make me look like a pro alright, so as much as I'd like to head back there, I don't really want to get them giving me grief over taking a few photos, and nor do i want to cause them any hassle, either :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭positron

Shane, I had a look at you gallery, amazing photos. Just thought about this - Boyne Valley Hotel's garden at the rear is very pretty. They have flowing water, nice plants, little cottage etc - pretty good looking setting on a good day, however, as they are a business, I am not sure if they would let you use it or not, but why not ask them? You can check it out if you go into their bar / conservatory area and step out into the garden.

Thanks very much for the comment, Positron. :)

I'll most likely be taking photos tomorrow, so I'm gonna have to pass on the Boyne Valley gardens for the moment, and ask them at a later date, or before I do another bit of portraiture.

I've got the Battle of the Boyne contact number, so I'm in two minds about ringing them. If I ring them there's a chance they'll say no (whereas if i just waltz up and start taking them, they may not even notice).

Ah decisions, decisions. May have to take a look at Townley Hall, too.

Cheers for everyone's help here. I'll let you guys know where I ended up.

Well I ended up out at the Townley Hall. Weather was grand, and nice light too (though a bit darker than I'd have liked, amidst the trees).

Not a bad little place at all. I'm surprised at how clean it is, actually. I was expecting it to be destroyed in all sorts of dirt.

Anyway, this is what I ended up with if anyone cares;

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.174273949300808.44899.122674161127454

I found a little rocky/empty kinda area up at millmount too, that overlooks the town (at the back of the camera club, I believe), so between that, Mornington Beach just out the road and Townley Hall so far, that's three places I know of that I've been to take photographs where I'm allowed and it's relatively quiet. Will still need to find a few more if I can.

Must take a look at that Mellifont Abbey place sometime, though it seems a fair bit of a distance from the town itself.

Thanks very much for the comment, Positron. :)

I'll most likely be taking photos tomorrow, so I'm gonna have to pass on the Boyne Valley gardens for the moment, and ask them at a later date, or before I do another bit of portraiture.

I've got the Battle of the Boyne contact number, so I'm in two minds about ringing them. If I ring them there's a chance they'll say no (whereas if i just waltz up and start taking them, they may not even notice).

Ah decisions, decisions. May have to take a look at Townley Hall, too.

Cheers for everyone's help here. I'll let you guys know where I ended up.

There is actually (Or was ) a nice walk up around there that wouldn't actually take you onto the Old Bridge House site at all. If you are coming from Drogheda along the river take the left before you come to the gates of the House and there is a gate up on the right a wee bit , took the dog round that way a couple of years ago. Others might be able to explain the location a little better than I have :o

calex71 wrote: »
    There is actually (Or was ) a nice walk up around there that wouldn't actually take you onto the Old Bridge House site at all. If you are coming from Drogheda along the river take the left before you come to the gates of the House and there is a gate up on the right a wee bit , took the dog round that way a couple of years ago. Others might be able to explain the location a little better than I have :o

I've never been to the place you're talking about, but I do think I know the general direction you're going (I don't think I ever turned left before reaching Oldbridge).

If it's just a long path then it may not really be of much use :( Need something along the way to interact with, really. I was happy as larry in Townley, as it had picnic benches/tables, trees, small bridge thingy, etc.

If I could find more places similar to that would be great.

The place up beside Millmount I mention in my earlier post, is very similar. It has a few big rocks (knee height) you can sit on, railings you can hold or climb on, small stairway, few small trees, etc. so there's plenty to interact with.

Townley is nice and happy, upbeat and green, Millmount has a rough rock kind look about it. Though I haven't been to Mellifont yet, from images online, it looks like a bit of a mixture between the two. Oldbridge is similar to Townley, but has the canons/house/etc. so can have a bit of a vintage or old look about it (plus it was very, very clean and taken care of when I was last there). Mornington could potentially have nice beach shots (haven't photographed anyone there yet, unfortunately... any volunteers :p)

It's just a pity that Mellifont, Mornington, Oldbridge and Townley are such a distance from the town centre. :(

It curves around the Oldbridge site so you can get the house in the background at a part of it, also it then allows you access to that prettier side of the river too along the way from what I remember, but like I said a couple of years since I was out that way. It's not a path per-say it's a mowed and fenced in path around the field mostly.

*Looks out and checks weather and mood of dog* :)

Dog Status = Frisky
    Weather looks ok too, might take a wander out myself later.

Well I don't think I'll be too busy over the weekend, so I may take a mooch up and see what the place is like. Would probably do me no harm to take a good cycle around the town, down any alleys and around the backs of buildings and see if there's any open areas I can find.

Was going to suggest Thorsmans but from the looks of the video on your site you've been there , what's the song on that video ????? It's very familiar to me.

Was passing it today and thought of the graveyard at the top of peters st. at the church of ireland might be a quiet spot also the one up the chord rd too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Just going to mention that the new and old Mellifont Abbeys are very different places!

calex71 wrote: »
    Was going to suggest Thorsmans but from the looks of the video on your site you've been there , what's the song on that video ????? It's very familiar to me.

Was passing it today and thought of the graveyard at the top of peters st. at the church of ireland might be a quiet spot also the one up the chord rd too.

'Summer Madness' by Kool and the Gang, I do believe.

Can I ask you which photograph is from Thorsmans? Never heard that name before (and a fair few of my photos would be from random places I've never really looked around too much, so I may take a second look some time).

Will take a look at the graveyard up at St. Peters street. Is it the one that's up a small laneway, across from the back of the Laurence Centre/Barbican? I think i was at it once before, but at night, and it was locked.

• Advertisement

Oh, there was one that looked like it was shot in disused factory with graffiti inside it, I assumed it was the old Throsmans factory on the industrial est. off donore rd. you'd be trespassing i guess but the site is unsecured and no fence to speak of, I've seen kids skateboarding in it.

Graveyard is just there at the crossroads at the top of peters st laurances center yes.

Oh yeah, I know the place you're talking of, and I have been there. Just wasn't familiar with the name Thorsmans, so just thought I'd ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

A bit out of town but up the Head in Clogherhead is nice enough with great views. Nice walk too.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DaDartle

Beaulieu House and the woods across the road are nice. It's got a pond, woods, birds, trees. take a left off the baltray road about a mile outside of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

DaDartle wrote: »
    Beaulieu House and the woods across the road are nice. It's got a pond, woods, birds, trees. take a left off the baltray road about a mile outside of town.

Is there public access to Beaulieu House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Nice looking locations in/around Drogheda town?

Dundalk.

(:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

I live on the northside of the boyne and travel into Drogheda along the river from the east side most mornings...Its quite unique terrain and there are some great vistas across the river given the right time of day...I prefer dawn and dusk for more dramatic contrast...good hunting.

I've actually heard someone mention the forestry/lake area across from Beaulieu house. Must take a look at that, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Looking to get some photography practice under the ould belt. Will hopefully be taking photographs of people in the coming times.
    The top story of the Haymarket Carpark has some pretty impressive panoramic views of Drogheda town. I've been meaning to try to take some snaps up there for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

The top story of the Haymarket Carpark has some pretty impressive panoramic views of Drogheda town. I've been meaning to try to take some snaps up there for ages.

Good thinkin. Must doddle up there some day

Advertisement